2018 Charlotte - All Star - Pre-Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series are at Charlotte Motor Speedway for All-Star weekend. Check out the tentative full schedule, subject to change.

Note: All times are ET

Friday, May 18
9:05 -9:55 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice
10:35-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1
11:30-12:10 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice (All-Star Open), FS1
12:15-12:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice (All-Star Race), FS1
1-1:40 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice (All-Star Open), FS1
1:45-2:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice (All-Star Race), FS1
2:30-2:40 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series pit road speed practice (Group 1), FS1
2:45-2:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series pit road speed practice (Group 2), FS1
4:40 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series pole qualifying, FS1
6:05 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Open Busch Pole Award qualifying, FS1
6:35 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race Busch Pole Award qualifying (three laps with pit stop), FS1
8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series North Carolina Education Lottery 200 (134 laps, 201 miles), FS1

Press Pass (Watch live)
10:45 p.m.: Post-NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race

Saturday, May 19
6 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Open (20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), FS1
8 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race (30 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), FS1

Press Pass (Watch live)
10 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race

Race weekend's totally premature weather forecast.....

095e2bf550a9c6648e745a67118ed9ba.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Anytime the cars become the focus, I get jacked. Should be very interesting to see what this restrictor plate package does on this track.

I'm excited for additional plate racing. Hoping for underfunded all-time talents David Ragan and Austin Dillon to finesse the field to another upset victory.

That's what I'm waiting for. Very curious.

Part of me wants the usual package so that MY TRD powered Toyotas can experiment to get caught up, but the other part of me likes the way NASCAR is using this event to explore the possibilities. The scary part is that if it flops, this fuels the negativity surrounding this great sport, but if it is a hit......it could inject energy into this sport IF NASCAR is willing to implement the changes immediately.

I'm excited for additional plate racing. Hoping for underfunded all-time talents David Ragan and Austin Dillon to finesse the field to another upset victory.

I know they are using plates, but do you think they will drive like Daytona or 'Dega? Another great question....Will this package reward the plate skill set?

Anytime a plate is the focus of racing there should be no one excited about it.

Part of me wants the usual package so that MY TRD powered Toyotas can experiment to get caught up, but the other part of me likes the way NASCAR is using this event to explore the possibilities. The scary part is that if it flops, this fuels the negativity surrounding this great sport, but if it is a hit......it could inject energy into this sport IF NASCAR is willing to implement the changes immediately.
How could plates be a hit?

Anytime the cars become the focus, I get jacked. Should be very interesting to see what this restrictor plate package does on this track.
I'm hoping it works out like Kansas recently did for the trucks. They drove it wide open. Kansas is a multi groove track though so ya never know. A field full of Cup drivers should make it interesting, KDB should have a bit of an advantage, he has had a lot of practice and knows how to keep his momentum up.

I'm hoping it works out like Kansas recently did for the trucks. They drove it wide open. Kansas is a multi groove track though so ya never know. A field full of Cup drivers should make it interesting, KDB should have a bit of advantage, he has had a lot of practice and knows how to keep his momentum up.
When plates become a focus on any track it's not a good thing.

Didn't know they were going to use plates, should be interesting. The 4 stages is kinfmd of weird. Do they get any money for winning a stage?

I know they are using plates, but do you think they will drive like Daytona or 'Dega? Another great question....Will this package reward the plate skill set?
I don't think they'll be as on-edge, bigger spoiler and dog ears should make them easier to handle. Should be a lot draggier.

Didn't know they were going to use plates, should be interesting. The 4 stages is kinfmd of weird. Do they get any money for winning a stage?

I think two different events are involved with your comments.
1. The plate is for the All Star show
2. The 4 stages is for the race, the world 600.

I Hope using plates go better than when they did at New Hampshire back in 2000 cause that was terrible.
Also keep in mind that Loudon is a slower-speed flat track. And yes, that race was a total snooze. I remember seeing Big E walk out holding
a plate at arm's length -- like it was a poisonous snake.

I think two different events are involved with your comments.
1. The plate is for the All Star show
2. The 4 stages is for the race, the world 600.

Yeah, I didn't know they were using plates for it.

This is from the schedule above though

8 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race (30 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), FS1

• The format for the annual non-points event will include four stages - 30 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps and 10 laps.

• Only green flag laps will be counted in the Final Stage.

• Normal stage break procedures will be in effect, but NASCAR Overtime will be in play for all stages.

• There will be no mandatory pit strategy.

• The Monster Energy Open will be three stages set at 20, 20 and 10 laps respectively. Each stage winner will advance to the evening's main event.

The Monster Energy Open will be three stages set at 20, 20 and 10 laps respectively. Each stage winner will advance to the evening's main event.
If the driver that wins the first stage, wins the other two, does that mean they are in the last one by their self? It wouldn't be fair to make them sit out, because it would be to hard to keep up with the changing track. I know that's a dumb question, but I think it illustrates how little thought they put into this.

If the driver that wins the first stage, wins the other two, does that mean they are in the last one by their self? It wouldn't be fair to make them sit out, because it would be to hard to keep up with the changing track. I know that's a dumb question, but I think it illustrates how little thought they put into this.
I believe the winner can park it knowing they're in already

Is this considered brave or desperate by Nascar? I can't really decide myself.....

Will be interesting to see how cars race with restrictor plates at a normal track like this.

I'm glad they're trying this in an exhibition race, and not in a points-paying race.

Only option really. Can’t use V6’s because that would anger people. Can’t really tell engineers to quit doing their job and make worse vehicles
There are many ways to slow them down, but aLas this is a tired argument in which Nascar won't listen. I'm just hoping the plates are a big flop.

and then of course is the rush to judgement where Nascar refuses to contemplate the affects of changes and just does so to get the meeting over with.

Hope the package works well and the race is exciting...

or

Hope the package fails so NASCAR doesn't get tempted to use it at every track...

I'm conflicted.
No conflict here, but my opposition to any use of plates is well documented.

"OEM specific aerodynamic ducts"......Hmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom