2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

First thing I noticed this year was all of the competition added in Xfinity..and I didn't even mention Ganassi sometimes running three cars and most of the time at least two. Riddick is full time for Chip and Bell for JGR is going to get some seat time in Xfinity 7 races in the 18 car. like WTF.

Childress running 5 and 6 cars in Xfinity and Jr sometimes runs 5, Gallagher racing has added an xfinity car to its 4 truck teams pieces. Sorry I don't see any of this, brand new teams are adding cars and old teams are adding vehicles to the lower series.

Gallagher racing is a pet project of the Allegiant Air CEO because his son wants to be a race car driver. Spencer has some talent, but that team will fold when the CEO gets fired or Spencer stops racing.

they won the championship last year..They have expanded this year despite your viewpoint lol

what, you going to fire him? lol

200_s.gif

Yes they did. However, all the money is gone when Dad's no longer the CEO. I like Spencer a lot, but the whole operation depends on his Dad supplying the money.

IDK anything about X as I haven't followed it since it was the BGN series. I do know that few show up to see it live in spite of kids getting in free and it gets small numbers from the viewers at home. IDK if this is still true but it seemed like the series was dominated by cup drivers and ride buyers in the past.

IDK anything about X as I haven't followed it since it was the BGN series. I do know that few show up to see it live in spite of kids getting in free and it gets small numbers from the viewers at home. IDK if this is still true but it seemed like the series was dominated by cup drivers and ride buyers in the past.

few compared to what? Pulls higher viewing numbers on average than any other motorsports series in the U.S. but cup FYI.

Do you think that X and trucks will need to merge into 1 series in the future?

I don't know. IMO the only way that happens is if the Truck Series couldn't be sustained. If Trucks folded, they might sell it as a merger with Xfinity. I don't think that is likely anytime during the current TV deal, which as you have said masks a lot of structural problems. There is so much TV rights money to go around that NASCAR shifted a bit more to Xfinity and Trucks a year ago, presumably to help support the teams there.

Xfinity isn't going anywhere or changing significantly for now regardless of ratings and interest. Some of us wish the Xfinity series could be more differentiated from Cup and given its own identity, with more standalone and short track events. That direction, while superior, is about as likely as abolishing the Chase / playoffs.

^ Yeah, I agree. As for Xfinity and which direction is superior, it is a question of who is writing the mission statement for the series. Answer: not the old line hard core fans. The Xfinity series is the primary support series for Cup weekends, providing on-track activity and low incremental costs for the TV production. Viewed that way, companion events work, stand-alone events don't. And Nascar is happy, I suspect, with good sponsorship in place and sanction fees in the bank.

The Xfinity series has also been successful... in developing and proving young talent for the Cup series. Go back 6 or 8 or 10 years... has there been *any* significant new entrant to Cup competition that has not first been vetted successfully in the Xfinity series? No, none that I can recall, other than Danica Patrick in a major team created for her sponsor plus a few greenhorns stepping into no-hope under-funded backmarker seats.

Go Preds said the guy whose team was bounced in round 1.

Everyone would have called you crazy 10 years ago (maybe even 5) if you suggested that a NASCAR Cup race could be beaten by a non- Stanley Cup Finals NHL game. Back then, the NHL was considered the niche sport.

IDK if "The NHL's ratings kind of suck" was said out of frustration or ignorance but to think a non cup final game could compete with a Nascar race used to be unthinkable. Even if Nascar draws twice as many viewers as the NHL the 18-34 demo is still very close.

Lol, NASCAR got beat even by golf's Saturday coverage, plus the NBA, NHL and almost the MLB. Weak.

Really thought dega might inspire a few more peoples racing interests... not because of the big one, but the close dramatic race to the finish.

Everyone would have called you crazy 10 years ago (maybe even 5) if you suggested that a NASCAR Cup race could be beaten by a non- Stanley Cup Finals NHL game. Back then, the NHL was considered the niche sport.

The NHL is still a niche sport. NASCAR is a niche sport too.

IDK if "The NHL's ratings kind of suck" was said out of frustration or ignorance but to think a non cup final game could compete with a Nascar race used to be unthinkable. Even if Nascar draws twice as many viewers as the NHL the 18-34 demo is still very close.

Neither. The NHL's ratings kind of suck. With as much buzz and excitement as the Stanley Cup Playoffs are hosting, the games aren't drawing big numbers. One of the west coast games on NBCSN last week drew a 0.6 in the 18-49 demo. That's comparable to a show on the second-rate CW network.

Ratings during the regular season were down to their lowest ratings in a quarter century. And the NHL, or at least the media that covers the NHL, blamed it on the election. Yet, when NASCAR cited the election as cause for some of their ratings woes, they were mocked and ridiculed by it.

