2018 NASCAR Truck Thread

I wonder if this is true :idunno:

“I’d love to race in NASCAR,” Berryhill said. “I’ve always had my own team but it’s tough to do that and be competitive. I think the new truck engine is really encouraging for teams like mine where you can buy an engine and not have to lease something every weekend so you can be competitive. I know there’s a lot more to it than that—the handling, the bodies and all of that is still hard to get right. But that takes one of the variables out.

https://www.motorsport.com/midget/n...-bring-tanner-berryhill-back-to-tulsa-995531/

https://www.ilmor.com/Racing/NASCAR

one thing about it. He has been buying rides with the good ones. Goes from Thorsport where he was mediocre to GMS. Have money will travel. With Bell gone I don't see any hot shoe running away with it in the trucks this year. Sauter might be able to drive another GMS truck to the Championship.

one thing about it. He has been buying rides with the good ones. Goes from Thorsport where he was mediocre to GMS. Have money will travel. With Bell gone I don't see any hot shoe running away with it in the trucks this year. Sauter might be able to drive another GMS truck to the Championship.

Crafton has been consistent, but he has not been knocking on the door as hard for a championship. I wonder if he can and Thorsport can take that crown again. Then again, it shows the importance of having two vets in the team when Sister was there.

I've heard ThorSport parted ways with TRD, are they moving to Ford or Chevy?

it hasnt even been 24 hours since the news about them parting from toyota...im sure we will hear soon enough

I'm kind of surprised ThorSport is parting ways with Toyota, you'd think with two championships, 19 wins, 117 top fives, 227 top 10s & 10 poles, they'd continue the business relationship.

I'm kind of surprised ThorSport is parting ways with Toyota, you'd think with two championships, 19 wins, 117 top fives, 227 top 10s & 10 poles, they'd continue the business relationship.
They werent the "flagship" toyota team so that could very wel be a reason why, possibly if they go to ford they will be?

Todd gilliland confirmed for the #4 KBm when he turns 18.....his Dad David gilliland is driving it at Daytona (very interesting there)

They werent the "flagship" toyota team so that could very wel be a reason why, possibly if they go to ford they will be?

Nothing to do with that. This is NASCAR's move to force manufacturers out with the spec motor. They will pump up the power, lower the price, and force the only manufacturer actually committed to this series out. Matter of time for KBM unless Toyota offsets costs which they can and will, but when NASCAR ratchets up the power in their little bastard motor, it will be lights out. NASCAR made its bed. Good luck.

Toyota will stay in Trucks. David Wilson indicated yesterday on NASCAR Radio that if a spec motor has to be under the hood of a Tundra, we will be okay. Frankly, I am shocked by this development, but it makes sense from the perspective of Toyota's Driver Development Program. David feels that a jump from K&N, etc. to Xfinity is too large. TRD has no choice but to accept the inevitable if it wants continuity for the Development Program. I HATE THIS. HATE. HATE. HATE.....but it is what it is. One more year in Trucks, and Toyota exits from the motor perspective. Hello IROC. A Tundra isn't a Tundra with an Illmor under the hood. I will never accept this. It will be very difficult for me to accept any Tundra winning with a Illmor a Toyota victory. On the bright side, this proves Toyota's commitment to the good of this sport, and makes anybody who feels that it is trying to buy any series look very stupid.

Should be interesting if the teams on board first with the new engine will overpower the ones that lag behind.

Should be interesting if the teams on board first with the new engine will overpower the ones that lag behind.

There is no need for the NASCAR Illmors to blow the Toyotas away given that Toyota motor will be gone in 2019. I am sure that there has been a handshake somewhere throwing Toyota a bone--especially since they will not leave altogether. IMO the plus side of this is that KBM will not be between a rock and a hard place in 2019. This keeps Kyle Busch in the Toyota family for the rest of his career IMO. Is this worth it to me? Yup--and that's saying something given how much I hate this. I will not be like other jack nuts who spew the "I won't watch" crap, but it will be tough. The thing that is perplexing to me is why the hell Thorsport bailed.....wondering if they needed immediate cost relief.....

Probably the same reason Barney bailed from Chevy. Thorsport would rather be #1 with Ford than second string with the Yotas.

Despite spec engine, Toyota committed to Truck Series
"By the same token we understand the bigger picture. We have been working with NASCAR, all the (manufacturers) have been working with NASCAR to make sure that we keep this series going because here's the bottom line - while our motivation to run in Trucks has changed over the years, it remains an absolute critical step in how we as an industry develop drivers.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/trucks/2...ite-spec-engine-toyota-committed-truck-series

Probably the same reason Barney bailed from Chevy. Thorsport would rather be #1 with Ford than second string with the Yotas.

What the hell difference does it make with the spec engine? My guess is that Thorsport is hurting for money now, and can't wait until next year. Not sure why they can't go spec right now.

Last edited:
while our motivation to run in Trucks has changed over the years,

Changed from developing IP to maintaining a step in the Driver Development process. Without the Development program, Toyota would be gone from Trucks IMO. I get it, but it makes me puke. A Tundra with an Illmor under the hood. Makes me cringe.

I think that NASCAR opened the books, and everybody realized that something drastic needed to be done, or the trucks would be history. Again, for all of those who anticipated that Toyota would drive costs, and destroy NASCAR, you look stupid. I am certain that all of this makes David vomit in his mouth just a little bit, but it is for the greater good I guess.

Honestly, this is the first tangible evidence that NASCAR is struggling. I have been hesitant to accept its demise due to the way the stands look and ratings. My mind might be changing. This is a huge concession for TRD and Toyota. HUGE.

Last edited:
Probably need to pay more attention. Nascar has been cutting costs for awhile now in all of the series.

Probably need to pay more attention. Nascar has been cutting costs for awhile now in all of the series.

Yeah, I only casually follow this stuff. Spend most of my days scrapbooking.

I wish Sargeant stayed with Ford and ended up with Thor instead of GMS

So now that Cunningham Ford team that was bought by Crosley are going to be Toyotas

Back
Top Bottom