2020 GEICO 500 Pre-Race Thread

Get That 88 Up There !!

Love United Hate Glazer
Back to the Superspeedways this weekend as we see Talladega have its first summer date since 1996.
3D95B7AC-957D-4AEF-B69F-264C35D5DE8B.jpeg

Saturday
ARCA - 2:00 PM (FS1)
Xfinity - 5:30 PM (FS1)
Sunday
Cup - 3:00 PM (FOX)

I was about to say, this has to be the latest “spring race” for Dega since the 90’s, probably will be HOT for these fellas

Can't wait to hear about how much plate racing is hated by the end of this weekend.

*Sighs*

Just wait until Pocono. Then you will definitely have something to complain about.

Didn't you know? True intellectuals hate plate racing :rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear about how much plate racing is hated by the end of this weekend.

*Sighs*

Just wait until Pocono. Then you will definitely have something to complain about.
It's not that I hate plate racing. I used to really look forward to it. But that started to change when every race there was 1, 2 or even 3 big ones. For the most part the driver has no control over being wrecked right down to the last couple hundred feet. If these races could be run without the mass carnage, I am sure my excitement for them would return. That all be said, I do enjoy how the can equalize the field and give some of the underfunded teams a chance to win.

It's not that I hate plate racing. I used to really look forward to it. But that started to change when every race there was 1, 2 or even 3 big ones. For the most part the driver has no control over being wrecked right down to the last couple hundred feet. If these races could be run without the mass carnage, I am sure my excitement for them would return. That all be said, I do enjoy how the can equalize the field and give some of the underfunded teams a chance to win.

I mean, there's plenty of talent involved in not getting involved in those wrecks. There's a reason guys like Joey, Newman and Kurt rarely DNF here.

it started to change? 37 cars wrecked on the first lap at Daytona in 1960..nope there wasn't restrictor plates. :laugh: They, the Super Speedways, have been since the very beginning, crowd pleasers and stands fillers. People love the element of danger involved and the Super Speedways produce edge of your seat spectating. Sure the so called "purists" thumb their noses up at the unholy spectacle, but their happy asses will be watching. ;)

it started to change? 37 cars wrecked on the first lap at Daytona in 1960..nope there wasn't restrictor plates. :laugh: They, the Super Speedways, have been since the very beginning, crowd pleasers and stands fillers. People love the element of danger involved and the Super Speedways produce edge of your seat spectating. Sure the so called "purists" thumb their noses up at the unholy spectacle, but their happy asses will be watching. ;)
OK, so what exactly started to change was having a big one every restrictor plate race. I went to Daytona and Talladega in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There were plenty of races run without crashing 20 cars. One great example is Earnhardt's famous run at Talladega. I don't see how that could happen today.
I have family coming this weekend and we will he doing something, but I am sure we will not be watching the race and I won't feel like I am missing something...unless Blaney wins!

OK, so what exactly started to change was having a big one every restrictor plate race. I went to Daytona and Talladega in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There were plenty of races run without crashing 20 cars. One great example is Earnhardt's famous run at Talladega. I don't see how that could happen today.
I have family coming this weekend and we will he doing something, but I am sure we will not be watching the race and I won't feel like I am missing something...unless Blaney wins!
you'll be watching ;)

Only way I can explain the jump in attendance is that some who never watch another race tune in to see what happens with the big one

Engineering, especially aerodynamically has improved immensely. These things are damn missiles through the air out there. Car designs are similar helping for a better stream of air which aids closer drafting. Few teams, instead of a bunch of 1-2 car teams the sport is full of 3-4 car teams so more people running with same stuff.

Let’s not forget the impact of double file restarts. This was introduced only in 2009 and causes the log jams on the super speedways that help the big one mightily. Often before then things would be quite single file with the reduced HP which kept the wrecks down

Not a big fan of his, but cool:

He doesn’t have to run the ARCA race the day before? He doesn’t have the cleanest reputation already and the Indy 500 and USAC is a fair bit different from Talladega as far as oval experience goes.

The Valvoline scheme the 88 is running this weekend. I am in love :wub::wub::wub:, you can take the new wave paint schemes with the door number misplaced. I'll still take these 100/100, ever since Jr ran the Valvoline colors they always look sharp on the 88
Eau-jSIWAAAZkAe.jpg

The Valvoline scheme the 88 is running this weekend. I am in love :wub::wub::wub:, you can take the new wave paint schemes with the door number misplaced. I'll still take these 100/100, ever since Jr ran the Valvoline colors they always look sharp on the 88View attachment 47397
That is a nice looking car and it should standout and be pretty easy to find on the track. I really liked last weeks wrap but I had trouble locating it a few times. As far as the number I can take it either place.

That is a nice looking car and it should standout and be pretty easy to find on the track. I really liked last weeks wrap but I had trouble locating it a few times. As far as the number I can take it either place.
yea the Valvoline cars have been beautiful rides the last few years. Cant wait to see it on Sunday

I just ordered this.
This race makes me think of Danica

Attachments

• E4222F0E-3D62-49DB-9292-87C3A8481B70.png
    E4222F0E-3D62-49DB-9292-87C3A8481B70.png
    2 MB · Views: 125
The Valvoline scheme the 88 is running this weekend. I am in love :wub::wub::wub:, you can take the new wave paint schemes with the door number misplaced. I'll still take these 100/100, ever since Jr ran the Valvoline colors they always look sharp on the 88View attachment 47397
This scheme and all its variations have long been my favorite colors. I have no proof but I think it's been run by more drivers on more cars in more series than any other.

Back
Top Bottom