But, NHL fans don't talk about ratings and ****mouth their sport the way NASCAR fans do. You're a perfect example of it. You love the NHL, so you proclaim how great it is and how well it's doing all the time while ****mouthing NASCAR (and Danica) on a regular basis.

Agree. However, there is a lot going on in the NBA, NHL, and MLB that can't happen with NASCAR. Local and regional interest in those team leagues has increased in the last 15 years. Local ratings and attendance are mostly up, and the franchises are thriving on those revenues. National regular season ratings are down (more fans interested in only their local market team), while playoffs ratings have trended flat or upward. That nuance doesn't exist with NASCAR. NASCAR attendance is down massively everywhere. Ratings down across the board with maybe one exception (Homestead). NASCAR has shoehorned "playoffs" into its schedule for 13 seasons, and the "playoffs" races are the least watched of the year except the finale. Elimination races draw no increased interest. There is so much wrong with the current approach that it's hard to know where to start.

Neither. The NHL's ratings kind of suck. With as much buzz and excitement as the Stanley Cup Playoffs are hosting, the games aren't drawing big numbers. One of the west coast games on NBCSN last week drew a 0.6 in the 18-49 demo. That's comparable to a show on the second-rate CW network.

Ratings during the regular season were down to their lowest ratings in a quarter century. And the NHL, or at least the media that covers the NHL, blamed it on the election. Yet, when NASCAR cited the election as cause for some of their ratings woes, they were mocked and ridiculed by it.

But, NHL fans don't talk about ratings and ****mouth their sport the way NASCAR fans do. You're a perfect example of it. You love the NHL, so you proclaim how great it is and how well it's doing all the time while ****mouthing NASCAR (and Danica) on a regular basis.

I think Danica is great and I am disappointed this is likely her last year. The truth is that DP ****mouths herself with her lousy on track performance and Nascar just freakin sucks when it comes to drawing young people to the series and loses hundreds of thousands of fans each year. None of that is untrue. The NHL is definitely a niche sport in the USA but has a good demographic that advertisers like. That is true too no?

Agree. However, there is a lot going on in the NBA, NHL, and MLB that can't happen with NASCAR. Local and regional interest in those team leagues has increased in the last 15 years. Local ratings and attendance are mostly up, and the franchises are thriving on those revenues. National regular season ratings are down (more fans interested in only their local market team), while playoffs ratings have trended flat or upward. That nuance doesn't exist with NASCAR. NASCAR attendance is down massively everywhere. Ratings down across the board with maybe one exception (Homestead). NASCAR has shoehorned "playoffs" into its schedule for 13 seasons, and the "playoffs" races are the least watched of the year except the finale. Elimination races draw no increased interest. There is so much wrong with the current approach that it's hard to know where to start.

Playoff races are up against the NFL. Even I watch the NFL instead of NASCAR on Sundays.

I'm making a point about the fanbases. Even here, your comments are NHL = good, ratings = don't care, but NASCAR = bad, ratings = I care because it proves I hate it.

I mean, NASCAR fans are doing more damage to the sport than anything. Why the **** would anyone want to watch when all NASCAR fans do is "the ratings suck and nobody watches" and "the sport sucks" and constantly ****mouth it? If you guys really love the sport, you'd encourage people to tune in or tell them to go to their local track, not constantly ****mouth it and tell everyone how terrible it is.

Hockey's low ratings are excused. They're using the same excuses as NASCAR's using for their lowest ratings in a quarter century. And even their "high ratings" in the Stanley Cup Finals don't really draw that many viewers. The games on NBCSN get less viewers than the news on MSNBC.

I think Danica is great and I am disappointed this is likely her last year. The truth is that DP ****mouths herself with her lousy on track performance and Nascar just freakin sucks when it comes to drawing young people to the series and loses hundreds of thousands of fans each year. None of that is untrue. The NHL is definitely a niche sport in the USA but has a good demographic that advertisers like. That is true too no?

But this is my point. NHL, and NFL, and NBA, and MLB fans are different.

As for excitement... ice hockey is far and away the most exciting sport in the world. Not even close. Yet, even with that "good demographic", their ratings are equivalent of a CW show. So, maybe it's not about the excitement level. :idunno:

NASCAR has the worst fans in all of sports. Fans could watch the most thrilling race in history and still ****mouth it nonstop because they hate Danica and they hate Brian France and the race was only exciting because of "manufactured drama" or something. All NASCAR fans do it bitch and whine.

