2018 Homestead -- Ford EcoBoost 400 -- Pre-Race Thread

I'm no lawyer nor a Nascar expert, but this seems clear enough to me. Where is Steve Phelps' response? What sanctions will Nascar impose upon Gibbs for violating this rule?

I don't know what stall the #11 team picked. A case could be made that whatever stall the team picked is the one they felt provided the best competitive advantage, especially if it's the first stall as you enter pit road.

Let the record show I'm not the one who's able to make that case. At least, not with a straight face.

Kyle Busch has slapped the wall in practice

#22 posted fastest lap.

Reactions: Pat
Kyle Busch has slapped the wall in practice

#22 posted fastest lap.

I wish they would practice later to simulate the conditions it would actually be similar to. At the same time, that's the mystery behind the madness in practicing in the middle of the day then come race day its dark.

The 22 could be good in these conditions, but come night time on race day can fall apart. Homestead is something that's right where it needs to be on the schedule, its really a great race track for the finale.

I wish they would practice later to simulate the conditions it would actually be similar to. At the same time, that's the mystery behind the madness in practicing in the middle of the day then come race day its dark.

The 22 could be good in these conditions, but come night time on race day can fall apart. Homestead is something that's right where it needs to be on the schedule, its really a great race track for the finale.
IMO the sunsets really make the venue spectacular

The first time Denny has been useful all year and folks are complaining :(
Take off your Kylie boxer shorts dude.You are blinded by your fandom.
Even as a Big E fan I could be objective.You really need to step back and try to see what 99.9 % of the rest of the world sees.

Michael Shank and AJ are probably already in talks to run in sports cars. AJ will be fine.lol

Todd Gordon and Logano came to race, so did Truex and Pearn.

The problem I see with the Gibbs move is say next year a 4 car team gets a car into the chase. So now they keep doing this same move until all cars are in. At some tracks it would be a huge advantage. I just don't see it as racing 100% as per the rules.

I hardly followed the sport this year compared to years gone by but no one should be surprised by the joe gibbs teams orders. Yeah it kinda sucks to see it but off all teams gibbs doesnt surprise me. Joe makes me feel the same way i did about jack rousch back in the day.

My last comment on Pit Stall-gate...

Marty Snider did a good job of forcing The Preacher to go "on the record" with his ridiculous rationalization about team orders. But then the Three Gerbils collectively dropped their pants and formed a circle to justify what Pious Joe had done. I was surprised and disappointed that Dale Jr. joined Burton and Letarte in claiming this was OK ethically and OK under the 100% rule. They compared it to teams sharing engineering data... ha ha.

Dudes, pit stall #1 is a competitive advantage that is won on the track. The Gerbils attempt to sugarcoat this team order leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Dale Jr. did say he expects a new rule on this next year. How he can think it isn't covered under the existing rule is beyond my comprehension.

I also blame Nascar for not stepping up to prevent this team order from happening. A stern warning from Steve Phelps to Gibbs is all it would have taken.

My last comment on Pit Stall-gate...

Marty Snider did a good job of forcing The Preacher to go "on the record" with his ridiculous rationalization about team orders. But then the Three Gerbils collectively dropped their pants and formed a circle to justify what Pious Joe had done. I was surprised and disappointed that Dale Jr. joined Burton and Letarte in claiming this was OK ethically and OK under the 100% rule. They compared it to teams sharing engineering data... ha ha.

Dudes, pit stall #1 is a competitive advantage that is won on the track. The Gerbils attempt to sugarcoat this team order leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Dale Jr. did say he expects a new rule on this next year. How he can think it isn't covered under the existing rule is beyond my comprehension.

I also blame Nascar for not stepping up to prevent this team order from happening. A stern warning from Steve Phelps to Gibbs is all it would have taken.
As much as my earlier post had me saying i didnt like the situation i have to agree also with the guys in the booth. It isnt actually breaking a rule. Its not cheating. All the 11 team has to say is that they like the #2 stall better. I know you could say thats nuts but if they said it theres nothing you could do about it. Ive also never like kyle busch or joe gibbs racing but theyd be crazy not to do everything they can to give the 18 car the best chance to win the title.

Credit to Hambone, who rightfully catches a lot of flack, for speaking his mind.

I'm not surprised by the decision at all, so I can't get as worked up about it as many are. It does stink. I wish NASCAR could have more a spine and simply use the "sole discretion" language to nix it. I agree with Hamlin that the move creates a bad precedent. Team orders are always going to be a presence in motorsports because the incentives are too great. It is the sanctioning body's job to step in, which they easily could have here.

In most ways there is less team manipulation in NASCAR than most other major series. The only place I see less of it is on dirt tracks, though it happens there too.

Credit to Hambone, who rightfully catches a lot of flack, for speaking his mind.

I'm not surprised by the decision at all, so I can't get as worked up about it as many are. It does stink. I wish NASCAR could have more a spine and simply use the "sole discretion" language to nix it. I agree with Hamlin that the move creates a bad precedent. Team orders are always going to be a presence in motorsports because the incentives are too great. It is the sanctioning body's job to step in, which they easily could have here.

In most ways there is less team manipulation in NASCAR than most other major series. The only place I see less of it is on dirt tracks, though it happens there too.

I'm sure they have something in their rule book against manipulating the racing which is what this is.

I'm sure they have something in their rule book against manipulating the racing which is what this is.

Yes, I agree. Lew posted the language of the 100% rule and it could apply if they wanted it to. Instead they seem to be taking the stance that the 100% rule doesn't apply because the race hasn't started. Apparently there is no 100% requirement in qualifying or pre-race? Who knows. NASCAR is making a mistake to not nip this in the bud now, because it will only grow. The infamous MWR manipulation in 2013 grew out of some lesser games that were played the year before by...JGR.

I don't know what stall the #11 team picked. A case could be made that whatever stall the team picked is the one they felt provided the best competitive advantage, especially if it's the first stall as you enter pit road.

Let the record show I'm not the one who's able to make that case. At least, not with a straight face.
Denny picked stall #4 which is where Truex won from last year. I see no wrong in that.
Kyle will let Denny win the race with himself second to win championship. Everyone at JGR wins. :D

After the race is over tomorrow, I think we will see that this made no difference in the outcome of the race.
I'm sure there will be some that no matter what happens will swear it didn't matter. But if it didn't matter we wouldn't be talking about it.

Back
Top Bottom