2018 Atlanta - Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 - Pre Race Thread

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck 4m4 minutes ago
Update on inspection, about 15 min before quals.

DWwH37qU8AELEiV.jpg

Wish John Deere was still involved with the sport.

That 97 was quite the looker back in the late 90s'.
Oh yes, one of my favorite paint schemes from the 90's, the John Deere Pontiac/Ford

Defending NASCAR Cup Series champion Martin Truex Jr. will start 36th Sunday as his team failed prequalifying inspection three times. That likely means his car chief will be ejected for the rest of the race weekend. If the Furniture Row Racing team has tried to get through on a fourth try, the crew chief would have been ejected for the rest of the weekend and the team docked 10 points.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0758818796566747989-4

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 7m7 minutes ago

NASCAR said if a team fails four times pre-qualifying that it is not only ejection of crew chief but also 10 points. Truex will start 36th. #nascar

No more cheating this year TRUEX!!! They not going to get through this year with that same bullsh*t they was getting through last year.. good job NASCAR!

Ryan Who-man?

That's actually a pretty surprising top 12. Newman, Suarez, Stenhouse, Bowyer, and especially Almirola- all good runs

Ryan Who-man?

That's actually a pretty surprising top 12. Newman, Suarez, Stenhouse, Bowyer, and especially Almirola- all good runs

all of the paid for talkers, Craven and company are saying Almirola will flirt with getting into the playoffs, in other words around 16th or worse. I think they are dead wrong myself.

all of the paid for talkers, Craven and company are saying Almirola will flirt with getting into the playoffs, in other words around 16th or worse. I think they are dead wrong myself.

Why would the talking heads be playing him downward? Geez, he was within a half of a lap from winning the 500, he's in better equipment this year, so I wonder what is their motivation for treating him like an also ran? According to the top 12 in qualifying, he's faster than the guy that turned him at Daytona.

Why would the talking heads be playing him downward? Geez, he was within a half of a lap from winning the 500, he's in better equipment this year, so I wonder what is their motivation for treating him like an also ran? According to the top 12 in qualifying, he's faster than the guy that turned him at Daytona.
I know what you mean here are some of them, some think he will make the playoffs
Bob Pockrass, ESPN.com: A great 199.5 laps of a debut. Almirola will be on the bubble to make the playoffs and most likely will get in.
Scott Symmes, ESPN.com: Even though Almirola was "devastated" with the last-lap crash, the No. 10 team should be elated that it had the strength to nearly win after starting in the back of the field (backup car). Expect a hungry Almirola to be in the playoff mix all season, and he could make the cut with a break or two.
Scott Page, Jayski editor: This pairing couldn't have asked for much more in their first race together. Almirola could steal a win, but I think he's more likely to hang close to the playoff cutoff all season.
Ricky Craven, ESPN NASCAR analyst: Grade: A. He executed a great race until the last mile. I'm not sure Almirola wins a race this year, but he makes a strong run at a playoff spot.

“We were supposed to have limited the inspection process by a lot. It’s supposed to be what, 90 seconds?” Chase Elliott said. “If everybody gets through in 90 seconds, we shouldn’t have any issues, right?”

For the most part, that was the case. More than half the field (20 of 36 cars) breezed through on the first attempt, and only three cars had to make more than two attempts.

But while Jimmie Johnson and Harrison Rhodes made it through on their third tries, defending Cup champion Martin Truex Jr. did not. As a result, he will start 35th and spend the weekend without car chief Blake Harris, who was ejected.

http://jeffgluck.com/on-first-day-where-it-really-mattered-nascars-new-inspection-system-delivered/

And the penalties:

I know what you mean here are some of them, some think he will make the playoffs
Bob Pockrass, ESPN.com: A great 199.5 laps of a debut. Almirola will be on the bubble to make the playoffs and most likely will get in.
Scott Symmes, ESPN.com: Even though Almirola was "devastated" with the last-lap crash, the No. 10 team should be elated that it had the strength to nearly win after starting in the back of the field (backup car). Expect a hungry Almirola to be in the playoff mix all season, and he could make the cut with a break or two.
Scott Page, Jayski editor: This pairing couldn't have asked for much more in their first race together. Almirola could steal a win, but I think he's more likely to hang close to the playoff cutoff all season.
Ricky Craven, ESPN NASCAR analyst: Grade: A. He executed a great race until the last mile. I'm not sure Almirola wins a race this year, but he makes a strong run at a playoff spot.

Not sure I get this line of thinking. He'd hardly been talked about all day. In other words: midfield and everyone in front of him wrecked.

DWwKuXaVQAADd4m.jpg:large

not getting away with it this year?
Miller said “there’s no real way to fake your way through there.”
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t u one of the ones last year that said it was all Truex and not car?? I could be wrong but I thought u said that

Something about this picture is simplistically cool. The one thing that the smaller attendance has done is "open up" some of the tracks with fewer stands which I think is for the better. That's one thing I've always liked about Pocono. It's the racetrack and nothing as you look out from the top of the grandstand.

Atlanta has always been on my list of 4-5 tracks to get to but its dates have been brutal going back decades.

Another new feature of the new inspection system, Nascar picks a "crew member" to suspend on the team. They can pick anybody they choose, Miller said the car chief is likely going to be suspended. He dodged what would happen if the car failed 4 times

HMS lookin like poop. Hoping for a better day. tomorrow

Sidenote - the guys that build the spec engines for the trucks are staying at our hotel. Chatted with one in the elevator and saw the whole group of em out in the parking lot.
Learn anything you'd like to share? :)

Something about this picture is simplistically cool. The one thing that the smaller attendance has done is "open up" some of the tracks with fewer stands which I think is for the better. That's one thing I've always liked about Pocono. It's the racetrack and nothing as you look out from the top of the grandstand....
I always preferred the seats they removed down in 3 and 4 to the ones on the front stretch. I thought they gave a much better view of the racing.

Back
Top Bottom