2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Cable system is to costly to maintain. Getting people to sit through 3 hours of commercials and interruptions such as Woods and showing multiple crashes of yesteryear. The TV directors are not Nascar fans and so have no concept of what content they should use. Heaven forbid that anyone would assume people tuned in to watch the current race. I am also going to assume that people don't drive across country to watch the entertainment provided. Is it safe to say most of them go to see a race?
When Nascar wakes up, they will realize that they are missing the boat and that selling the rights to the series may be fine but they should have their own production company and thus also cash in on streaming rights.
Good point. The Yankees dramatically increased their revenue and overall worth with the Yes channel.

Good news as the Darlington race had a bit better rating than first reported pushing it to a little over 3 million viewers. Most of the demo info is similar to other races with 63% of the viewers aged 50 and over only 11.5% of the viewers between 18-34. Feel free to spin the numbers any way you wish.

It was a good read especially the streaming info that is being counted. Pretty soon the only thing left for the excuse makers to say will be that Nascar ratings don't include the 2 million people aged 18-34 that stream illegally each week........:D

It was a good read especially the streaming info that is being counted.

I agree, that article had a lot of good information for those interested in the numbers and industry in general. Sounds like streaming is being included, but quite haphazardly with extremely small sample sizes. However, all of the available info thus far suggests that streaming audiences are growing but still very small relative to traditional TV numbers.

I agree, that article had a lot of good information for those interested in the numbers and industry in general. Sounds like streaming is being included, but quite haphazardly with extremely small sample sizes. However, all of the available info thus far suggests that streaming audiences are growing but still very small relative to traditional TV numbers.

My guess is that the programming with the youngest viewers will see the most rapid rise in streaming as I am not sure I even know a younger person that owns a for real TV any longer. I think that programming that skews old like Nascar will still see a rise in streaming numbers but not to the degree that younger oriented sports and entertainment do.

I believe that the rising costs of television and the near lack of any shows worth watching means that live streaming will be the broadcasting method of the future.

I don't care what platform is used to deliver programming as long as I have an option not to watch commercials and it has the content I want. Rabbit ears, C-Band, Ku Band, Internet, small satellite.......its all good.

I had upgraded my internet connection (Comcast internet tests at 100M) and while streaming a movie (via Vudu) the movie stopped and the message stated my connection wasn't adequate. I don't think streaming is there yet.

I had upgraded my internet connection (Comcast internet tests at 100M) and while streaming a movie (via Vudu) the movie stopped and the message stated my connection wasn't adequate. I don't think streaming is there yet.
I'm not familiar with Vudu but a 100Mbps connection is more than capable of streaming internet video content. I pay for 200Mbps. Some of my devices are on the older side and can't connect at near that speed. Even on my oldest PC connecting @ somewhere about 30Mbps still streams without error. I don't know what the problem would be that you're encountering.

I'm not familiar with Vudu but a 100Mbps connection is more than capable of streaming internet video content. I pay for 200Mbps. Some of my devices are on the older side and can't connect at near that speed. Even on my oldest PC connecting @ somewhere about 30Mbps still streams without error. I don't know what the problem would be that you're encountering.
I suspect the internet may bog down with more and more people streaming (video takes a lot of bandwidth) or Comcast might be messing with competitors.

the last two or three days I have noticed a slowdown accessing websites and certain stations would freeze for a moment . Could be your provider or whatnot..temporary. Mine has sent me messages about sun spots at certain times of the year. :idunno:

the last two or three days I have noticed a slowdown accessing websites and certain stations would freeze for a moment . Could be your provider or whatnot..temporary. Mine has sent me messages about sun spots at certain times of the year. :idunno:

Who'd a thunk geostationary satellites were particularly vulnerable to sunspots. I think Mary Kay makes something to help with that but it could be age spots.

