2020 GEICO 500 Pre-Race Thread

Are we operating under the assumption that NASCAR cannot bring a clause to broadcast networks similar to “postponed races are scheduled to start as early in the day as possible to grant more time to run the race the following day, if the weather does not cooperate on the day of postponement regular programming can run until the track is ready to race on”?

The thread created due to last night's unfortunate news about was found in the 43 garage didnt even last my commute into work today. Something must have happened in that thread.

The thread created due to last night's unfortunate news about was found in the 43 garage didnt even last my commute into work today. Something must have happened in that thread.
Was it moved to the Podium? I was just trying to get back into it, and can't access it either. I came here to question this.

I doubt it would be closed. This doesn't seem like the topic to shut down right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can only imagine that the comments got pretty ugly causing the thread to get moved to the podium.

You want to talk to the TV networks?

Fox and Comcast (NBC) want this, NASCAR hands are tied at this point. It would be great, but the broadcasters are paying a lot of money for all audiences to see these races.
Curious as to what is better for the network. A rainout at 2:00 and airing rebroadcast of last years race or a live broadcast of the race at 10:00 am?

Something about Democrats and Republicans I assume

You want to talk to the TV networks?

Fox and Comcast (NBC) want this, NASCAR hands are tied at this point. It would be great, but the broadcasters are paying a lot of money for all audiences to see these races.
Sure wish they would. The constant whining and blaming the wrong people who are not responsible has moved into trolling by irritation realm IMO.

Are we operating under the assumption that NASCAR cannot bring a clause to broadcast networks similar to “postponed races are scheduled to start as early in the day as possible to grant more time to run the race the following day, if the weather does not cooperate on the day of postponement regular programming can run until the track is ready to race on”?
Yes. We are operating on the assumption that the networks are 800 lb gorillas, and that such a clause would either result in a smaller contract, or a contract with a smaller network that some cable systems may not carry, or both.

There's a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms here in Chicago today.

If I can't watch the race sitting out on my deck I think they should postpone the race until tomorrow when the weather's better. :cool:
its really humid here today lol I hate this weather. Trying to get done with work early so I can grill some ribs and chicken while I listen to the race on my phone sync'd to my IPad . If things hold I might not get home till the last stage and if thats the case I need some help with that Bama weather so I can at least watch 2 stages.

There's a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms here in Chicago today.

If I can't watch the race sitting out on my deck I think they should postpone the race until tomorrow when the weather's better. :cool:
I'll bet last week was the first time you've watched a Homestead race out there! :p

Yes. We are operating on the assumption that the networks are 800 lb gorillas, and that such a clause would either result in a smaller contract, or a contract with a smaller network that some cable systems may not carry, or both.
Have you seen what FS1 has been playing all morning? None of which come anywhere close to the number of fans who would tune in to watch a race. Colin Cowherd’s filmed radio show is on now. You really think that couldn’t be moved or shown at a later time? Gimmie a break. If the networks have zero ability to check the weather or make weather related clauses in their contract for a sport 100% dependent on blue skies, then fuggem. Find a network that is friendlier to fans.

And then we could watch highlights of the race the following Saturday afternoon on ABC's Wide World of Sports. :cool:

Have you seen what FS1 has been playing all morning? None of which come anywhere close to the number of fans who would tune in to watch a race. Colin Cowherd’s filmed radio show is on now. You really think that couldn’t be moved or shown at a later time? Gimmie a break. If the networks have zero ability to check the weather or make weather related clauses in their contract for a sport 100% dependent on blue skies, then fuggem.
Most potential viewers are at work. Let's not forget the networks promise their advertisers certain time slots and minimum demographic numbers. I guarantee those advertisers have clauses saying they pay less for ads run outside their preferred hours.

