2021 Bahrain Grand Prix

Mercedes is doing such a poor job communicating key stuff to their drivers it confines me.

How do you not tell your drivers not to go over turn 4 even before the race. Hamilton will definitely cop a penalty the next time he goes through wide turn 4. Hard not to do with almost 20 laps to go.

I don't think Lewis or Mercedes strategists got enough out of the first set of hards. Max did a really good job extending that last stint of mediums. I think Max can at least catch Lewis with such fresher tires, but passing is another thing for sure.

The FIA claims to have largely solved the dirty air wake problem with the new car design for 2022. We're about to see whether it is still a a ruinous factor when Verstappen gets within two seconds.

I do not like this year's Merc livery. It's too dark and doesn't have any flow or elegance to it. There are too many dark schemes on the current grid. I have to think we're in for a course correction on that in coming years.

The race was in Red Bull's control early, and they managed to make it very difficult to win. Mercedes still got the best of them on strategy, no matter how it turns out. They weren't going to pass Verstappen any other way.

Really hope the turbulence isn't about to destroy Verstappen's pace advantage. This is exciting.

Would be kinda hilarious if they took each other out and Bottas won after his pisser of a race.

Lewis just proved why he is the Champ. That was an exhibit of a guy at the height of his powers.

Wow I thought Lewis was toast. Great going with clearly the second best car by dare I say, wide margin.

Lewis was also on his last legs not only on tires but last life when he got the warning on track limits.

I wonder how different the outcome is if a Red Bull doesn't cut out on the formation lap and shorten the race by one lap.

I don't have a problem with no overtaking off of the track but it's pretty curious that they didn't care about gaining time going over by yourself until Red Bull complained 2/3rds of the way through the race. Lewis had been doing it all race up until that point and surely gained a ton of time doing so.

Overall, great defense by Lewis though. Max takes it relatively easily against almost anyone else in that scenario.

Lando being three spots up the road on Ricciardo is surprising to me.

I wonder how different the outcome is if a Red Bull doesn't cut out on the formation lap and shorten the race by one lap.

I don't have a problem with no overtaking off of the track but it's pretty curious that they didn't care about gaining time going over by yourself until Red Bull complained 2/3rds of the way through the race. Lewis had been doing it all race up until that point and surely gained a ton of time doing so.

Overall, great defense by Lewis though. Max takes it relatively easily against almost anyone else in that scenario.

Lando being three spots up the road on Ricciardo is surprising to me.
Ricciardo will take time to adjust, I remember when he started at Renault, he was a tad bit behind Hulkenburg at the beginning.

However, Lando is still really young and in his third full-time season. It will be close between them this season, but I think that's excellent for McLaren. They will continue to push each other along, for sure.

If Red Bull did not wait three laps to pit, Verstappen would have won with no issue.

Holy ****, what’s with the huge break in between? April 16 is the next race.

That’s why Lewis is the goat. Not only does he have the Golden Horseshoe and the best team, like most goats, he is ungodly clutch and pulls performances like this when his back is against the wall. This reminds me of 2017-18 where Ferrari had the advantage the first part of the season, then Lewis and Mercedes closed the gap and pulled away by the time we get to the fall. Red Bull needs to take advantage now while they can

Back
Top Bottom