2021 Food City Dirt Race Pre Race Thread

Looks like the Penske's have came up with a scheme to get Hill into the race

UPDATE: MBM Motorsports owner Carl Long says he talked to NASCAR officials on Wednesday and was told that the team’s exclusion from the eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series was an oversight.
“Thanks for all your support of MBM / Timmy Hill being left out of the iRace at Bristol. There was so much support for us we were in the top 6 trending tweets today in the USA… This once again proves there is a ton of NASCAR followers and the sport is stronger than the ratings portray it..

Reactions: Pat
20210325_105153.jpg

Thinking out loud

The choice of Bristol for this event has created a lot of debate. Many dirt track fans would rather see this at an Eldora or a Knoxville, two of the more iconic dirt tracks. But attendance for this race, considering it’s at Bristol, will be well above what either of those venues can hold.

Bristol also is a familiar place, at least, to teams and broadcasters.

The criticisms – that these drivers don’t have much experience on dirt, so it’s not all that fair for it to be a points race – are valid. It’s best to think of this race as a first step, a one-time deal for Bristol and a test to see if dirt will work with Cup cars. If this goes well, those other venues will be there. Bristol isn’t going to want to do this every year – getting the dirt out of every seat and air-conditioning unit in the area is going to be a big task.

I don't think I had ever seen this vid before

Classic NASCAR on dirt | 1966 Hickory 250 from Hickory Speedway | NASCAR Classic Dirt Race Replay​

Thanks. That was incredibly helpful!

"What’s great about dirt racing, as the track goes through transitions, it’s always going to change," said Austin Dillon, who won the truck race on the Eldora Speedway dirt in 2013. "There might be a point in the race where, ultimately, you have to be on the bottom, and you’ll be fighting for it.

"It’ll go through so many transitions throughout the race, and that’s what’s cool about dirt racing. You have to be comfortable with change because it changes throughout the race, and to be good at it, you have to search constantly."

Is this supposed to be a dirt race? When was the first picture taken? That's a lot of exposed pavement.

Bristol is my favorite track with pavement. I've been worried that it won't be as good with dirt. Maybe I don't need to worry so much after all.

Last edited:
List could use some KFB.

A total of seven full-time Cup drivers are among the 44 drivers entered for Saturday’s Truck race.

Chase Briscoe, Bubba Wallace, Kevin Harvick, Ryan Newman, Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr. had all previously announced plans to run the race.

However, the list includes a seventh Cup regular that had not. Daniel Suarez is listed as driver for the No. 02 Young’s Motorsports entry.
He would get his ass handed to him. He only races sure things. Mostly the 1.5's where most of the field haven't raced on

Few could carry his jock but do go on.

And on.

And on.

And on.

Disclaimer: This post is a direct response to the post above. It is in no way intended to malign the poster personally. Just so we're clear.

not to worry, I'll stick my neck out..not very far and say none of the ringers will be a threat to win unless something big happens. Nascar has some damn good dirt racers in the ranks.
I wasn't impressed with the performance of most road course ringer over the last several years when they were a thing. Especially at the Cup level, Fellows and maybe Said were the only ones who looked like they could run in the front half of the field on a semi-consistent basis.

I joked earlier about ringers in unfamiliar cars vs Cup drivers on unfamiliar circuits. Jokes aside, my uninformed opinion is these cars are just too different for a ringer unfamiliar with them to be run up front. He might may bring a bottom-tier team a better finish than its regular guy (if RWR can be said to have a regular guy), but that's different from competing for a win.

Few could carry his jock but do go on.

And on.

And on.

And on.

Disclaimer: This post is a direct response to the post above. It is in no way intended to malign the poster personally. Just so we're clear.
you have an ignore button, no use to be a smart alec parrot unless you are getting mishapen joy out of it. ;)

Dumb question, but I know squat about dirt racing surfaces. How badly could rain Sunday damage this specific track since it's not an actual dirt track? I know they laid multiple layers but all I can envision is this huge mudslide of a mess on the banking lol.

Dumb question, but I know squat about dirt racing surfaces. How badly could rain Sunday damage this specific track since it's not an actual dirt track? I know they laid multiple layers but all I can envision is this huge mudslide of a mess on the banking lol.

They're more resilient that asphalt tracks regarding rain. I've been to a couple dirt races where it sprinkles and they keep going. That said, you get a quick, downpouring thunderstorm on a hot summer day, the asphalt track is gonna dry faster as it holds more heat. But when it's cooler this time of year dirt is the way to go.

you have an ignore button, no use to be a smart alec parrot unless you are getting mishapen joy out of it. ;)
Ignore you?

Oh ... I couldn't do that. I might miss some important KFB updates. I said might.

I don't think I had ever seen this vid before

Classic NASCAR on dirt | 1966 Hickory 250 from Hickory Speedway | NASCAR Classic Dirt Race Replay​

I watched many a race at Hickory but would have loved to have seen races there when it was still dirt.

Neither would I.

And his brother is in the race. Both of these boys have trophies earned in dirt cars.
Ty Dillon winning in one of MY Toyotas would put a smile on my face. I have gotten to know about this kid since he stepped into the right OEM, and I like him a lot. I hope this gets interesting.....

Back
Top Bottom