2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Nascar isn't the only sport that will have trouble when current TV contracts expire.At the end of day,all these sports networks(ESPN,Fox Sports)are owned by companies that have to answer to shareholders.There is nobody that I know that buys a stock not expecting to make money.That might not be such a bad thing.If you remove all the excessive cash from sports we might end up with something better.

Martinsville demo breakdown:

Final-Cable-2017-Apr-02.SUN_.png
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...-cable-originals-network-finals-4-2-2017.html

Weekend sports:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-4-1-2-2017.html

I really appreciate it as it has more meaning to me this way. It looks like a good news/bad news sort of thing as the number of 18-34 viewers is small but growing but it looks like the viewers over 50 for this race were north of 60%
I found it very interesting that the dying sport of baseball (so I've heard) had its marquee game beat the race in every demographic but the oldest and even doubled up the race in some of the younger demos. Even the women's basketball game won in five out of eight so I think NASCAR oughta be wary of any new changes because it's very apparent that they are still very dependent upon the older fans to prop the sport up. I know personally I likely wouldn't have gotten into racing if I didn't first start watching with my grandpa when I was younger. Also, it puts into context the statements that the younger demos are growing because it's apparent they had just about nowhere to go but up in the first place.

I found it very interesting that the dying sport of baseball (so I've heard) had its marquee game beat the race in every demographic but the oldest and even doubled up the race in some of the younger demos. Even the women's basketball game won in five out of eight so I think NASCAR oughta be wary of any new changes because it's very apparent that they are still very dependent upon the older fans to prop the sport up. I know personally I likely wouldn't have gotten into racing if I didn't first start watching with my grandpa when I was younger. Also, it puts into context the statements that the younger demos are growing because it's apparent they had just about nowhere to go but up in the first place.

Very well said. You point about watching racing with your grandpa rings so true as most of us get a chance to actually play stick and ball sports in school or in leagues and we can make up our own minds what we think of them. With racing you need to be introduced to it and exposed to it in order to make a decision on whether it is something we are interested in.

You are right about the numbers putting the percentage growth into context as they really do have no place to go but up.

If the championship was already decided with five races still to be run, would any of you stop watching the remaining races? I'm betting you would still watch the last five races. So I don't think the championship has to go down to the last race. The way things are now, the first 26 races are mostly irrelevant, except to hardcore fans, and they will watch anyway. The last 10 races, are not relevant to casual fans, with the exception of races 3,6,9, and 10. I'm not sure races 3,6, and 9, really matter much to casual fans, because if they haven't been following the sport all year, they can watch the last race, and see the championship decided then. It would seem to me that casual fans would become more interested, if the core fanbase started to come back. The sport of NASCAR will never be as big as it was at it's peak. The fanbase grows by word of mouth, person to person. With that in mind, the core fanbase must be happy with the racing on the track, and it doesn't seem like hardly anybody is happy with what we have. So how does NASCAR expect to grow the fanbase, when the hardcore fans aren't happy with what we have? How do you expect your friends feel about the sport, when all they hear is how bad things are? I don't think it makes them more interested in following the sport. The bottom line is, things will not get better, until a true race fan is running the sport.

Households utilizing TVs were down 10% on Saturday and 9% on Sunday. I wonder what's up with that. Exceptionally great weather this past weekend? Damn near everything was down on TV this weekend. NASCAR, the Masters, NBA, IndyCar. Haven't seen anything MLB or NHL yet, although the NHL has been struggling this season in general.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/04/nascar-ratings-low-fox-texas-overnights/

So the last time NASCAR went head-to-head with the Masters (2006) the overnights came in at 9.0 versus 4.8. This time around it was 7.6 versus 2.5, so it can't all be attributed to the conflict. This isn't healthy and honestly a little disheartening, no matter how many times we say the ratings were 10000.0 in my house or that they simply don't matter.

So the last time NASCAR went head-to-head with the Masters (2006) the overnights came in at 9.0 versus 4.8. This time around it was 7.6 versus 2.5, so it can't all be attributed to the conflict. This isn't healthy and honestly a little disheartening, no matter how many times we say the ratings were 10000.0 in my house or that they simply don't matter.

I know what you mean as we are already seeing things change in Nascar as a result of diminished interest.

Households utilizing TVs were down 10% on Saturday and 9% on Sunday. I wonder what's up with that. Exceptionally great weather this past weekend? Damn near everything was down on TV this weekend. NASCAR, the Masters, NBA, IndyCar. Haven't seen anything MLB or NHL yet, although the NHL has been struggling this season in general.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/04/nascar-ratings-low-fox-texas-overnights/
Very good weather yesterday here in NY/NJ area and fantastic weather today. Spring fever has hit in my area and everyone is out doing stuff and/or starting spring "honey-do" projects.

