2021 Food City Dirt Race Pre Race Thread

Get That 88 Up There !!

Love United Hate Glazer
Time for one of the new races on the schedule, the dirt race at Bristol. Who knows what is going to happen but it should be interesting and entertaining to say the least.
1616411677076.jpeg
Wesenday - iRacing Dirt (FS1) - 8:00 PM
Friday - Truck Practice (FS1) - 3:00 PM
Cup Practice (FS1) - 4:00 PM
Truck Final Practice (FS1) - 5:30 PM
Cup Final Practice (FS1) - 6:30 PM
Saturday - Truck Heats (FS1) - 4:30 PM
Cup Heats (FS1) - 6:00 PM
Truck Race (FS1) - 8:00 PM
Sunday - Cup Race (FOX) - 3:30 PM

1616430581467.png

Larson moves up into 2nd place going in to Bristol. I would say he has a really good chance of coming out of Bristol with the points lead for the first time in his career. It's going to take a little help from Hamlin probably :idunno:
1616430624355.png

Gonna be the c bell and larson show?
I actually don't think it will be. Stenhouse will definitely have something to say and you'll have guys like Friesen in the field. Plus anything can happen where those guys get wrecked or whatever.

Gonna be the c bell and larson show?
All the way. Unless either or both wreck out. I'm all in because I really don't care who wins right now, I just want to see a wad of Cup cars, Xfinities and the Trucks sliding around on the dirt :headbang:

Common as dirt.
I'll take your word. It's a format I have no knowledge of.

I'm not fond of rules changes for individual races. I'd prefer they used practice times, or the same formula they've been using everywhere else. But I'm not paying the bills.

I'll take your word. It's a format I have no knowledge of.

I'm not fond of rules changes for individual races. I'd prefer they used practice times, or the same formula they've been using everywhere else. But I'm not paying the bills.
What is the problem? First they don't know how many cars are going to show up (more then usual) should they send them all home? Looks fair as hell to me

-The starting lineup will be determined by a formula that weighs finishing position plus positions gained during each heat. Drivers finishing first in their heats earn 10 points, second place earns nine, third place earns eight and so forth. Additionally, drivers earn one passing point for each position gained in their heat; there are no points deductions or “negative points” for drivers who lose positions in their heats. Also, these points are merely used to calculate the starting lineup and do not count toward the championship standings.

All the way. Unless either or both wreck out. I'm all in because I really don't care who wins right now, I just want to see a wad of Cup cars, Xfinities and the Trucks sliding around on the dirt :headbang:

Have Larson and bell ever raced against one another on dirt?

Last edited:
What is the problem? First they don't know how many cars are going to show up (more then usual) should they send them all home? Looks fair as hell to me

-The starting lineup will be determined by a formula that weighs finishing position plus positions gained during each heat. Drivers finishing first in their heats earn 10 points, second place earns nine, third place earns eight and so forth. Additionally, drivers earn one passing point for each position gained in their heat; there are no points deductions or “negative points” for drivers who lose positions in their heats. Also, these points are merely used to calculate the starting lineup and do not count toward the championship standings.
so unless the leader puts the field down a lap he/she can't earn more than ten points for winning while a come from the back second place finish will get 9+ cars passed. another well thought out system.....NOT

so unless the leader puts the field down a lap he/she can't earn more than ten points for winning while a come from the back second place finish will get 9+ cars passed. another well thought out system.....NOT
so you think that the driver starting from the back (because of the draw) and passing all of those cars shouldn't be rewarded? Remember this isn't for real points but for starting position in the features A and B.

Also no at the 2018 Turkey Night Grand Prix.

View attachment 54561
That was one exciting race that had the fans in the stands including myself on the edge of our seats watching Larson and Bell duking it out until the very end and then Bell put one last slide job on Larson with one lap to go to win the race. I was hoping for the same exciting show between Larson and Bell the next year but Bell didn't come out west. Larson had a pretty easy victory other then the track was so rough from all of the rain we had that week and he almost tumbled in turn one a couple of times. They actually had to wait an extra day to have the race due to flooding. When I got there on Wed a lot of the pits was under water so they ran the race on Fri night instead of Thur night. Here is a video of the 2018 race between Larson and Bell.
USAC Midget Feature Highlights | Ventura Raceway 11.22.18 - YouTube

It's not the part you quoted that I disagree with. It's the part you didn't quote.

-Qualifying heat assignments and starting positions will be determined by a random draw, conducted in order of current team owner points standings.

I have no objection to heats to determine who qualifies for the main and where they start in the main. But I hate random draw; it' the worst possible way to set a field, even for heat races. Use the practice times to set the starting order for each heat. If P gets cancelled, then fall back to random draw.

so you think that the driver starting from the back (because of the draw) and passing all of those cars shouldn't be rewarded? Remember this isn't for real points but for starting position in the features A and B.
I think this will help alleviate chartered teams riding around in the heats and increase the likelihood of actual racing. The heats they tried in the Xfinity series a few years ago were snoozers. I haven't looked at Eldora in a couple of years but I recall the heats I did see as being less than competitive.

Depending on how this works out, I'd like to see 'positions gained' added the secret formula NASCAR is now using weekly to set the field elsewhere.

It's not the part you quoted that I disagree with. It's the part you didn't quote.

-Qualifying heat assignments and starting positions will be determined by a random draw, conducted in order of current team owner points standings.

I have no objection to heats to determine who qualifies for the main and where they start in the main. But I hate random draw; it' the worst possible way to set a field, even for heat races. Use the practice times to set the starting order for each heat. If P gets cancelled, then fall back to random draw.
Much better fan wise the other way. Who doesn't want to see Larson have to start his heat in the rear. In some places they revert the field..It's the DIRT. :punkrocke Dirt racing in many aspects has a real show quality to it quiet as it is kept.

Much better fan wise the other way. Who doesn't want to see Larson have to start his heat in the rear. In some places they revert the field..It's the DIRT. :punkrocke Dirt racing in many aspects has a real show quality to it quiet as it is kept.
Eh, it's just a bug up my sphincter. It may be dirt, but it's still Cup. I'd rather see as much of the Cup rule book retained as possible, as opposed to introducing a slew of dirt regs.

This conversation isn't building my interest. I'll just keep reminding myself it isn't a plate race. That usually helps me at least tolerate an event.

maybe these dirt races will expose a bunch of asphalt-only fans to a different type of racing.

I for one, look forward to see what the #1 truck can do. We already know there will be tons of good trucks out there.

maybe these dirt races will expose a bunch of asphalt-only fans to a different type of racing.
Okay, tell me what I should be looking for that's different from asphalt racing, other than turning right to go left. What are things I might miss in my ignorance?

Anyone here who's never been to any type of dirt race owes it to themselves to go see a live sprint car race.
Don't forget to tell them to be sure to take some goggles if they are planning on sitting on the lower half a dozen rows of seats. :D

Don't forget to tell them to be sure to take some goggles if they are planning on sitting on the lower half a dozen rows of seats. :D
I never sit down low at short tracks because the view's generally better up higher, so I've never really felt the need for goggles.

The weather for Sunday is not looking particularly cooperative at this time.

Back
Top Bottom