2021 Monster Energy Supercross

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Good to have it back, even if on a packed night of racing and sports. Not the traditional opening round in Anaheim, but Houston. Most of the top guys are healthy, and the 450 class is as stacked as I can remember. Should be fun.

213892_2002886-sx-international_video_pass_schedule_release_website_graphics.jpg

Great ride for Christian Craig to take the 250 Main. He has bounced back and forth between 250 and 450 and numerous teams, good see him win in a surprise over Forkner.

You become accustomed over time to expect the 450 class to consist of about 8-10 fast guys, with 3-5 actual winning contenders, and a bunch of filler. This current group is so deep. There are 15 riders who expect or have the potential to run near the front.

Barcia wins his third straight season opener. Weird. I thought Roczen had him, but Roczen ran him very clean. Hopelly Bam Bam will do the same for Roczen when roles are reversed.

Disappointing results for a lot of big names: Webb 9th, Osborne 10th, Tomac 13th (WTF Eli), Anderson 15th.

Good opening round.

Can somebody explain the Gas-Gas/KTM deal to me? So we now have 3 "different" versions of KTM's? KTM/Husqvarna/Gas-Gas all the same bikes? I believe Barcia is running the air-shock KTM gave up on a few years ago.

Crazy that JGR folded. But they never did get decent results. About killed poor Bubba. How long before that blue diesel pig hurts Mookie? Since they built that reverse cyl head monstrosity I believe they've finished ONE outdoor season without maiming their riders. BRING BACK THE 2-SMOKES!

I nearly forgot we're doing this again tonight. Weird to get used to, but I like the idea of mid-week racing.

I get less impressed with Forkner every time he races lately. There was no room for that move, absolute clown decision. Now Hampshire definitely owes him one.

Meanwhile, only Tomac could putt around and settle for 14th one race, and then cruise to an easy win three days later. Nice recoveries for Webb and Roczen. Great second place showing for Ferrandis. Another solid finish for Malcom Stewart. This championship race is going to be all over the place with this many fast riders in the field.

Meanwhile, only Tomac could putt around and settle for 14th one race, and then cruise to an easy win three days later. Nice recoveries for Webb and Roczen. Great second place showing for Ferrandis. Another solid finish for Malcom Stewart. This championship race is going to be all over the place with this many fast riders in the field.
I believe Stewart hurt his left wrist/hand with about 10 laps to go. He made a huge run thru the whoops, as usual, then right after dropped like a rock. Hope i'm wrong. Appeared Sexton hurt one of his too during the big crash. These guys are on the edge every lap. Stuff happens. Amazes me on starts they don't wad up every week.

Very good 250 race tonight with a back and forth fight between Yamaha teammates Nichols and Craig for the win, with Nichols getting the best of it. Strong battle for third too, though the move Lawrence pulled on Mosiman looked dirty.

Completely unacceptable and unaware rookie level riding by Dean Wilson to hold Roczen up like that. It wasn't a single corner. It was for most of a lap. Roczen deserves better. Webb capitalizes because he's a fighter, well done for him.

Wonder how many KTM owned teams tonight? Soon 450 class is going to be called KTM Seniors.

This is striking me as more relevant now than before. When KTM satellite team riders going a lap down are pulling team tactics to block the leader in Round 3, this is a problem.

Completely unacceptable and unaware rookie level riding by Dean Wilson to hold Roczen up like that. It wasn't a single corner. It was for most of a lap. Roczen deserves better. Webb capitalizes because he's a fighter, well done for him.
I could not agree more with this post. I am confident that Dean Wilson cost Roczen the win and it is unexcusable. I think Roczen's interview showed a lot of maturity. He had the raw adrenaline, passion, and understandable disappointment but it wasn't over the top.

FWIW Dean Wilson has apologized and owned it. Link pasted quote included. https://www.google.com/amp/s/mxvice.com/statement-dean-wilson/amp/

Drama at round three of 2021 Monster Energy Supercross! After costing Ken Roczen the main event victory, Dean Wilson has immediately taken to social media to apologise to fans. Bear in mind that this has been shared less than 20 minutes after the chequered flag was waved. Wilson’s raw apology can be found in full below, as well as a clip of the final lap of the 450SX main event.

“First off I f@cked up. I fully own this. I never knew it was the leaders behind me. Kenny I’m sorry and sincerely apologize. I ruined your race & I wish I could take it back. I know the fans are pissed & team which I would be to. I hate that I was that guy in the way and ruined a win & a race. I should have been more aware of who was behind me I just got locked in on the guys ahead. You guys can tear me apart in the comments do what you gotta do. But I cant apologise enough for pretty much being the idiot of the race. Once again I’m sorry. Sucks to be that guy… – Dean”

This is striking me as more relevant now than before. When KTM satellite team riders going a lap down are pulling team tactics to block the leader in Round 3, this is a problem.
I didn't get t watch any of the race. Spectrum was hitting the rev limiter. Rebooting everything got it kind of working but was still unwatchable. I went to bed.

I still feel like I've been watching Dean Wilson for many years, and appreciating his own fight through injuries and lesser rides. While I'd like to admire the outright apology, it sure looked intentional at the time. It's a hard coincidence to swallow that he would be that unaware for that long with those consequences. If it really was pure accident, and he'd done that to Webb, he might be out of a ride this week.

I still feel like I've been watching Dean Wilson for many years, and appreciating his own fight through injuries and lesser rides. While I'd like to admire the outright apology, it sure looked intentional at the time. It's a hard coincidence to swallow that he would be that unaware for that long with those consequences. If it really was pure accident, and he'd done that to Webb, he might be out of a ride this week.
First, I agree with your earlier post... Jett Lawrence's pass crossed over the line into clear dirty racing. That kind of deliberate contact should be penalized IMO. But regarding Wilson, I'm not buying the team strategy conspiracy theories... deliberately impeding a Honda to benefit a KTM. My immediate thought was a guy battling to avoid the embarrassment of getting lapped, but I see no reason to doubt the sincerity of his public apology.

I'm not a fan of KTM in general (although Cooper Webb is a favorite of mine). But offhand, I don't recall any examples of KTM engaging in team tactics or dirty riding. I'd need something way more concrete than what we have here to embrace the conspiracy theories. Just my dos centavos.

Mosiman should have saved his payback for the main event. I guess he saw the opportunity and had to take it.

The mid race battle between Cianciarulo, Roczen, and Tomac was great, really happy to see Roczen close the deal.
He already deserves all the respect for coming back and winning since his injury. But there has been several late race losses that had to be heartbreakers, I am happy to see him turn the tables.

I forgot too and got wrapped up in the sprints and late models. Oops. Will have to find a recording somewhere.

I forgot too and got wrapped up in the sprints and late models. Oops. Will have to find a recording somewhere.
Apparently can watch thru Hulu. Tried that and its says you have to upgrade to $64.95 a month Hulu+. Nope. I can kinda see it but no sound. It will play fine on the replay. But live SX just doesn't work.

Here are the YouTube links. 250 is up. 450 heats up. My NBCSN sound just popped on for about 3 seconds and scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:
Ricky Carmichael emphasized that the track design used Tuesday was a lot faster than Saturday's design. So I pulled out my calculator... the fastest lap time I could find (Roczen 46.6 sec) equated to 27.2 mph. I don't know what the comparable number from Saturday was, but Tuesday's races were still typical Supercross... 1st and 2nd gear point-and-squirt, with a dearth of cornering speed and emphasis on shortest line through every corner. Such is the essential character of the sport of Supercross.

I much prefer MX racing to SX. It's more flowing and it's faster, but still plenty of "big air." The racing is just better outdoors, IMO.

But having said that, I enjoy SX racing for its intense head-to-head competition in a contest of skill. The current 450 field is deeper and stronger than we've seen in years. And the show benefits from a very compact schedule that starts in the dead of winter, when there is little racing to be found. Also, SX is the Big Prize to those who race dirt bikes... the championship that everyone wants above all other championships... so that adds spice to the competition. (SX is like the Daytona 500 in Nascar. Even those of us who dislike the nature of the racing cannot deny that the Daytona 500 is a very prestigious event with career-altering consequences.)

250 East: Colt Nichols ran away from his Yamaha teammate and everyone else. Jett Lawrence crashed out of his heat. He came back to win the LCQ but was obviously hurting (shoulder). He did not start the 250 main. Nichols is +11 points over Craig after 5 of 9 rounds and looks like the clear favorite.

450: Kenny Roczen dominated, looking fast and smooth and totally in control. Barcia rode well to hold on to second place throughout. Eli Tomac and Cooper Webb got away in 10th and 11th, then moved forward to finish 3rd and 4th. However, Tomac looked much stronger than Webb. Eli sliced through the field to reach Barcia, hounding him for 2nd place but never could make the pass. Webb had a lot more difficulty advancing.

Roczen leads the points by 13 over Webb and 14 over Tomac. At this early moment, the battle looks to be between red and green, not orange. But there are 12 rounds remaining, so the relative form of the players could change. After Roczen's injuries over the last few years, how could anyone root against him on a personal level? And Eli would be a very worthy repeat champion no doubt. If my boy Webb is going to have a shot at his second title, he needs to find another gear... but there is a long way to go.

Very interesting insights @Lew. I agree that outdoor MX is a more pure and versatile test of dirt bike racing skills. It might be fair to say that SX is more mentally demanding, where a competitor like Webb can make up for physical deficits he has relative to guys like Roczen and Tomac?

I see validity in the comparison to the Daytona 500, but don't wholly agree. The nature of that style of very low power stock car racing is that it often puts otherwise subpar teams and drivers within reach of a win or top five finish if the largely random crash circumstances play out in their favor. This doesn't happen in any SX race, save for possibly Daytona (ironic), which has become a strangely random event in recent years. After 15 or 20 minutes, those remaining in contention for a podium finish are there due to superior ability and endurance.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but you took my Daytona 500 comparison further than I meant for it to be taken. I wasn't trying to equate SX with Daytona. I was offering reasons I watch and enjoy SX even though I like outdoor MX more as a sport. One such reason is that SX is the most prestigious championship in dirt bike racing in the U.S. and that adds interest to the competition.

By the same token, the Daytona 500 cannot be ignored by avid Nascar fans, even if they don't like that style of racing, and even if they don't respect the event as a contest of skill for the reasons you mentioned. Regardless of that, it's still a highly sought-after trophy with career-altering rewards... so that makes it a thing. If I have a favorite driver, I want him to win the 500 and I'd rather that happen than a win in the summer Firecracker 400. But yes, I agree with you that SX rarely sees a fluke winner as happens with a degree of regularity at Daytona.

The 250 classes seem exceptionally thin right now, and the 450 class more deep than at any other time I'm familiar with. This is probably cyclical.

Thus far Roczen looks like he has the edge and is the class of the field, as Tomac is lacking the consistency he has shown. The test for Roczen is if he can maintain this level of focus and endurance with the demands of the schedule featuring so many races packed together, and of course his health. I truly hope that all of the top riders can remain healthy. I like the trend toward cleaner and more respectful racing. They all seem aware of how severe the injury risks are, even riders like Barcia who used to plow into anyone and everyone.

Tonight's track was even tighter with lower speed corners, thinking @LewTheShoe won't be impressed. :D

I always liked the Glendale track designs, because it's an outdoor stadium and they used a lot of the space to create wider sweeping turns.

Could Vince Freise retire already? That clown is always roughing it up with riders that are far better than him.

Roczen continues to be the man, at least during the Indy stretch, netting his third straight win. Webb kept the pressure on and looked impressive as well. Musquin looked better than he has, still not enough to contend, but he benefited from the Barcia / Tomac misfortune. Good to see Malcom Stewart continuing to ride well too.

Key recovery by Colt Nichols in the 250 class to finish third after going down early.

Last edited:
Last year, after a handful of races had been contested, it was reported that Roger De Coster sat down with Cooper Webb and said, "Are you willing to do whatever it takes, or am I just wasting my time with you?" The thought has crossed my mind that De Coster may have had a similar conversation this year with Justin Barcia...:idunno:

I thought the track design was OK, typical Supercross, didn't notice much difference from last Tuesday. Webb's pole time was 27.0 mph. When I have calculated average speeds on outdoor MX tracks, 30 to 33 mph is typical. Doesn't seem so much different, I guess. Some SX tracks go overboard with the whoops. I'm not a fan of that. I approve of Indy's whoops on all three nights...:cool:

just when i was almost not disliking barcia.he rides right into rocen,what a dick

Back
Top Bottom