2019 All Star Format

sounds like they are trying a different balance for the car. Curious about the splitter myself, I always thought like the first edition of the COT the wrap around part was a tire cutter.

I wound add a stage 4. After stage 3 the pace leads them to the dirt track for stage 4.
Or, its always been said NASCAR is a team sport, so lets get the team involved and the final stage consist the teams packing up and heading back to the shop, first team that does one complete lap in the hauler wins the ASR

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 17, 2019) – Race fans looking for a glimpse into the future need look no further than this year’s Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race. As demonstrated throughout its illustrious history, NASCAR’s annual all-star spectacular will again provide the platform for the world’s greatest stock car drivers to compete for $1 million dollars, while race teams will get a real-world experience with technical components that could be implemented in the next generation car.

The next step in the all-star evolution was unveiled today.

NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway announced the format and technical specifications for the 2019 edition, a race that will feature some tried and true measures, as well as a potential glimpse into the Gen-7 future.

"Throughout its history, the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race has provided a platform to try new and innovative ideas, some of which we have incorporated on a full-time basis," said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. "Last year’s all-star rules package resulted in one of the most exciting all-star races in history. With a similar package, and added elements that we could see in the next generation race car, we expect another must-watch event."

"This will be the 35th running of the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race, and while it’s known for memorable moments, this race has established a place in history for testing what’s best for the future," said Marcus Smith, president and CEO of Speedway Motorsports Inc. "THIS is the proving ground. Fans can always look back and see that night racing, stage racing and double-file restarts started in the All-Star Race. And last year’s rules package produced the most three- and four-wide racing I’ve ever seen at Charlotte. This year may provide a peek into the crystal ball for the Gen-7 car, so once again, fans can expect the unexpected."

The race will again have four stages, with a five lap increase in the final stage compared to last year’s race. The stages will last 30 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps and 15 laps. Both green flag and yellow flag laps will count in Stages 1-3; with only green flag laps counting in the Final Stage. NASCAR Overtime rules will be in effect for Stages 1-3. In the final stage, if the race is restarted with two or less laps remaining, there will be unlimited attempts at a green, white, checkered finish under green flag conditions.

For the 2019 edition, the race cars will feature two keys technical elements that NASCAR may incorporate into the Gen-7 car slated to debut in 2021.

The first is single-piece carbon fiber splitter/pan that should offer dramatic improvements in ride height sensitivity for the drivers. This technical component will provide a more stable aero platform and create more consistent performance in traffic. Also, the car will be configured with a radiator duct which exits through the hood as opposed to the current design which exits into the engine compartment. This feature will create improved aerodynamic parity and, at the same time, reduce engine temperatures.

The Monster Energy Open will occur Saturday evening prior to the Monster Energy All-Star Race and will include three segments (20 laps / 20 Laps / 10 laps). The winner of each segment will earn a spot in the All-Star Race.

Those eligible for the Monster Energy All-Star Race include: drivers who won a points event in either 2018 or 2019; drivers who won a Monster Energy All-Star Race and compete full-time; and drivers who won a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship and compete fulltime. Those who have not already earned a spot via the above criteria can still lock-in by winning a stage in the Monster Energy Open or by winning the Fan Vote. Polls for the fan vote are open now on NASCAR.com.

Drivers who have already clinch an All-Star Race spot: Aric Almirola, Ryan Blaney, Clint Bowyer, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Austin Dillon, Chase Elliott, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Erik Jones, Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano, Ryan Newman and Martin Truex Jr.

one piece standard part splitter pan to reduce aero tweaking. More consistent performance in traffic eh? and a new cooling duct for the radiator, probably another standard part. Those don't seem like much but at 150 to 180 or so who knows. They are looking at that duct for a potential change for the Gen 7 car so it must work pretty good for aero. I think it's going to be interesting and wonder if a person will be able to tell the changes or not. KDB will say the cars suck if he doesn't win, Larson will mumble, Chase will be non committal, and whoever wins the million bucks will think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

A test is a really good place to test something too. :D
Well look at this way, you are gonna have a larger data base of info with everyone paticipationg instead of a few. You eliminate a possible travel date which is very expensive or even if you did a week day Charlotte test you still are spending time and resources that would already be incorporated during the All Star event. Real world testing beats sending 4 or 5 cars out. ;)

With the season finale supposedly going to be on a rotational basis, why not do the same for the All-Star race? Keep it semi-local and rotate between Charlotte, Darlington, Richmond, Bristol.

Keep this race as a "test" package and use all 4 tracks (including Charlotte roval) within 5 years to help determine the next generation of cars & packages. This means racing on 2 intermediate tracks, 2 short tracks, and 1 road course which are all unique, so it would provide a good baseline for what a future package should be. Add to that the pre-season Clash (should also be a "test" race) and now you have all 4 track types where packages can be tested during a race over a 5-year span.

I may be biased but I think that sounds like a damn good idea.

Well look at this way, you are gonna have a larger data base of info with everyone paticipationg instead of a few. You eliminate a possible travel date which is very expensive or even if you did a week day Charlotte test you still are spending time and resources that would already be incorporated during the All Star event. Real world testing beats sending 4 or 5 cars out. ;)

I hear you, but a couple of things....1) Teams are spending a lot of money on rule changes, and 2) I think the learning curve for young drivers is pretty steep when everything is in-race.....Use the All Star Race for confirmation, and let's give the kids some seat time.

All-Star Race should be BYOB

and let them adjust their blades during the race

Well, apparently Gen 7 still has a splitter at this point. I'm way less optimistic now. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Donnell say last year that the splitter would be gone?

Well, apparently Gen 7 still has a splitter at this point. I'm way less optimistic now. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Donnell say last year that the splitter would be gone?
I think he has said both that he personally would not want it and that IF they could get rid of it, they would, but NASCAR's research prefers a splitter over a traditional valance. I think this is not unrelated to the X-3 car they've tested in the past, where they came across one combination where the splitter contributed ~10% of the car's total downforce versus ~25% on whatever year of Cup car they were comparing to. I think it was 2015 or 2016. So in dirty air there'd be less aero sensitivity, at least on the front end.

Run stock bodied cars, bias ply tires, two 20 lap heats, one 100 lap feature. everybody makes the feature based on heat finishes. competition caution with 10 to go. Past winners and champions star in the rear of the main. Drop the green, let her rip tater chip.

I think he has said both that he personally would not want it and that IF they could get rid of it, they would, but NASCAR's research prefers a splitter over a traditional valance. I think this is not unrelated to the X-3 car they've tested in the past, where they came across one combination where the splitter contributed ~10% of the car's total downforce versus ~25% on whatever year of Cup car they were comparing to. I think it was 2015 or 2016. So in dirty air there'd be less aero sensitivity, at least on the front end.

I’ll tell you what talking to mechanical engineers at work there is no way the splitter will be gone. Not a chance, it’s so efficient at reducing air going under the car as well as dispersing it to the side

Back
Top Bottom