2019 Darlington -- Bojangles Southern 500 Night Race -- Pre-Race Thread

I have a drawer full of those, probably no where near as many as you do.
You probably have more. I missed a lot of years when I went late Model racing and when I came back I was working in the sport. That one is my favorite though. I was at the one Bobby won in 75 in the Matador that got his face placed on the 76 ticket.

Ware putting BJ, Yeley, and Smithley in their cars? Much better than Weatherman & Bilicki.

It’s only Monday and I’m stoked for Darlington.

Well, DJ, it's a great photo but it wasn't taken at Darlington. Those grandstands are all wrong and there's no grass adjacent to the racing surface.
I vaguely remember that photo as it was being taken pretty sure it was a pre race segment and highlighted the Coca Cola Family/Racing team. Wanna say it’s at Michigan

My absolute favorite race on the calendar...like Barney Hall said in one of the NASCAR Thunder games...”The Great Southern Tradition...The Southern 500.” One is the most tradition packed races and tracks on the circuit. Still wish they had that overhang that covered the grandstand though

I remember the echo that came from that grandstand

Last edited:
What does the weather look like?
NHC forecasts TS Dorian to achieve major hurricane status by Sunday morning, north of the Bahamas. Based solely on my own experience with tropical storms in SC, Darlington is well within range to get rain from a CAT 3 that (relatively) close. NHS also calls for Dorian to still be off the FL coast Monday AM, putting Monday in jeopardy too.

So we’re not racing this weekend lol
I'll just say I'm calling my boss this afternoon and asking for Tuesday off. NASCAR is fortunate this track is so close to Charlotte, although the turn-around will still be a b!tch.

Of course, I have no objection to this being the season finale. :):):) Turkey dinner at The Lady.

NHC forecasts TS Dorian to achieve major hurricane status by Sunday morning, north of the Bahamas. Based solely on my own experience with tropical storms in SC, Darlington is well within range to get rain from a CAT 3 that (relatively) close. NHS also calls for Dorian to still be off the FL coast Monday AM, putting Monday in jeopardy too.

The models are in agreement tonight on a Monday landfall on the east coast of Florida. Shouldn’t impact the race at all but it depends on how big the rain field is. It’s possible Nascar might move the green flag up a bit if rain is approaching - like you said, Monday wound likely be worse.

But really all depends on how wide that rain is.

The models are in agreement tonight on a Monday landfall on the east coast of Florida. Shouldn’t impact the race at all but it depends on how big the rain field is. It’s possible Nascar might move the green flag up a bit if rain is approaching - like you said, Monday wound likely be worse.

But really all depends on how wide that rain is.
We will be racing sunday night! The shill says so,and the amature meteorologist! ;)

Back
Top Bottom