Nascar fans used to get that stuff done in the AM to make some time for the race. Most could care less now.

I get the feeling that a lot of fans who used to watch religiously now watch when they are able and some have the race on but are also doing other things. Sometimes I just like to listen to the broadcast for a while and look up at the action periodically.

Very good weather yesterday here in NY/NJ area and fantastic weather today. Spring fever has hit in my area and everyone is out doing stuff and/or starting spring "honey-do" projects.

LOL it only took until April 10th to have an actual spring day that's not in the low 40s.

Having built several websites and seeing the breakdowns on those, I can tell you the overwhelming majority of web browsing, and likely the majority of streaming, is done on mobile phones.

Any streaming I do now, I do on my phone (AT&T) since I have unlimited data and a connection that's 25 times faster than my 1.2 mbps, capped at 40GB home internet.

If they made some sort of docking station thing for my phone like they do for the Microsoft Lumia, I'd get rid of my laptop.

Interesting read. The only programs I watch live are hockey and football games and even then it isn't every game. I will watch flag to flag coverage of the Leafs-Caps game tonight and hopefully it won't be painful. Everything else I watch I either stream or record and the primary reason is so I can bypass commercials and the secondary reason is so I can watch the programming when I want to. I try and watch Nascar after it has started but sometimes the race is over before I can see it.

ESPN has started the process of laying off employees according to Washington Post.The ridiculous fees the sports channels paid to these leagues are coming back to bite them.The senior management is of course blaming the cord cutters for their troubles.The price some of my friends pay for cable is crazy.

ESPN has started the process of laying off employees according to Washington Post.The ridiculous fees the sports channels paid to these leagues are coming back to bite them.The senior management is of course blaming the cord cutters for their troubles.The price some of my friends pay for cable is crazy.

I hope someone will jump in and correct me if I am wrong but I recently read that in round numbers ESPN charges cable/sat companies $7.00 per month and NBCS and FS1 get around $1.00 each. It will be interesting to see how the impact of cord cutting and changing viewers tastes changes the landscape.

I find it most interesting that NASCAR has the second-worst ratio of fans watching live in its entirety. Golf is understandable since rounds can last for so long and coverage usually bounces between different networks from the morning into the afternoon/evening.
Commercials probably play a huge part in this. I find that there are more commercials in a NASCAR broadcast than pretty much anything else I watch.

Commercials probably play a huge part in this. I find that there are more commercials in a NASCAR broadcast than pretty much anything else I watch.

Commercials interrupting the broadcast, on top of commercials worked into the broadcast, on top of the fact that you're just watching rolling billboards for 4 hours, and then the drivers themselves are nothing more than corporate shills who can't go more than 1 sentence without reverting to blatant product placement. Yeah, it wears on you. Thankfully most of the country has a much lower tolerance for corporate asskissing, and that's why they'll never be NASCAR fans.

Commercials interrupting the broadcast, on top of commercials worked into the broadcast, on top of the fact that you're just watching rolling billboards for 4 hours, and then the drivers themselves are nothing more than corporate shills who can't go more than 1 sentence without reverting to blatant product placement. Yeah, it wears on you. Thankfully most of the country has a much lower tolerance for corporate asskissing, and that's why they'll never be NASCAR fans.

Gotta fill them cars up with Sunoco race fuel and gitcha 4 Goodyear tars.

I can't remember why but during a race this year I let the commercials play through a couple of times and I was surprised to see the exact commercial being played in the same break and I believe it happened on 3 occasions. IDK if more commercials are being jammed in now then before but I suspect we see the same commercial in the same break due to that ad time being unsold.

Gotta fill them cars up with Sunoco race fuel and gitcha 4 Goodyear tars.

I can't remember why but during a race this year I let the commercials play through a couple of times and I was surprised to see the exact commercial being played in the same break and I believe it happened on 3 occasions. IDK if more commercials are being jammed in now then before but I suspect we see the same commercial in the same break due to that ad time being unsold.
Maybe someone with some know-how about the TV biz can comment on this but I believe the networks promise advertisers x-amount of eyeballs for the commercial time they paid for and if the eyeballs are less than promised, they make up for it with more ad time.

Maybe someone with some know-how about the TV biz can comment on this but I believe the networks promise advertisers x-amount of eyeballs for the commercial time they paid for and if the eyeballs are less than promised, they make up for it with more ad time.
They invoice commercial time after ratings / headcounts in various times lots (by demographic) are firmly established.

Back
Top Bottom