No, Cowherd doesn't draw the audience a race would at 9:00 am. Cowherd is on now because there's no one hone to watch him. He's cheap to produce, so they can make a profit even with the reduce rates advertisers will pay for his time slots. The question is, will a semi-reliable 9:00 am start draw more people than a questionable one at 3:00 pm? The networks spend a ton of money on questions like this. It's their gamble, and they seem to prefer the longer odds.

And then we could watch highlights of the race the following Saturday afternoon on ABC's Wide World of Sports. :cool:
I don't want to be That Boomer but damn! That '86 (?) D500 may have been the first one shown live and complete, but that didn't mean every race after it was shown that way. I really wish some members here could try watching a season of racing in the pre-TNN era, back when local affiliate pre-emptions were common, some tracks couldn't arrange contracts, and races were routinely tape-delayed or "JIP". The 2001 TV contract was one of the best things to happen to home viewers.

I'll put my teeth back in from where they shot across the floor. It's time for my Metamucil.

I don't want to be That Boomer but damn! That '86 (?) D500 may have been the first one shown live and complete, but that didn't mean every race after it was shown that way. I really wish some members here could try watching a season of racing in the pre-TNN era, back when local affiliate pre-emptions were common, some tracks couldn't arrange contracts, and races were routinely tape-delayed or "JIP". The 2001 TV contract was one of the best things to happen to home viewers.

I'll put my teeth back in from where they shot across the floor. It's time for my Metamucil.

I've seen 99% of all of the televised races since 1981, and as a FAN of the sport, it was a LOT better when the networks weren't so deeply financially invested that they insisted on everything being done for their benefit only. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the coverage we had from the mid 90's-through 2000 as a FAN of the sport. With all the coverage thrown to FS1 and NBCSN, the races aren't on any fewer channels than they were then, and ESPN, TNN and TBS ALL had higher market penetration than FS1 and ESPECIALLY NBCSN. If you had basic cable THEN, you wouldn't miss a race. Not true now.

i remember going on long drives and listening to the races on the radio,they did a great job of calling the races

I prefer the TV experience now compared to what it was when I was a kid. I think the presentation might have been better then and the overall on air talent then surpasses currently but I'll tell you HD and the fact that I dont have to flip multiple channels to find the race ( ESPN, CBS, ABC, TNT, TNN, TBS- when Braves baseball wasnt on, ESPN2) outweigh the good ol days. Its either Fox, FS1 for that part of the season and then usually its NBCSN to finish it up. I think what we have now is a hell of a lot better than the previous TV arrangement, I'll take the bastardized start times as long as I can get HD with whenever the race starts on my TV

In all seriousness, I don't think it'd work at 200 MPH. It'd have to be a super-ultra-turbo windshield wiper, lol.
Ok, I will be serious also. I have gave this a lot of thought and I think the easiest way would be to just leave the car covers on... On second thought, that may not work because it could blow off at 200 mph and cover another cars grill and cause it to over heat. I should rethink this idea to get all of the bugs worked out. But you have to admit it would make the spotters job much more valuable...and it would really get interesting if the radio lost signal. ;)

Ok, I will be serious also. I have gave this a lot of thought and I think the easiest way would be to just leave the car covers on... On second thought, that may not work because it could blow off at 200 mph and cover another cars grill and cause it to over heat. I should rethink this idea to get all of the bugs worked out. But you have to admit it would make the spotters job much more valuable...and it would really get interesting if the radio lost signal. ;)
Saw a guy run a 10-lap heat at Oglothorpe one time. Around lap 4 the hood came up. He kept going, staying on the inside line so he could see the inside edge of the racing surface. He finished well enough to move on to the next race. Of course, the crowd went absolutely ape $h!t.

I think we should wait until it rains during an Indycar event at an oval track.

Those guys sure know how to get it done in the wet. Too bad Ashley Judd doesn’t hang at the races anymore.

I'm not normally big on pre-race activities, and usually favor starting as close to the top of the hour as possible. In this case, Fox, please don't deny us this.

EDIT - looks like Ma Nature may take it from us before Fox has any choice.

Back
Top Bottom