2019 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

I hope Sato can make a run at the championship this season. His craziness has kept him from coming close to a championship so far.
Already looking forward to tomorrow's race (likely gonna watch it on Monday, though) and of course the K&N race at Memphis tonight.
And I still gotta watch the second half of the Coke 600, gonna be a long night today.:)
What time/channel will the K&N race be on?

I know. I am going to ease up on Marcos driving ability in the future. That was great
onboard viewing. Whoever called that strategy in his pits really botched it bad.

Dude that onboard was wild. It was even able to catch my brothers(someone who couldn't give less of a **** about pro motorsports) attention for a lap. I was stoked lol

I know. I am going to ease up on Marcos driving ability in the future. That was great
onboard viewing. Whoever called that strategy in his pits really botched it bad.
Unfortunately it was the result of incompetence on IndyCar's part. I know it's 'only' his second year, but Kyle Novak continues to show he's no better than Brian Barnhart - and that's a guy who once went green in the rain on an oval. A week after citing 'procedure' for the lengthy yellow after the red in the 500 last week (someone did a deep dive and found a bylaws that actually would've allowed them to reduce the time spent under yellow) they then break procedure by just opening the pits 'for the fans'.

Why Marco Andretti's show-stealing gamble in Detroit didn't pay off: 'We got hosed'
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2019/06/01/indycar-why-marco-andrettis-gamble-detroit-didnt-pay-off/1287495001/

They need to figure out a proper procedure rather than just making it up as they go. This type of situation has become what at least half the races hinge on.
In this case, they just ignored their own procedure. Quite literally, they skipped packing up the cars and doing an initial caution lap behind the safety car. Pretty crazy.

It shouldn't be that hard to implement a VSC or Code 60 type of thing on road courses and street circuits to minimize these situations, but America in general is obsessed with pack-ups and restarts.

Barnhart wasn't bad in his second stint as race director, Beaux Barfield was decent and seems to be doing fine in IMSA. But it's too bad they're more miss than hit through years when it comes to this stuff. They get in their own way too much.

Reactions: JW1
Beaux Barfield was decent and seems to be doing fine in IMSA.

Barfield got sick of Indycar politics and being second guessed all the time. He was right to leave and go where he is respected and appreciated.

Detroit has always been a ****hole event. The place used to be so infested with rats that you had damm well better get out of there before dark. The roads were in horrible shape and it just wasn't a racy place. Thankfully Penske knows we need to be in Detroit, so he poured a lot of money into the place not only cleaning it up, but changing the circuit to be a better place to race. I used to hate this track, but the last few races, plus the dual format, have been so good that I've kind of changed my mind and now I look forward to it.

Oh no. Marco in a wreck again? Pagenaud and Power, too? Ouch!!

I'm not rooting against Power, but unless I'm mistaken, it looked like his impatience and not holding the inside line started that whole kerfuffle.
Yeah, that was a dive from way back with not much room to the inside.

Three-wide a few rows deep through turn 1 isn't going to work very often.

I know some of the guys on here have mentioned Rossi going to Penske next year. I sure hope not.

I like Penske. I like all of his drivers. But I hope he stays with Andretti. I like the Andrettis. He kinda evens out the top teams. Penske has three good drivers. Andretti has Rossi. Ganasi has Dixon.

If you take Rossi away from the Andretti team, it drops down to Hunter Reay being their best driver. And I don't think he's a Dixon or a Power or a Pagenaud or a Newgarden. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just like him with Andretti. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm watching from behind now and just got to the Rossi / Hinchcliffe / Newgarden incident. The booth is convinced that Rossi did a "brilliant job" but he was out of control and sliding as well. Both he and Newgarden came in way too hot.

I'm watching from behind now and just got to the Rossi / Hinchcliffe / Newgarden incident. The booth is convinced that Rossi did a "brilliant job" but he was out of control and sliding as well. Both he and Newgarden came in way too hot.
Picked up a lot of crap taking that inside line up the straight I think. Didn't like how Hinch merged directly across traffic but that's part of the game I guess.

Those Corvette pace cars they had at Indy are awesome!!

This is at least the third time this has happened across NBC's new packages...St. Pete IndyCar, Mid-Ohio IMSA...really just inexcusable to keep trotting out a crap product.

Boy!! It's hard to get the lead away from Dixon in a situation like this.

I swear that #10 car is cursed since Dario's incident. Rosenqvist is not nearly as bad as he looks, it makes no sense.

I still think it's dumb Detroit has 2 races. I guess IndyCar has to do whatever to get more races and attendance

I still think it's dumb Detroit has 2 races. I guess IndyCar has to do whatever to get more races and attendance
GM and Penske Corp. milk this thing for all it's worth. My opinion on the event itself is in flux a lot. Both the racing and the weather seem to be very hit-or-miss.

I think it would've been good if Newgarden and Hinchcliffe didn't take each other out. They would've had a good battle with Rossi that probably would've made things more interesting towards the end.

I swear that #10 car is cursed since Dario's incident. Rosenqvist is not nearly as bad as he looks, it makes no sense.

That Gran Prix at Indianapolis is kind of a waste, too. I've gone to every one, but I think this year was my last Gran Prix. I did have a great time at the 500 though.

GM and Penske Corp. milk this thing for all it's worth. My opinion on the event itself is in flux a lot. Both the racing and the weather seem to be very hit-or-miss.

I think it would've been good if Newgarden and Hinchcliffe didn't take each other out. They would've had a good battle with Rossi that probably would've made things more interesting towards the end.

Yeah I guess weather has a lot do with it. It's a better track than Long Beach but not the same atmosphere. Attendance looked solid today, meh yesterday but it was stormy.

I'm too much of a NASCAR fan but maybe I should have watched the full race on an app instead of tuning in with 20 to go.

It was an interesting weekend, to say the least. Races like these are more fun to enjoy if you accept that you're not going to understand what's going on half the time and find intrigue in some degree of carnage and strategy. I hope the swing towards more true road courses beginning with Road America is more straightforward, like last year. Good opportunity being on NBC as well.

From wrecked to winning. Gotta love it.

Idk why NBC lost the broadcast. Not the first time that has happened. Unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom