2018 Atlanta - Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 - Pre Race Thread

Looks good for Monday afternoon

upload_2018-2-24_8-29-36.png

Martin Truex Jr.: "Atlanta will test my title defense bid"
nascar-cup-daytona-500-2018-martin-truex-jr-furniture-row-racing-toyota-7618810.jpg

Reigning NASCAR Cup champion Martin Truex Jr. says this weekend’s Atlanta race will help determine how competitive he will be in 2018.

Truex’s average finishing position on the 11 1.5-mile tracks last year was 2.4 and he says his consistency is why he features so strongly.

“We not only had one of the fastest cars all the time, we executed well, qualified well and got those stage points early,” he said. “

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-martin-truex-jr-atlanta-1008229/

Saturday’s schedule at Atlanta: Cup practice; Xfinity, Trucks qualifying and races
(Times Eastern)

9:10 a.m. – Xfinity qualifying; multi-car/three rounds (Fox Sports 1)

10:35 a.m. – Truck Series qualifying; single truck/two rounds (FS1)

Noon – 1:20 p.m. – Final Cup practice (FS1)

2 p.m. – Rinnai 250; 163 miles/251.02 miles (FS1, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)

4:30 p.m. ET – Active Pest Control 200; 130 laps; 200.2 miles (FS1, Motor Racing Network, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)

Martin Truex Jr.: "Atlanta will test my title defense bid"
nascar-cup-daytona-500-2018-martin-truex-jr-furniture-row-racing-toyota-7618810.jpg

Reigning NASCAR Cup champion Martin Truex Jr. says this weekend’s Atlanta race will help determine how competitive he will be in 2018.

Truex’s average finishing position on the 11 1.5-mile tracks last year was 2.4 and he says his consistency is why he features so strongly.

“We not only had one of the fastest cars all the time, we executed well, qualified well and got those stage points early,” he said. “

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-martin-truex-jr-atlanta-1008229/
I think this states where NASCAR is today. If a team’s short track and super speedway setups are top notch, they might be in contention. Although if their mile and a half track setup is great, they are certain to be in contention. Jimmie Johnson said it several times about how that propelled him in the chase because it was mostly 1.5 aero push tracks.

Need more track diversity.

What I got out of the story is that he is starting 36th because of a cheated up car that didn't pass inspection. That could be a real problem for Truex this year and he could be the first casualty of the new inspection system. Time will tell but he isn't starting out very well

I think this states where NASCAR is today. If a team’s short track and super speedway setups are top notch, they might be in contention. Although if their mile and a half track setup is great, they are certain to be in contention. Jimmie Johnson said it several times about how that propelled him in the chase because it was mostly 1.5 aero push tracks.

Need more track diversity.

That’s where RACING is today. That’s the one great thing about short tracks and superspeedways, it isn’t all about aero. Could you imagine Daytona without plates, lol good luck passing with 235 mph of turbulence hitting you in the nose

Yes I believe the cracked surface of the track is better than fake VHT to screw the 48.

Moves to 1pm

Odds of starting still below 50%

Does nothing further

Lol

Instead of making fans sit through Sunday's showers
rain.gif
just run the Cup race tonight before the rain comes in and make a triple-header Saturday out of it.

The Xfinity and Camping World ticket holders and the Monster Energy ticket holders fighting for seats should make it that much more interesting. :boxing:

rain.gif
just run the Cup race tonight before the rain comes in and make a triple-header Saturday out of it.

The Xfinity and Camping World ticket holders and the Monster Energy ticket holders fighting for seats should make it that much more interesting. :boxing:
It makes to much sense for them to do that lol

rain.gif

Inb4 “but the attending fans”

I don't think Logano has a 50% chance. The top 7 at Daytona were Xfinity regulars. Definitely not persuading you to watch, but changes occur and people stuck in their old ways don't catch the wave so to speak

Cup regulars won 19 of 33 Xfinity races last year. Excluding playoff races, Cup regulars won 17 of 26 regular season Xfinity races. That's 2/3rds of all regular season Xfinity races.

Turns out, the Xfinity race is over.

SPOILER ALERT: One of the two Cup regulars in the race won. I'm shocked.

EDIT: I will admit saying either of the Cup regulars had a 50% chance was a slight exaggeration.

More realistically, both Cup regulars each had a 1/3 chance (2/3 for Cup drivers combined), and all Xfinity drivers combined had a 1/3 chance.

Last edited:
I really hope they get it in tomorrow. A Sunday afternoon Atlanta Cup race along with Tiger lurking near the top of the leaderboard would be awesome!

If it's postponed I'll gladly watch on Monday. I still have one more week off before I head back to work (golf industry so i'm like a teacher).

Now Im no fan of Nascar managers but they are in one of them rock and hard place deals. If they call the race off and they coulda got it in people will complain. If they try and get the race going but cant the fans will bitch about that to. Its all good as we can bitch about something other then Hamlin hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom