2021 IndyCar Miscellaneous Thread

No, they canned that last year. Hopefully they do the same for the 500 next.
Hopefully not. The Indy 500 is so much more prestigious than every other race it should have double points.
Eliminating double points for the season finale is sensible though. 162 points are still on the line, it's a wide open race for the championship.

Hopefully not. The Indy 500 is so much more prestigious than every other race it should have double points.
Eliminating double points for the season finale is sensible though. 162 points are still on the line, it's a wide open race for the championship.
Going for the Borg-Warner and the fact that it’s basically the only money race on the calendar should be enough on the line, IMO. If you screw up there you’re down bad enough for those reasons alone, don’t need it to affect your championship doubly on top of it. I forget if Le Mans still does it but I thought that was dumb when they started doing it a few years back too. Like teams and drivers don’t want to win that one badly enough already.

I'm in favor of double points for the 500. Probably against it for the finale, but I didn't hate it.

Going for the Borg-Warner and the fact that it’s basically the only money race on the calendar should be enough on the line, IMO. If you screw up there you’re down bad enough for those reasons alone, don’t need it to affect your championship doubly on top of it. I forget if Le Mans still does it but I thought that was dumb when they started doing it a few years back too. Like teams and drivers don’t want to win that one badly enough already.

I can understand a 24 hour race doubling points but outside of that, then normal points should be the standard.

Winning marquee races is what is all about. Boosts your career and pays you well. What else does a man need?

I'm in favor of double points for the 500. Probably against it for the finale, but I didn't hate it.

Double points is a bit much...maybe 10 extra points for all 33 starters as another incentive to make the show.

Pretty common in dirt racing. If it's a big money race and they'll give all the starters equal points just for earning a starting spot.

Yes, Oregon now requires masks everywhere. I just don't know how they will enforce it unless there are Portland police lingering around the premises and that could still cause problems. I still find it odd that we will be jammed in the stands but will have to take our masks off to eat and drink. I'm just looking forward to going again this year.

When they were discussing moving this from Homestead to Texas a couple of weeks ago it was mentioned this would be more relevant, which makes me wonder if he isn’t considering the full schedule.

Grosjean could make some real noise in that ride, and it was time to move on from RHR.

I think they need to bring Olivier Boisson along as a package deal too.

Devlin still getting moved up to the #29 is a mistake on the part of his sponsors and the team, IMO. And it is mindblowing that Andretti might actually let Kyle Kirkwood, probably the most successful RTI driver ever, walk away to another team.

Ryan will get a good part-time + 500 deal somewhere in the series I bet.

Juncos-Hollinger Racing will be back for the last three races:

A couple of minutes of Instagram sleuthing leads me to believe Callum Ilott could get a race appearance, which would be surprising but very cool.

A couple of minutes of Instagram sleuthing leads me to believe Callum Ilott could get a race appearance, which would be surprising but very cool.
This might be an alternative to F1 for now, in all seriousness for Ilott.

Ilott might not race again next season due to Bottas being a front-runner to take Kimi's spot and Gio is safe for at least another season. Sauber and Vasseur are high on Pouichaire.

Nail on the head:

This is a big deal. He really earned a spot in F1 full-time this year, but you know how it works with limited spots for academy graduates and funded drivers. I always figured he was a shoe-in for Ferrari’s sports car projects from 2023 and beyond but am glad to see he’s interested in Indy.

Looking forward to seeing both he and Askew out on track in open wheel cars again soon.

Dan Ticktum is rumored to start racing in the final three races, more than likely for Carlin:

Would low key like to see some Dick Tantrum in Indy. He’d bring some flair to the series and an energy to Carlin that they’ve been needing.

NASCAR reportedly turned down a return to Homestead when the track went to the mothership for final approval so that sucks. They were even likely doing combined spring training on the oval and roval next spring.

NASCAR reportedly turned down a return to Homestead when the track went to the mothership for final approval so that sucks. They were even likely doing combined spring training on the oval and roval next spring.
Is this because Nascar management didn't like the risk/reward ratio of being the promoter of IndyCar at Homestead? Or because Nascar wanted to lock IndyCar out of south Florida? The latter would suck, but I could understand the former. Maybe IndyCar should seek a track rental and self-promote... if they believe that market will support a race with adequate live attendance.

Is this because Nascar management didn't like the risk/reward ratio of being the promoter of IndyCar at Homestead? Or because Nascar wanted to lock IndyCar out of south Florida? The latter would suck, but I could understand the former. Maybe IndyCar should seek a track rental and self-promote... if they believe that market will support a race with adequate live attendance.
I think it’s the former because that’s been the way they’ve typically done business recently. Phoenix and Watkins Glen were track rentals and Iowa will be starting from next year onwards. Richmond wasn’t, but that also got the plug pulled on it before it ever raced with the uncertainty of ticket sales in the midst of the pandemic. Iowa has a big title sponsor in HyVee, which is probably a prerequisite to making any of those work anymore.

Maybe worth considering is that the Acura DPI program will likely land in Mikey's lap, and Sato is about the right age to retire into sportscars. Throw Marco in the car too and you'de have a formidable package.

Dale Coyne seems like the most likely spot for Sato:
I'm somewhat meh on Takuma spend his last few years in Indy with DCR, but its an upgrade over Jones. It would actually be amazing to see him in the 18, 51, or whatever number he uses.

My apologies, I don't hate DCR at all. They are just wildly inconsistent at times.

Last edited:
Dale Coyne seems like the most likely spot for Sato:
I'm somewhat meh on Takuma spend his last few years in Indy with DCR, but its an upgrade over Jones. It would actually be amazing to see him in the 18, 51, or whatever number he uses.

My apologies, I don't hate DCR at all. They are just wildly inconsistent at times.
I was afraid he'd be out of a ride after this season.
Coyne is a good landing spot. They had some great results with Bourdais, Wilson and this year with Grosjean.

Back
Top Bottom