2018 DAYTONA -- THE COKE ZERO SUGAR 400 - Pre-Race Thread

Johali

Team Owner
Contributor
THE RACE: THE COKE ZERO SUGAR 400

TRACK
: Daytona Speedway

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race #18 of 36

Date: Saturday, July 7th, 2018 Daytona Fl..

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 7:15 pm/et
=======================================

Thursday, July 5
1:00 PM, NXS Daytona practice, NBCSN
2:00 PM, MENCS Daytona practice, NBCSN
3:00 PM, NXS Daytona final practice, NBCSN
4:00 PM, MENCS Daytona final practice, NBCSN

Friday, July 6
8:30 AM, NXS Daytona practice re-air, NBCSN
9:30 AM, MENCS Daytona practice re-air, NBCSN
10:30 AM, NXS Daytona final practice re-air, NBCSN
11:30 AM, MENCS Daytona final practice re-air, NBCSN
2:00 PM, NXS Daytona qualifying, NBCSN
4:00 PM, MENCS Daytona qualifying, NBCSN
7:30 PM, NXS Daytona race, NBCSN
10:00 PM, NXS Post Race, NBCSN

Saturday, July 7
6:30 PM, Countdown to Green, NBCSN
7:00 PM, MENCS Daytona race, NBC
11:00 PM, MENCS Post Race, NBCSN

You heard it here first. Keep your eyes on Dinger and McDowell Saturday night.

The Chevy's absolutely need to band together and stand up to the Fords and Toyotas Saturday. They have some legitimate contenders that can win this race if they come at them. They have shown zero teamwork on the plate tracks since probably the July race of '15 which was an all HMS show up front. Chase was swimming in a sea of Fords at the end of the Dega race, and he did a great job but there's just no way you're going to actually win by yourself. SHR and Penske are going to be up for the challenge + Stenhouse.

I'm going to be in Florida this weekend. :) :) :)

However, I'm going to be in Miami Beach, not Daytona. :oops:

Oh well. I'm sure watching the race on TV will be more fun in Miami Beach than here in Fort Worth.

Looks like one will be sent home this weekend. 41 entered. Gaulding out of the 23 Yeley in and Steakhouse elite is the Sponsor.

I'm going to be in Florida this weekend. :) :) :)

However, I'm going to be in Miami Beach, not Daytona. :oops:

Oh well. I'm sure watching the race on TV will be more fun in Miami Beach than here in Fort Worth.

:(
I drove past Daytona last Friday
and by Atlanta
and by Charlotte
and by Louisville (Saturday)

:(
I drove past Daytona last Friday
and by Atlanta
and by Charlotte
and by Louisville (Saturday)
Few people go through both Atlanta and Charlotte to get from Daytona to Louisville. Kinda out of the way by a few hundred miles.

Plate races are what they are. Love this race at night.

Five open, non-charter cars entered for four open starting spots...

7 Earnhardt
62 Gaughan
92 Peters
96 Kennington
99 Cassill

If qualifying is rained out, who gets sent home early? The 99 trails in owner points, just 9 points from four races entered. Landon Cassill has usually driven the 00, not the 99, so I guess a pay driver is in the 00 this week and would have the charter guaranteed slot.

The 62 entered for Brendan Gaughan has just two previous attempts, but I don't think attempts count any longer?? Anyone know?

I had the great fun of attending the very first night race --- took my dad and he had a blast.

That is cool. Wondering in this context (apologize for being off topic), if there is any race not made better when you attend with loved ones. Three years ago, I would never have considered going to Sonoma. My kid asked for a road trip two years ago. @StandOnIt had changed my thinking about road courses at that point. We went. Great time. Went this year, Toyota win, epic memories. It is now a tradition. On the twelve hour drive home...."Dad, let's do this every year." Heck yes. :D

30 years ago!

This was the last Firecracker 400 that wasn't shown in its entirety due to it being part ABC's "Wide World of Sports". ESPN picked up coverage in 1989 then went live with it in 1990. The '88 400 might be the last Cup race in general that wasn't given flag to flag coverage. I know there were several tape delayed events through the mid to late 90's.

Five open, non-charter cars entered for four open starting spots...

7 Earnhardt
62 Gaughan
92 Peters
96 Kennington
99 Cassill

If qualifying is rained out, who gets sent home early? The 99 trails in owner points, just 9 points from four races entered. Landon Cassill has usually driven the 00, not the 99, so I guess a pay driver is in the 00 this week and would have the charter guaranteed slot.

The 62 entered for Brendan Gaughan has just two previous attempts, but I don't think attempts count any longer?? Anyone know?
They use last years owner points the first 3 races of the year then switch to current owner points after. A tie would be broken by first entry received.

They use last years owner points the first 3 races of the year then switch to current owner points after. A tie would be broken by first entry received.
So yes you are correct, the 99 would be odd man out.

Anybody thinking that the new blade and plate will have any kind of effect?

Hearing that Toyota Racing has an announcement at the Injector. Speculation on NASCAR Radio suggest something about a new car. We talking Supra for Xfinity? Can't imagine that they are changing the Cup car, but who the hell knows? On the edge of my seat!

Daytona!!!!!
checkbanana.gif
checkbanana.gif
checkbanana.gif
checkbanana.gif
checkbanana.gif

Also in tonight's news, competitors who aren't good enough to win most competitions they take part in would be interested in whatever can be done to help them win more.

Let me help Austin,
1. Money ( which encompasses - engineering, R&D, personnel,)
2. Better Drivers

Yeah, it tippy-toed just along the west side of I-95. I hope that's all they get this weekend.

30 years ago!

This was the last Firecracker 400 that wasn't shown in its entirety due to it being part ABC's "Wide World of Sports". ESPN picked up coverage in 1989 then went live with it in 1990. The '88 400 might be the last Cup race in general that wasn't given flag to flag coverage. I know there were several tape delayed events through the mid to late 90's.

I remember a later race that had same day tape delay and they did a "we cut ahead in the race" deal.

When and where can't possibly tell you. But I think it was an ESPN race.

Also in tonight's news, competitors who aren't good enough to win most competitions they take part in would be interested in whatever can be done to help them win more.

He doesn't know? Getting more winners is the responsibility of any and all of the other 35 race teams that are out there getting their asses kicked every week by the 4. the 18 and the 78.

Until something changes, Austin can continue to look back fondly on his glory days as a T-Ball stud.

Can not wait for "the great equalizer" - the draft - to showcase the superior driving abilities of the likes of Ricky Stenhouse, Jr., and Austin Dillon.

I wonder if Dale Jr. can still see the air from the booth?
One of these is not like the other.

I don’t know where to put this forgive me but since we are in “the second half of the season” I’d like to revisit a storyline from earlier in the year specially pre season. The media shoved this storyline down our throat with the young drivers taking over and saving the sport. Well Larson, Elliott, Jones, Suarez, Byron have zero wins so far in 18,So low and behold I come across this article today. https://sports.yahoo.com/unfair-isc-blame-young-drivers-not-winning-slow-ticket-sales-213222797.html such rubbish some media members

Back
Top Bottom