2017 Sonoma - Toyota/Save Mart 350 - Pre Race Thread

Larson has it going right now and needs to take advantage of it, he seems to be doing that. He is a good racer , but as everyone who has watched this sport very long there are a lot of downs and very few highs except for a few drivers who have had sustained success over several years. I'm not saying he won't continue with his current upswing but typically it only lasts for a season or two. I use Harvick as the latest example dominant car for a couple of years and now just not quite the same.

I have a sneaky feeling that Larson is going to run into some bad fortune come the playoffs. He's basically had a spotless season to this point. All it takes is a bad stretch like the 22 or 24 had and it's a swift goodbye.

I have a sneaky feeling that Larson is going to run into some bad fortune come the playoffs. He's basically had a spotless season to this point. All it takes is a bad stretch like the 22 or 24 had and it's a swift goodbye.
yeah I'm curious as to how valuable the highly touted playoff points will work if that happens.

Proof that she can hang with the boys. She's had a rough go lately getting caught up in wrecks not of her doing.
That she has.
You may want to suspend your hiatus from watching tomoro. I can't wait to see this race! I believe 7am here...so 12.00 pst

My boycott is for one year. I have to not watch an entire season. I can honestly say that I don't miss wasting a Saturday or Sunday.
I hope NASCAR wakes the $#%* up.

Larson was a beast in quali... Based on the tracker, Blaney had the speed but he seemed super out of rhythm in the final round.... then again, so did the 42. Lmao, god I love stock cars turning right.

Cannot wait till tomorrow.

So here is a fun story from Sonoma today. We took my 5 year old because A) he loves the races, but B) Sonoma was doing a meet and greet with Larson, Hamlin and McMurray(his driver). To get in you had to ha e a wristband that they were giving out starting at 9am when the track opened. We arrive at 845 and walk to where the wristbands are. Apparently, they opened the track to the people in the campground at 8......and all the wristbands are gone. My son claims to not be disappointed, but you can see it on his face, which for a parent, is the worst. So after feeling like parental failures, I make a plan B and plan C. First I was going to stake out the place where they were signing and determine where they would be entering from. If that didn't work I had $100 Bill ready to buy my way in, lol. I didn't tell my wife about plan C. All we wanted was a quick bit of recognition from Jamie to my son. He has been talking about just saying Hi to him for 3 years. I nailed it on Plan B as Hamlin pulls up and exits a car. We don't move because we don't care. So now I know I have the right idea. However, so do about 20 other adults. Larson walks up as another vehicle pulls up and all hell breaks loose. McMurray jumps out and is rushed into the autograph session. They sign for about 20 minutes. I'm not waiting with my Son at the exit. I watch the PR guys exit in the back and I step around the crowd and rush to where they are exiting right as Jamie comes out. I yell a couple times to him and as he looks I thrust my kid into his face in full Mac gear. He gives him a "what's up buddy, and a fist pound." To which my kids mouth falls open and Larson laughs. Now, I am in full Larson gear and he looks at me puzzled as we we just turn around and leave him standing there. Then the mass of humanity begins chasing them as we celebrate our winning back the weekend like we are in victory lane.

I have to say that I was literally willing to do anything for that moment which is funny because I am pretty unimpressed by athletes. I later told my wife about plan C and she shook her head and asked if I was going to consult her. My only response was that I had to do what I had to do. She said, i know.....its a NASCAR thing.

Now we are walking around the hotel calling ourselves and our drivers a couple of front row joes.

Last edited:
So here is a fun story from Sonoma today. We took my 5 year old because A) he loves the races, but B) Sonoma was doing a meet and greet with Larson, Hamlin and McMurray(his driver). To get in you had to ha e a wristband that they were giving out starting at 9am when the track opened. We arrive at 845 and walk to where the wristbands are. Apparently, they opened the track to the people in the campground at 8......and all the wristbands are gone. My son claims to not be disappointed, but you can see it on his face, which for a parent, is the worst. So after feeling like parental failures, I make a plan B and plan C. First I was going to stake out the place where they were signing and determine where they would be entering from. If that didn't work I had $100 Bill ready to buy my way in, lol. I didn't tell my wife about plan C. All we wanted was a quick bit of recognition from Jamie to my son. He has been talking about just saying Hi to him for 3 years. I nailed it on Plan B as Hamlin pulls up and exits a car. We don't move because we don't care. So now I know I have the right idea. However, so do about 20 other adults. Larson walks up as another vehicle pulls up and all hell breaks loose. McMurray jumps out and is rushed into the autograph session. They sign for about 20 minutes. I'm not waiting with my Son at the exit. I watch the PR guys exit in the back and I step around the crowd and rush to where they are exiting right as Jamie comes out. I yell a couple times to him and as he looks I thrust my kid into his face in full Mac gear. He gives him a "what's up buddy, and a fist pound." To which my kids mouth falls open and Larson laughs. Now, I am in full Larson gear and he looks at me puzzled as we we just turn around and leave him standing there. Then the mass of humanity begins chasing them as we celebrate our winning back the weekend like we are in victory lane.

