2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

I wish one of ya would find out if and when they will quit showing the races on the tube..Let me know will ya. Some of us here watch the races and we would appreciate it.:D

I wish one of ya would find out if and when they will quit showing the races on the tube..Let me know will ya. Some of us here watch the races and we would appreciate it.:D

If you could get some more of your "friends" to watch it then the TV ratings might go up. That is what the thread is about, you know, TV ratings.

If you could get some more of your "friends" to watch it then the TV ratings might go up. That is what the thread is about, you know, TV ratings.
oh I thought it was about seats, sponsorship, attendance at the tracks, the age of the fans etc.

On another thread I asked people if they tried to influence others to become Nascar fans and I got one response and unfortunately the experience was not great as the people did not become fans. I don't think that any Nascar fan is under any obligation to promote the series but personal contact/influence/endorsement wouldn't hurt if a person was inclined.

oh I thought it was about seats, sponsorship, attendance at the tracks, the age of the fans etc.
It all ties together. Don't you think that Monster, Nationwide, Miller, Bud, and other sponsors are interested in all of that? Again, try and get some of your friend to watch the race. The ratings might go up.

Sure, and if they don't go up then it might be harder to find them on TV.

Is that what you heard? I read an article from a FOX executive that they are thinking about taking Thursday night foot ball off of the air.

Is that what you heard? I read an article from a FOX executive that they are thinking about taking Thursday night foot ball off of the air.
Watching the races on FS2, and NBC Sports 2. That would be something. :D

On your post...???Man, if you say so. How about them Cowboys?

Last edited:
Hopefully a fruitful discussion can be had and see what can be hashed out. IMO the key is to stay on point and not change horses midstream as this is not an argument to be won or lost but a good faith attempt at discovering if there is any common ground.
Please...there are the people here that have their blinders on when it comes to Nascar, I'm not one of them.

Please...there are the people here that have their blinders on when it comes to Nascar, I'm not one of them.

Well one can always hope!
I will try and get caught up.
I would be surprised if FOX had any comment on TNF seeing they don't carry the games but hopefully most TNF games will be killed off as it is a case of too much of a good thing. Hoe 'bout them 10-1 Philadelphia Eagles!
I would guess that if Rawhide is still on TV Nascar doesn't have anything to worry about but we can revisit this after the broadcast deal expires.
If more people could get friends interested in Nascar it would be a good thing no?
I am outside of everyone's demographic except for things like Alex Trebek advertises emergency cell phones!

As far as I know this thread is primarily to discuss Nascar's TV ratings and there are separate threads to discuss specifically positive and negative things in Nascar.

I am happy to talk about the good, bad or indifferent.

Need to add that I will watch every race as long as they are on TV. :) :)
Even though I don't fit the preferred demographic. hehehe
I'd watch more racing if all the races were on Fox or NBC, not their feeder channels, I'm not paying another $20/month just so I can get FS1 and the other NBC sports channel. I didn' get to watch one truck race this year because either I was working or it wasn't on a channel I get on my current cable tier, which is already too expensive!

I am wondering if the other forms of programing are being figured in. Or are they so small its just
too insignificant to report. All I hear my kids talk about is watching sporting events on their xbox ,
net flix, hulu, sling, all that. I don't know how all that works but I am sure its a sign of things to come.
Just not sure if its being figured in the ratings equation properly.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact people watch so much streaming that they hardly know what's on regular cable anymore

I am wondering if the other forms of programing are being figured in. Or are they so small its just
too insignificant to report. All I hear my kids talk about is watching sporting events on their xbox ,
net flix, hulu, sling, all that. I don't know how all that works but I am sure its a sign of things to come.
Just not sure if its being figured in the ratings equation properly.
The sample of Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, etc. is at a little over 100 households now. They started sampling with 6 households back in January, so it's gradually been increasing throughout the year.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact people watch so much streaming that they hardly know what's on regular cable anymore
About 8% of combined TV/subscription video on demand (SVOD) viewing among adults 18+ is SVOD. SVOD originals (Netflix originals) makes up about 1.5% of combined viewing. That's stuff you can find on Michael Mulvihill's (Fox Sports honcho) Twitter.

