2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

For whatever reasons Kentucky has never had great viewership as the inaugural event on TNT had just under 5 million viewers and then it dropped to around 4 million for the next 2 events. IMO 2.7 million viewers is scary low as it likely means less than 2 million viewers 2 years from now.

Do the numbers take in account of cord cutters like myself who watch on PS Vue?

Nielsen started taking into account vMVPDs like Vue and Sling this year and factors them into their Total Cable Plus universe. The July estimate includes 1.4 million vMVPD homes. Not many of those are included in their national sampling though, but they're expected to add more in the coming months.

Those vMVPD figures from PlayStation Vue, Sling TV, DirecTV Now and so on are reported separately from the digital streams of FOX Sports Go and NBC Sports Live Extra. The former are streams of the TV broadcast and, as mentioned above, included in the TV ratings. FSGo and and Live Extra are not, but FOX and NBC still track them and can report them if they want to. I'd expect NBC to as they already have with the NHL recently.

Quite a difference with the continuing numbers of cord cutters leaving over the years. Millions and millions. The numbers continue to fall. I doubt if all those who have cut the cord quit watching programming. I don't believe they can be accurately measured from some sources. Nascar has figures of their own that measure social media and hits on their website, peak viewing etc.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/tv-cable-subscriber-statistics/

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...igital-social-media-numbers-grow-in-2016.html

What is your source for saying that?
I think it is an ever growing number.

Here is a post from @FLRacingFan from June 27th of this year. He has no ax to grind with anyone and just tells it like it is.

FSGo streams are up big year-over-year in percentages, not so much in volume. The most-steamed race, the Daytona 500, averaged an audience just under 40k. Add in a myriad of undocumented streams and you're still talking small potatoes compared to a drop in over 650k TV viewers as we saw with Sonoma. And I say that as someone who does a decent amount of streaming through the Amazon Fire Stick myself.

Hard to say for sure but it looks like many cord cutters and fans who aren't at home watching the tube might be using these ways to keep up with the racing and viewing of the races.

Bob Pockrass @bobpockrass

Also: According to ISC, NASCAR website and mobile apps averaging 1.7 million visits on Cup race day, a 30% increase from 2016.

9:38 AM - 5 Jul 2017

There will always be plenty of folks who choose to believe what suits them as opposed to reality but what a person believes never changes the truth. The truth is that Nascar has seen an unprecedented drop in fans and are really hurting in having fans in the correct demo. Even if a person didn't believe in the broadcast ratings they could look to the sponsorship issues teams are having as that makes the problem crystal clear. Why would Sprint pay 75 million per year on a long term deal to sponsor the series and Monster was willing to pay 25 million for a 2 year committment? Why is Gene Haas funding cars on his team out of his own pocket? Why are former champs and races winners Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth not assured of soft landing spots next year? Why does the 5 car not have sponsorship next year and why will Danica likely not be in cup next year?

Hard to say for sure but it looks like many cord cutters and fans who aren't at home watching the tube might be using these ways to keep up with the racing and viewing of the races.

Bob Pockrass @bobpockrass

Also: According to ISC, NASCAR website and mobile apps averaging 1.7 million visits on Cup race day, a 30% increase from 2016.

9:38 AM - 5 Jul 2017

There is a huge difference between clicking on an app to get an update and watching an entire program.

Here is a post from @FLRacingFan from June 27th of this year. He has no ax to grind with anyone and just tells it like it is.

FSGo streams are up big year-over-year in percentages, not so much in volume. The most-steamed race, the Daytona 500, averaged an audience just under 40k. Add in a myriad of undocumented streams and you're still talking small potatoes compared to a drop in over 650k TV viewers as we saw with Sonoma. And I say that as someone who does a decent amount of streaming through the Amazon Fire Stick myself.
Ok.....but what about raceview? And what about the stream I watch when these 2nd half of season races that are not on NBCSN but just NBC....the stream from Canada? These are not accounted for.
And yes, it may be smaller numbers now.....but people are cutting the cord and learning to watch their events in vastly different ways. These numbers will grow and will become huge. It's all part of a ever changing shift and I do believe the measuring of this has caught up with the methods.