Again, they know the ratings woes, but instead of doing things to get other people interested in it, as NHL fans (for instance) do, they ****mouth it.

What incentive is there for advertisers to sponsor some exciting new driver in the sport if all fans talk about is how much the sport sucks and is dying?

What incentive is there for someone like Samsung to sponsor a racecar when the fans routinely talk about how they can't afford $40 tickets or can't afford to pay $35/month for cable to get NBCSN? (But they can magically afford to spend $120 on Panthers tickets and have cable when WWE Raw and The Walking Dead come on).

Lol, NASCAR got beat even by golf's Saturday coverage, plus the NBA, NHL and almost the MLB. Weak.
Yeah, and the depressing part is that all those people missed a really fine race with intense competition throughout the field, every lap from green to checkers. Nascar has improved its on-track product a ton in the last few years, but few are watching. I don't know what the answer is. I do know there is no magic bullet.

Golf gets good and always has. There's a reason golf is on Fox, NBC and CBS every weekend.

I don't get the appeal myself. Boring as hell. Main reason I bit the bullet and got DIRECTV is because golf is the only thing that comes on during the weekends OTA. Sometimes, it's on NBC AND CBS at the same time.

Golf gets good and always has. There's a reason golf is on Fox, NBC and CBS every weekend.

I don't get the appeal myself. Boring as hell. Main reason I bit the bullet and got DIRECTV is because golf is the only thing that comes on during the weekends OTA. Sometimes, it's on NBC AND CBS at the same time.
Golf is shedding viewers just like NASCAR though. They've had something like fourteen straight OTA final rounds decline. But, just like NASCAR, they have a ways to go before hitting rock bottom.

Golf is shedding viewers just like NASCAR though. They've had something like fourteen straight OTA final rounds decline. But, just like NASCAR, they have a ways to go before hitting rock bottom.

EVERY sport is shedding viewers. NASCAR's been doing it longer. I've always thought the high ratings the 2006 Daytona 500 got was one of the worst things to happen for the sport. Such a terrible race, and a horrendous broadcast (Bill Weber, the fog, NBC's generic approach), and a lot of casual viewers tuned in for the first time to see that ****. Same with 2013, to be honest.

@AndyMarquisLive, thanks for the thoughts. There's way too much for me there to address. I am a big racing fan, and attend as many local race tracks as I can and bring friends and family to them. I'm not necessarily a NASCAR loyalist, more of an observer on that front. However, I don't agree that existing fans are somehow the problem.

Being in denial is worse than what you're criticizing. NASCAR wouldn't be better off if any dissenting fans went away or were brainwashed to shut up and like whatever they're served. Sunlight is always the best disinfectant, and the company's leaders are the responsible parties for the downward trend.

^ It's nice and tidy to lay it all on Brian France, but that doesn't fit with the trends we see affecting virtually all forms of racing on all continents of the Earth. It just ain't that simple, not even close. Nascar's leadership is one factor among several (many).

^ It's nice and tidy to lay it all on Brian France, but that doesn't fit with the trends we see affecting virtually all forms of racing on all continents of the Earth. It just ain't that simple, not even close. Nascar's leadership is one factor among several (many).

FWIW, I have stopped referring to "Brian France" as the singular devil behind all problems, because I believe there is an entire culture of poor leadership in play. NASCAR has always been run more like a small family business than any other comparable sporting entity, and the lack of scrutiny and accountability inherent in that is a serious structural issue when a company scales as large as they did.

Brian France is probably the most responsible single individual, but it is misleading to continually hammer on him alone. I agree that NASCAR's outlook is complicated with many factors in play, but those who lay the blame on 'bad' fans who have no actual power except their own decisions as individual consumers are even more off-base.

However, I don't agree that existing fans are somehow the problem.

I do. Again, no other sport's fans act like this.

When hockey fans are confronted with the fact that NHL gets terrible ratings, they pick up their hockey sticks and defend their sport and talk about how great it is and how good things are. Same with baseball fans, and football fans.

NASCAR fans, when they see "low ratings", they gloat about it, and how it proves they're smarter than Brian France or something. They care more about being right about something than just sitting back and enjoying it.

NHL fans and writers say they lost viewers because of politics and fans say it's probably true. NASCAR says the same thing and fans bash them and say it's "impossible". Even though I personally know people who have been long time race fans quit racing (on the short track level) or quit going to NASCAR races and quit participating altogether because they were going to Donald Trump hate rallies every couple days (some driving hundreds of miles to do so weekly) or working for his campaign.

I think nowadays everything with the exception of football is a niche sport. It's amazing in this day that football is truly as big as it is. Really nothing is close to big time college football and the NFL

Back
Top Bottom