However:

DPzmg7ZWAAA8PXR.jpg:large

About 8% of combined TV/subscription video on demand (SVOD) viewing among adults 18+ is SVOD. SVOD originals (Netflix originals) makes up about 1.5% of combined viewing. That's stuff you can find on Michael Mulvihill's (Fox Sports honcho) Twitter.

However:

Yep. A jillion channels and I have nothing to watch. Last night, it was "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". *sigh*
I've also gotten hooked on "Spongebob Squarepants". I'm doomed.

Yep. A jillion channels and I have nothing to watch. Last night, it was "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". *sigh*

I remember when the biggest decision was would I watch Batman, Cimarron Strip or Daniel Boone at 7:30. ABC, NBC and CBS used to show a lot of "Movies of the Week" and some of them were good.

Moonshiners last night, premiere of Street Outlaws Monday night.Street Outlaws was great, that Memphis bunch is always pulling something over on the OKC guys. One race they ran for the money and 10 yes Daddies..I won the race right? yes daddy haha.

Moonshiners last night, premiere of Street Outlaws Monday night.Street Outlaws was great, that Memphis bunch is always pulling something over on the OKC guys. One race they ran for the money and 10 yes Daddies..I won the race right? yes daddy haha.

I watched Dalziel & Pascoe and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries but don't tell anyone else please.......:)

SpongeBob is da bomb!

My son and I have been talking, we'd like to get another boat. Something like this in the18-20 foot range. Trailerable as there's a ramp just a few miles away. If we find the right boat we'll be back on the water again next year with the boys fishin', racin' will have to wait.

Last edited:
The networks aren't helping the sponsor situation much.Alt Fox does this in part , Nbc not at all. Couple or three times during the race go through the field ,show the car, call Car #, driver , make ,sponsor, running position
This would give the fans knowledge and give the little teams tv time. Sponsors could then be told you will be mentioned 2 or 3 times each race

The networks aren't helping the sponsor situation much.Alt Fox does this in part , Nbc not at all. Couple or three times during the race go through the field ,show the car, call Car #, driver , make ,sponsor, running position
This would give the fans knowledge and give the little teams tv time. Sponsors could then be told you will be mentioned 2 or 3 times each race

Not a bad idea at all as it may not help ratings but it would with sponsor awareness.

Inscape also has insight into other shows NASCAR viewers are likely to watch. Topping the list: Live PD, Today With Kathie Lee & Hoda, Days of Our Lives, M*A*S*H reruns and Rachael Ray.

I watched M*A*S*H in the 70's and 80's when it was first run programming and I know DOOL is a soap as years ago I knew a gal that used to record the program on a Sony Beta Max. I have no clue about the other shows but I suspect they are on during the day when people are either at work or at home because they are retired. Maybe Nascar fans are wealthier than other fans and retire at a younger age or it is possible Nascar could have a lot of retirees that are fans.

I am guessing there is one person that won't believe this.

The New York dirt track racing scene is huge, but that's about it. Not many NASCAR fans here, and pavement short tracks are all but dead.

The New York dirt track racing scene is huge, but that's about it. Not many NASCAR fans here, and pavement short tracks are all but dead.

35 years ago there were short tracks everywhere in my area but over the years they have all closed up except for 1 main one. A buddy of mine carried on the family tradition for several years but ended up quitting due to family concerns and time constraints. It isn't a cheap pastime either.

.......and they all lived happily every after.......:D

Nascar has a 2 pronged problem with the first being a fan base that shrinks at a steady yet alarming rate annually. The bigger problem for Nascar is that its fan base is aging out as its demographic gets older and older with each passing year. No one wants to discuss or tackle that issue other than to say things like "I don't believe it" or "the sampling size is too small." Every week @FLRacingFan posts what I consider to be very interesting information as to how all sorts of programming is faring in the marketplace and every week the numbers are unkind to Nascar.

The average age of a Nascar fan is 58 while NFL and NHL fans come in at 49, the NBA at 42 and MLS at 40. The general population is aging but Nascar fans are leading the charge so until that problem is alleviated good things are not in Nascar's future.

Older fans just proves they are more loyal.

Back
Top Bottom