Ok.....but what about raceview? And what about the stream I watch when these 2nd half of season races that are not on NBCSN but just NBC....the stream from Canada? These are not accounted for.
And yes, it may be smaller numbers now.....but people are cutting the cord and learning to watch their events in vastly different ways. These numbers will grow and will become huge. It's all part of a ever changing shift and I do believe the measuring of this has caught up with the methods.
The measuring has never been there IMO, it is a rough guide at best. Until recently the only had 40,000 TV sets for a survey base. That didn't and still doesn't tell who is watching the thing. But they make all kinds of claims about this and that. I think they are farther behind now with all of the different platforms sprouting up than they ever were. But something that can be measured accurately are the hits to a specific website and 1.7 million hits on race day is significant. they aren't there to see about family ties.

The problem is that Nascar races may be getting 50K streams per race but are losing hundreds of thousands traditional viewers. Also there is nothing wrong with getting as many viewers as possible but the advertisers like an 18-34 age group and Nascar does not have a lot of those fans.

"Dating back to last year’s Kentucky race, 29 of 32 Cup Series races have posted declines. 27 of those have at least tied an all-time or decade-plus ratings low, and 25 have done so in viewership."

i13650629707.gif

I had DIRECT TV but got rid of it a few months ago . I was tired of paying 90.00 dollars plus for just sports

Then went got PSVUE but again, didnt want to pay 35 bucks for like 4 channels so know i just stream from my laptop and hook it to my tv

I had DIRECT TV but got rid of it a few months ago . I was tired of paying 90.00 dollars plus for just sports

Then went got PSVUE but again, didnt want to pay 35 bucks for like 4 channels so know i just stream from my laptop and hook it to my tv

One or two folks here believe that those streaming Nascar product and the number of hits Nascar websites receive more than make up for the traditional viewer loss the series has sustained.

I don't understand why you think *another* decrease in ratings is positive.

He must not have seen the post from @FLRacingFan earlier in the thread that partially read:

"Despite being up 5 percent in viewership for the Daytona 500, the sport’s biggest race, the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series was down 12 percent in viewership from the first half of last season, from an average of 5.6 million to 4.9 million. After Daytona, Fox Sports only saw one more race with an audience uptick, and eight of 14 races studied saw double-digit percentage declines compared to 2016."

He must not have seen the post from @FLRacingFan earlier in the thread that partially read:

"Despite being up 5 percent in viewership for the Daytona 500, the sport’s biggest race, the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series was down 12 percent in viewership from the first half of last season, from an average of 5.6 million to 4.9 million. After Daytona, Fox Sports only saw one more race with an audience uptick, and eight of 14 races studied saw double-digit percentage declines compared to 2016."
There's no need to shout and get all red in the face.

It must mean something to NBC.

Has there been a decrease in advertising during broadcasts?

I can't answer that as I don't watch commercials but I would be surprised if all commercial slots were not filled but with lower ratings and the poor demographic the sales price of a 30 second spot would be less.

Yes, it would be.

Unless "most watched" sport of the weekend plays into pricing. It might.

Yes, it would be.

Unless "most watched" sport of the weekend plays into pricing. It might.

oh now you did it. You're just asking for the standard stick n ball "you just wait until foobah season". They are losing fans also quiet as it is kept, some say as much as 50% of the youngsters. So being "most watched" with a peak of 3.7 million isn't bad for a bunch of racing IMO. 3 series that day.

cawsnjaws.com has a commercials breakdown for NASCAR races on their site.I was surprised only 2 beer commercials during the race Sunday.All sports networks do a lot of promoting their upcoming sporting events whenever they can.

Back
Top Bottom