2019 Auto Club Speedway --Auto Club 400 -- Pre-Race Thread

I saw so many Labonte wins at Atlanta that I can't tell you if I was there for this one or not. Is this the one that was held on a Monday because it rained Sunday? If so, then I was indeed there for this one.
I could not remember so I looked it up. The fall race was delayed until Monday. This was the spring or winter race. Seemed like years back Atlanta could not get a break weather wise. This was my most memorable.
636574221698344185-atlanta-haulers.jpg

I could not remember so I looked it up. The fall race was delayed until Monday. This was the spring or winter race. Seemed like years back Atlanta could not get a break weather wise. This was my most memorable.
A snow tire Cup race in Atlanta would be an awesome event.:D

The races at California the last few years have been pretty good. I hope this new package doesn't screw that up.

I've been a huge fan of Auto Club Speedway since I was there for the 2013 showdown, but the fact that the track is way out in Fontucky / an Inland Empire trashhole doesn't help the facility. Wish it was in Orange County or San Diego County.

As a former IE trashhole, I love that dirt! :p

Blizzard of 1993 did not play around

Even with the ducts I think it'll be not unlike Atlanta. Packed closer together for shortly after the start and restarts and then handling and tire wear will factor in and spread the field out.

Even with the ducts I think it'll be not unlike Atlanta. Packed closer together for shortly after the start and restarts and then handling and tire wear will factor in and spread the field out.
pretty close, but the track is wider so I think they will be able to run more lines to fit their setups.

We have a wide 2 mile track with sweeping turns. I'd imagine drivers and teams will be pushing their cars to the limit and seeing how far they can take the package. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 4 (or even 5) wide battles for positions.

As a former IE trashhole, I love that dirt! :p

Would be much better in Escondido/Valley Center area or El Cajon, maybe even Temecula or Murrietta since it's a close distance between both LA and San Diego metro.

That was amazing.

Harvick had quoted that Johnson "had a golden horseshoe stuck up their ass" the year prior year after he finished runner up to Johnson twice in less than a month. In the post race interview after this race, Johnson quoted "I can have my golden horseshoe back."

To put into perspective how good of a driver Harvick is, he spent his first 12 years in RCR @ the cup level. During his stint at RCR the organization as a whole compiled 30 wins (w/ 4 Burton, 3 R. Gordon). Harvick had 23 of those victories. We've all known RCR has been on the decline since the death of Dale Earnhardt. Harvick hept that team afloat.

Would be much better in Escondido/Valley Center area or El Cajon, maybe even Temecula or Murrietta since it's a close distance between both LA and San Diego metro.

Murr/Tmec would be expensive and I think traffic would be a nightmare anywhere in South Riverside County/North SD County. I would love a track in the areas you mentioned though. About a 20 minute huck from my house

Harvick had quoted that Johnson "had a golden horseshoe stuck up their ass" the year prior year after he finished runner up to Johnson twice in less than a month. In the post race interview after this race, Johnson quoted "I can have my golden horseshoe back."

To put into perspective how good of a driver Harvick is, he spent his first 12 years in RCR @ the cup level. During his stint at RCR the organization as a whole compiled 30 wins (w/ 4 Burton, 3 R. Gordon). Harvick had 23 of those victories. We've all known RCR has been on the decline since the death of Dale Earnhardt. Harvick hept that team afloat.

He was loyal for far too long. Imagine if he had left in 2006!

Murr/Tmec would be expensive and I think traffic would be a nightmare anywhere in South Riverside County/North SD County. I would love a track in the areas you mentioned though. About a 20 minute huck from my house
I thought this track was in Ft. Worth? :blink:

Nice to see the Chevy's in the top 10, but those top speeds...blech!

I'm sure the Chevy's won't handle for **** come race day though.

Chevy that strong or are the Fords sand bagging? hmmmm
I confess I've never understood why anyone would sandbag during practice any more. What's the benefit? I could see it back in the days when NASCAR would change the spoiler height for each manufacturer every third race or so, but now?

I confess I've never understood why anyone would sandbag during practice any more. What's the benefit? I could see it back in the days when NASCAR would change the spoiler height for each manufacturer every third race or so, but now?
Sandbagging today could be team cars not drafting together, making a run and not taping off etc....

Sandbagging today could be team cars not drafting together, making a run and not taping off etc....
I understand how they could be doing it, but why practice in anything other than the configuration you'd qualify or race in? What's to gain by having the other teams think you're slower? And how would you really know what the car is capable of, esp. the first time at a track in a new config?

I understand how they could be doing it, but why practice in anything other than the configuration you'd qualify or race in? What's to gain by having the other teams think you're slower? And how would you really know what the car is capable of, esp. the first time at a track in a new config?
Track position is critical more then ever now so if you know you still have a couple tenths in the bank and maybe get your competition feeling good where they dont make many changes it could pay off.

Harvick really did well with his magic spoiler ... until he got caught. The bully shouldn't be racing this year after that little display. But Burton and R Gordon ? pretty lame drivers imo

I would love to go to California Speedway someday to watch a race with the awesome mountain backdrop. That's one thing I enjoyed about Dega was the nice scenery around the track.

I would love to go to California Speedway someday to watch a race with the awesome mountain backdrop. That's one thing I enjoyed about Dega was the nice scenery around the track.
I want to watch a Phoenix race from Rattlesnake Hill. It probably isn't the best view of the track, and I'm not normally big on doing things just to say I did, but I want to do it anyway. I could toss in a couple birding days in the Huachuca mountains in the same trip.

Guess he's done. Those tires are smoked. Great start to the weekend.

I didn't think the 9 would be allowed to change tires? Anyone know the rule on that?

God this qualifying format is so dumb.

Dillon seems to have speed this year, just can't capitalize.

DW is off the NASCAR Reservation -- he's all but calling this BS

Thanks DW!

Back
Top Bottom