Sunspots slowing down the net. You learn something new every day. :cool:

My guess would be the pending Hurricane about to hit our friends in Florida. Captivating subject IMO. I know I've been doing a lot of Weather Channel streaming and news site surfing. Certainly more than usual. I don't think I'm alone in that. Thinking back to 9/11..... The day the internet stood still. A lot of net traffic can certainly cause issues.

Sunspots slowing down the net. You learn something new every day. :cool:

My guess would be the pending Hurricane about to hit our friends in Florida. Captivating subject IMO. I know I've been doing a lot of Weather Channel streaming and news site surfing. Certainly more than usual. I don't think I'm alone in that. Thinking back to 9/11..... The day the internet stood still. A lot of net traffic can certainly cause issues.

I was thinking the same thing, my wunderground weather site has been almost impossible to pull up at times. Yeah sun spots messing up the satellite. And get this, it was only at a certain time window in the afternoon for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking the same thing, my wunderground weather site has been almost impossible to pull up at times. Yeah sun spots messing up the satellite. And get this, it was only at a certain time window in the afternoon for a couple of weeks.
I am not sure what the name for it is but I remember a time or three where my BUD, (Big Ugly Dish), would be pointed at a satellite that was directly in line with the sun. When that would happen there would be a complete signal loss for its duration. I'm not sure that I've ever noticed it with my DirecTV or Dish Network dish but I'd guess that it's more than possible..... just like an eclipse.

yeah the phone company gets the cable signal and has a huge dish, but they ran an underground cable around the back side of the lake and over here to the peninsula since then and no more notifications, but it still freezes up sometimes, but not for as long. and it seem to be only on the channel I am watching..grrr. It used to go out the whole weekend and I would miss the races years ago..so progress not perfection.

Make sure your router is at least DOCSIS 3.0.

Holy Schnikes!

There have been rain delayed races with higher viewership.

BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS!

Football is more popular than racing in America.

FILM AT 11:00.

Wow,I kept looking for the Richmond race ratings.They did beat the dragon ball final,whatever the heck that is.The people at NBC responsible for bidding on the NASCAR contract have to be looking over their shoulder.

A few short years ago if you had told someone that any Nascar race would only draw about 2 million viewers they would have said you were nuts.

BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS!

Football is more popular than racing in America.

FILM AT 11:00.

Forget football as Nascar got beat by a SMERCONISH. IDK What a SMERCONISH is or what the acronym stands for (something like the Man From Uncle perhaps) but Nascar got SMERCED! Women's tennis got close to Nascar as did Judge Janeane which I assume is a latter day Wapner thing.

It seems like millions of people have had false memories implanted as according to you and Brian the racing today has never been better but the better it gets the less people watch. Why do you think that is?

Forget football as Nascar got beat by a SMERCONISH. IDK What a SMERCONISH is or what the acronym stands for (something like the Man From Uncle perhaps) but Nascar got SMERCED! Women's tennis got close to Nascar as did Judge Janeane which I assume is a latter day Wapner thing.

It seems like millions of people have had false memories implanted as according to you and Brian the racing today has never been better but the better it gets the less people watch. Why do you think that is?

SMERCONISH is a radio talk show host. He has a show on Saturday mornings at 9:00 AM on CNN, and they show a repeat at 6 PM.

So, yes, NASCAR got beaten by a news talk show rerun on cable TV.

SMERCONISH is a radio talk show host. He has a show on Saturday mornings at 9:00 AM on CNN, and they show a repeat at 6 PM.

So, yes, NASCAR got beaten by a news talk show rerun on cable TV.

Ouch!

But....nothing's wrong. :)

Normally when something that is not flattering to Nascar is posted a few good people stop by and start getting all silly with Nascar deathbed talk because there is no reasonable way to refute what has been said. Maybe they will do a drive by later but when you have a cup race that draws 2 million viewers that used to have 3 to 4 times more viewers there is not much that can be said. I still don't think we will get our first sub 2 million viewer race this year but we are knocking on the door.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/pages/story/_/id/18922777/nascar-2017-tv-ratings

Richmond TV Ratings NBCSN earned a 1.2 rating and 2.1 million viewers for Saturday night's MENCS race at Richmond Raceway. Last year got 1.6 and 2.7 million.[Read more here](9-15-2017)

I'd say Irma (and to a lesser extent, Harvey) did have an impact on TV viewership. It still would have been down, but not nearly as much.