I have to say that I was literally willing to do anything for that moment which is funny because I am pretty unimpressed by athletes. I later told my wife about plan C and she shook her head and asked if I was going to consult her. My only response was that I had to do what I had to do. She said, i know.....its a NASCAR thing.

Now we are walking around the hotel calling ourselves and our drivers a couple of front row joes.

That's awesome. This sport is beautiful amirite?

Yeah, its what makes it so great. These guys are like super heroes taming these out of control cars to these kids and to most adults. This is the reason why it is so hard for me to be critical of the sport. I still look at it from the eyes of my 5 year old. We have a photo of the two of us as we turned away after the fist bump amd we both have shocked **** eating grins on our faces and Larson is laughing in the background.

Yeah, its what makes it so great. These guys are like super heroes taming these out of control cars to these kids and to most adults. This is the reason why it is so hard for me to be critical of the sport. I still look at it from the eyes of my 5 year old. We have a photo of the two of us as we turned away after the fist bump amd we both have shocked sh!t eating grins on our faces and Larson is laughing in the background.

I don't think I want kids... but if I do, this is some of the **** I might look forward to. Furthermore, I remember my own young self and the amount of appreciation I had for the drivers and the cars and it hasn't changed a bit in 20+ years. Good on you for keeping the sport alive for the next generation. :punkrocke

Note: All times are ET

SUNDAY, JUNE 25

RUN OF SHOW
–3:00:00 p.m. Presentation of colors by Travis Air Force Base Honor Guard
–3:00:20 p.m. Invocation by Tim Boeve, track minister
–3:01:00 p.m. National anthem by Natalie Gallo, Transcendence Theatre Company’s Broadway Under the Stars
–3:02:30 p.m. Fly-By performed by 173rd Fighter Wing out of Kingsley Field in Southern Oregon (Turn 11 to Turn 7)
–3:08:00 p.m. “Drivers, Start your engines” by Cristela Alonzo, voice of Cruz Ramirez in Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3 & Mr. Renee’ Doss, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
–3:20:00 p.m. Green flag

ON TRACK
SONOMA RACEWAY
– 3 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Toyota / Save Mart 350 (110 laps, 218.9 miles), FS1 (Canada; TSN 2) (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
— 6 p.m. (approx.): Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race

Love your story. I'm so glad your son got to converse with McMurray. :)

Edit: I remember my little at the time niece was on cloud 9 when Junior waved at her.

You're a hero dad. Great story.

I met Gordon and saw him win after 21 years of waiting a day going to races. My 28 year old adult self was probably more giddy than I would've been as a youngin. Will never forget it.

Michael the idiots last gridwalk this year and hopefully ever. I don't like muting my TV during race stuff.

Now that was the way an anthem is done. :booya:

The next Jimmie Johnson.

Hate how hard NASCAR pushes these narratives.

Larson may be the next Tony Stewart. Lets have him win multiple titles before comparing him to all time greats/the possible GOAT. Gimmie a break with that crap.

The next Jimmie Johnson.

Hate how hard NASCAR pushes these narratives.

Larson may be the next Tony Stewart. Lets have him win multiple titles before comparing him to all time greats/the possible GOAT. Gimmie a break with that crap.
And before that it was "_____ is the next Jeff Gordon!" This GOAT stuff is out of hand. It would be a huge accomplishment for these young guys coming up through the ladder system to even hit 20 wins.

Almost spilled my iced tea -------
nascarcasm‏Verified account @nascarcasm 2m2 minutes ago
This view. This area. Amazing. We're racing probably about a quarter mile from sheep that are having sex right now. #NASCAR #Sonoma
DDMHrfUUwAAg8DV.jpg

Wow, Harvick has heat shields on the bottom on his shoes. Smart thing to to keep his feet from burning off.

Fox is trying to make me not like Larson by building him up so much, please stop

This one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of his, even though I was. The other, (and I got crap for it at Dover) This, is the way he drives a marathon style race. He sometimes pisses off veterans, and he pushes himself too hard too early, he psyches himself out, it is clear and it has cost him a few wins.

That aside, he seems like a super nice, likeable kid, but I think he needs to cool it a bit at times on the track. He's got talent, and a personality, and as a person I like the kid a lot! He's humble and respectful, but that doesn't totally apply to the way he drives yet. That's why I find myself rooting againsy #42 this season.

He will be able to apply it practically with experience as he matures, I genuinly believe that, and at that point, I'll be a fan. Just not right now.

Back
Top Bottom