2018 - Daytona 500 - Pre Race Thread

Oh, I've seen wreckathons before. Covered an asphalt Limited Late Model race a few years ago that still gives me nightmares.

The thing about Eldora is the violence of the wrecks. To see some 1500-2000 lb car running a 150 mph lap lose it in a corner is something else. Doesn’t have the overall hitting of LM it tho

Sunday, Feb. 11
12:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying (single vehicle/two rounds), FOX (TSN2) (Follow live)
3:00 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Advance Auto Parts Clash (75 laps, 187.5 miles), FS1 (TSN2) (Follow live)

Press Pass (Watch live)
11 a.m.: Richard Rawlings
1:45 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Daytona 500 qualifying
4:30 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Advance Auto Parts Clash race

GettyImages-916594022.jpg

what s with these patches?

Thinking that you will see a Chevy on pole, and a Toyota in Victory Lane in the Clash today. I will be jacked if I get three of MY TRD powered Camrys in the Top 12 in qualifying.

Looking like a cloudy day in Daytona with little chance of rain until the sun goes down.

It’s a great day for racing!

GettyImages-916594022.jpg

what s with these patches?
At last, something that makes sense. Use Velcro patches so that you don't have to completely modify the uniform / fire suit when a person changes teams for the weekend.

It took the U.S. military a couple of decades to figure that out. I'm glad to see NASCAR is capable of learning from someone else's experience, at least once.

I assume RC1 is one of the Childress teams.

Last edited:
Remember when I said the Velcro patches made sense, that NASCAR was showing signs of being capable of learning? Forget all that.

What idiot arranged this chart? Anybody who's spent 15 minutes around racing would have arrange the positions like the starting grid. Fans are going to look at this and assume these are inside line and outside line with the #42 on the outside pole, because that's the way every single other starting line-up graphic on the planet is arranged. :rolleyes:

1---2
3---4
5---6 etc.

NASCAR needs to look at how they deal with wrecks. Either they need more people to deal with them or better ways to deal with the carnage. Red flagging a race numerous times for long periods is cruel and unusual punishment to the fans at the track, the fans at home, and to the drivers stuck in their cars.

Remember when I said the Velcro patches made sense, that NASCAR was showing signs of being capable of learning? Forget all that.

What idiot arranged this chart? Anybody who's spent 15 minutes around racing would have arrange the positions like the starting grid. Fans are going to look at this and assume these are inside line and outside line with the #42 on the outside pole, because that's the way every single other starting line-up graphic on the planet is arranged. :rolleyes:

1---2
3---4
5---6 etc.

Huh?
DVtoUGQXcAEN1t_.jpg:large

You've made the very mistake I'm pointing out. Look at it again, closely this time. Specifically, look at the starting position numbers to the left of the each car number.

Tell me which cars start on the outside. Here's a hint: it's NOT the cars in the right-hand column. Unless I missed a rules change, cars in the even-numbered positions start on the outside, not cars in the last half of the field.

Last edited:
You've made the very mistake I'm pointing out. Look at it again, closely this time. Specifically, look at the starting position numbers to the left of the each car number.

Tell me which cars start on the outside. Here's a hint: it's NOT the #42, #31, #9, #18, #41, #12, #1, #2.
I've made what? Bud, go get another cup of coffee or something

At last, something that makes sense. Use Velcro patches so that you don't have to completely modify the uniform / fire suit when a person changes teams for the weekend.

It took the U.S. military a couple of decades to figure that out. I'm glad to see NASCAR is capable of learning from someone else's experience, at least once.

I assume RC1 is one of the Childress teams.
Position. So rear carrier or rear changer for Buescher.

Tell me which cars start on the outside. Here's a hint: it's NOT the cars in the right-hand column. Unless I missed a rules change, cars in the even-numbered positions start on the outside, not cars in the last half of the field.

I think we all know the outside line are even numbers. :p

@StandOnIt , @Pat , I guess I'm the only one who thinks this would make more sense if the columns matched the starting grid arrangement.

I'll have big glass of prune juice and see if I feel better about in a few hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat
@StandOnIt , @Pat , I guess I'm the only one who thinks this would make more sense if the columns matched the starting grid arrangement.

I'll have big glass of prune juice and see if I feel better about after a few hours.
No, I agree. At first glance it looked like Harvick is starting last.

My guess - this project was handed off to an intern with little racing knowledge.

I'll have big glass of prune juice and see if I feel better about in a few hours.

That board is messed up. The front row should be the top two numbers. Side by side. positions 1-2 . That's the way I've always seen it done.
3-4
5-6

The dumb thing should be set up like this:

P1 #3......P2 #11
P3 #22....P4 #20
P5 #48....P6 #78
etc.

That's the way the cars will line up on the track.

Agreed, somebody didn't have a clue about the starting grid.

Back
Top Bottom