I'd say Irma (and to a lesser extent, Harvey) did have an impact on TV viewership. It still would have been down, but not nearly as much.

Yes it did. I'm far from one of those NASCAR apologists. I doubt "Smerconish" on CNN even aired. It was all hurricane coverage at that time on all news channels, and that's what pulled in the big numbers. The region in the hurricane's expected path is a major one for NASCAR. I would wait for a more normal weekend to assess how the later season and "playoffs" (which I despise) viewership is bearing out.

NASCAR keeps pushing Toyota's Clearisal Kid and the Sad Hombre. Two next generation stars being shoved down our throats today -- and neither made the "Playoffs" despite their overexposure. Tired of hearing about them.

Then all the human interest crap during the race as both NBCSN and Fox Sports read their note cards while track action is going on; and then another loud commercial break.

Or, yet another protracted segment and awkward opining and banter about convuluted Playoff Points, with feisty Burton and too-loud-at-the-bar LeTarte making noise, while Rick Allen gets ready for his next over zealous race call about nothing.

That's why I turn down the sound or just switch the station. But yet I keep coming back -- even though I understand why many do not...

Even posts pointing out NASCAR did not get beat out by Smerconish were deleted?
Because I'm trying to edit out the blasting each other about the storm. Some combine the two items.
Just give me a bit.

@Michfan --- put back all I could find about Smerconish. All the rest of the posts were people trying to nail each other to the wall about what they did or didn't do in relation to contributions to the storm victims.

Last edited:
NASCAR keeps pushing Toyota's Clearisal Kid and the Sad Hombre. Two next generation stars being shoved down our throats today -- and neither made the "Playoffs" despite their overexposure. Tired of hearing about them.

Then all the human interest crap during the race as both NBCSN and Fox Sports read their note cards while track action is going on; and then another loud commercial break.

Or, yet another protracted segment and awkward opining and banter about convuluted Playoff Points, with feisty Burton and too-loud-at-the-bar LeTarte making noise, while Rick Allen gets ready for his next over zealous race call about nothing.

That's why I turn down the sound or just switch the station. But yet I keep coming back -- even though I understand why many do not...

Most of us here follow Nascar to one degree or another and even though they make it more difficult for me to remain a race watcher I still see a lot of the them. I seem to enjoy the sked of races prior to Memorial Day the best and judging by how the races are rated here it looks like the most popular ones are prior to the month of July.

I like the variety of fans and personalities represented here as for some folks the race is the highlight of the week and for others it is a harmless way to kill time. Some people watch the race on a couple of different devices simultaneously live while some others DVR the races and get to them as time permits. I know one guy that has his laptop open to the leader board as it is paramount that he knows where everyone in the field is in relation to the leader time wise. It is all good from where I stand.

Seriously, why even run the xfinity races this late into the year? I mean the cup races are barely beating out Wisconsin/byu games, I know the apologists want 365 x 2 racing throughout the year, but it is going to kill the sport by continuing this insanity deep into November, year after year.

The NFL season just kicked off and already the league’s ratings are off to bad start.

The season’s opening game between the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs drew 21.8 million viewers, down 13% from 2015. And overall NFL viewership dropped 8% last year compared to 2015.

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/nfl-ratings-drop

Edit: Oops, my bad. Thought I was on the NFL forum. Since I'm here..... Looks like sports are taking a hit in general.

200.gif

Seriously, why even run the xfinity races this late into the year? I mean the cup races are barely beating out Wisconsin/byu games, I know the apologists want 365 x 2 racing throughout the year, but it is going to kill the sport by continuing this insanity deep into November, year after year.

BTW the Xfinity races are more popular than F-1 or Indycar most of the time. football is on the other channels

Back
Top Bottom