2018 Homestead -- Ford EcoBoost 400 -- Pre-Race Thread

DsPzsOCXcAEnAOr.jpg:large

I agree, other forms of racing allow it, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to hear the term team orders used to justify what is race manipulation.
Is it any different from the old practice of slowing to the caution to let a teammate back on the the lead lap? How does it differ from a restart where the inside car lets his outside line buddy pull down so they can run together? Hell, Daytona and Talladega are now based entirely on drivers looking for someone to help them.

I don't like this but if it's 'manipulation', it's not the only example. Like the others, it's NASCAR's call and they seem to be okay with it.

As to rules changes, are they going to mandate the pole winner take the first stall? What if the #11 and #18 had been 2nd and 3rd in Q? If Denny had left stall 4 open for Kyle, would we even be having this conversation?

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck
NASCAR has updated the schedule for tomorrow’s championship race. It will now go green a bit later: 3:20 p.m. Eastern time. (They didn’t say this, but I assume NBC wants to get race as close to finishing in prime time as possible.)
Funny, I'd think they'd want to finish before throwing their prime time schedule off or stepping on the affiliates' toes, esp. since this the end of the season and they won't be whetting anyone's appetite to tune in next week. But I know squat about TV scheduling.

Racing product & fans < TV ad revenue

Gross.
That's no different from any other sport. After about halfway through the college fooball season, TV starts moving the game start times by hours, not minutes.

I don't see how moving the start time 15 minutes affects the racing product. Geez, most races don't start until 15 or 20 after the hour anyway.

Is it any different from the old practice of slowing to the caution to let a teammate back on the the lead lap? How does it differ from a restart where the inside car lets his outside line buddy pull down so they can run together? Hell, Daytona and Talladega are now based entirely on drivers looking for someone to help them.

I don't like this but if it's 'manipulation', it's not the only example. Like the others, it's NASCAR's call and they seem to be okay with it.

As to rules changes, are they going to mandate the pole winner take the first stall? What if the #11 and #18 had been 2nd and 3rd in Q? If Denny had left stall 4 open for Kyle, would we even be having this conversation?

I'm sure you will figure it out.

I'm sure there will be some that no matter what happens will swear it didn't matter. But if it didn't matter we wouldn't be talking about it.
Some people wear blinders so they never get to look at the big picture.

^ yep, the big deal with #1 pit is that they can burn em off getting a staight shot out without any timing lines to worry about. With most of the passing done in the pits with this package, it is a big advantage.

I've been ready for years :)
You didn't get the trophy in '16, but you got Carl. There's that. Tell you what, you do not want the 78 behind you at the end. I never buy into this drama ****, but I truly believe if he gets a shot, he will take it. Other than having to outrun the 18 and the 4, you should be good.
Not unless you would have brought it up. This is the world in 2018. Blah, blah, blah.....Plus, some around here think KB has a shot, and they are laying a foundation for offseason bull****. Popcorn ready. Hope I need it.
Anybody remember the KB is a choker threads about his performance in the Playoffs. I do. Crickets.
Jesus what happened to Kevin's speed?
Are you seriously asking this? Spoiler. C'mon man.
Enjoying the crap about pit selections when we have a guy who yarded the field for 34 weeks, gets caught with an illegal spoiler, and all of a sudden is searching for speed. Are you all serious?
Some people wear blinders so they never get to look at the big picture.
Yep, and that big picture includes an interesting spoiler which really hasn't been discussed because of an obsession over the big picture which isn't.

Looking forward to a great race day. This is the first time we’ve done the full 3 day race weekend at Homestead and it’s been great. Pulling for Truex although Logano getting his first championship would be interesting. Hope Chase or Blaney wins. Would also be neat if Almirola won the race in his home state.

Just saying NO to KDB, and not particularly welcoming to Happy winning, but it will be whatever will be.

I see Alex Bowman is at the front of the Hendricks pack again this week. I would love to see him close out the season with a win in Miami. I will get my moneys worth today I will be watching two races in one. I have the hot dogs ready to go on the grill and my Pepsi is ice cold.:dpepsi::D

Whaaaaaat???

Yeah, Denny isn't racing for a title, his teammate is. Apparently, JGR places some importance on winning that title. Most of the outrage should probably be directed at the guys with the illegal spoiler.

Giving the 18 the first pit stall is wrong. They didn't earn it. The 18 team is in the final, not the entire Gibbs team. The idea that teammates can be used to affect an outcome is also wrong. The team tactic to change pit stalls might encourage the teammates of the other finalist to level the playing field during the race.

Lol that Sliced Bread promo - just wish he’d said “yeah, I pulled a d*ck move”.

Giving the 18 the first pit stall is wrong. They didn't earn it. The 18 team is in the final, not the entire Gibbs team. The idea that teammates can be used to affect an outcome is also wrong. The team tactic to change pit stalls might encourage the teammates of the other finalist to level the playing field during the race.
Do you think it would be ok for a team owner to move the crews around so that the team that is still in has the best crew they can get, or give them the fastest car in the shop even though it was built for another team?

I'm surprised anyone even cares about the pit stall nonsense. We already have a ridiculous format that decides the champion, does this pit stall nonsense really make it any more illegitimate than it already comes across?

This pit stall thing is so stupid. Every other form of motorsport that I am aware of inclusive of those forms much more popular than NASCAR doesn't give a **** about this. Finished watching Toyota win the Manufacturers Championship in WRC, and in driver interviews they openly talked about giving teammates preferred finishing order. Maybe NASCAR's problem is that it doesn't realize that they are no longer the country bumpkin series. If they want to be world class, maybe you start officiating it in a world class way. Sell the sport--not the rules--and maybe some fans come back.
I'm surprised anyone even cares about the pit stall nonsense. We already have a ridiculous format that decides the champion, does this pit stall nonsense really make it any more illegitimate than it already comes across?
We already have the dominate car running a completely illegal spoiler all year. Who cares about the format?
Most of the outrage should probably be directed at the guys with the illegal spoiler.
This....but remember there are no haters. These are objective assessments of rrrracin', and pit stalls are important to rrrracers. Laughable. Hope I am spending money tonight. You make sure if we get there that you don't take the last championship sweater. It's mine. I'm materialistic.
I agree. Denny should have lifted. No worries. They fixed it.

This pit stall thing is so stupid. Every other form of motorsport that I am aware of inclusive of those forms much more popular than NASCAR doesn't give a sh!t about this. Finished watching Toyota win the Manufacturers Championship in WRC, and in driver interviews they openly talked about giving teammates preferred finishing order. Maybe NASCAR's problem is that it doesn't realize that they are no longer the country bumpkin series. If they want to be world class, maybe you start officiating it in a world class way. Sell the sport--not the rules--and maybe some fans come back.
I don't want none of that "world class" bull**** where they order drivers to pull over to let their teammate win. This ain't F1, chief. Tell me who the hell is going to be inspired to watch racing where they pull stunts like this:
"The agreement was that the cars could race until the last pit stop and actually the two cars joined (came together) at the last pit stop," Vasselon told Motorsport.

"We told the drivers they could race only to the last pit stop because we did not want to have the last laps with a lot of tension."
http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...tentially-orchestrated-alonsos-wec-win-at-spa
We already have the dominate car running a completely illegal spoiler all year. Who cares about the format?
All year, so why did it conform to the CAD file until Texas? Or did NASCAR not bother looking after any of the other wins?

All year, so why did it conform to the CAD file until Texas? Or did NASCAR not bother looking after any of the other wins?

Widely suggested that it was something NASCAR wasn't looking at.

It’s The Ford Homestead Miami Bowl Sunday. Get amped

It’s The Ford Homestead Miami Bowl Sunday. Get amped
I get you don't like it. I couldn't care less about the format. I love this sport, and I am going to miss these Sundays for the next three months. Love it so much that I have booked by races for next year already--tickets, hotel, flights....everything. Love it. Can't get enough.
And no one else either. No one is rushing to the remotes to flip on F1 or WEC in this country.
"....in this country....".....WRC viewership and attendance up. Fans like it. Post on boards their enjoyment and love of the sport. Imagine that....Guess what?....I don't even know how they tech the cars. How could I like that?

I don't want none of that "world class" bull**** where they order drivers to pull over to let their teammate win. This ain't F1, chief. Tell me who the hell is going to be inspired to watch racing where they pull stunts like this:

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...tentially-orchestrated-alonsos-wec-win-at-spa

Yep and that is all we are going to hear about is weasel Joe. They will show they edited interview of his weaseling, no backbone, bottom feeding, no class explanation, that even his own drivers don't agree with. Network cool aid drinkers, Jarrett, LeTarte, and Burton will tell us how great it is and we are supposed to swallow it hook line and sinker.

A winless driver gives a title contender the best pit stall ? Sounds perfectly acceptable to me

Seriously? KB didn't earn that spot, Hamlin and his team did. It's not fair to the other drivers. Just for that I hope the 18 blows a tire and smacks the wall.

Back
Top Bottom