2022 IndyCar News/Misc.

Worth mentioning is we have not seen a driver have a streak like Helio is on since Foyt and Gurney in 67. In the span of roughly 16 months (or so). Helio won the IMSA drivers' championship, two Rolex 24s, and his fourth Indianapolis 500. Somewhere in that time frame he also won either three or four other IMSA races, and this was from a guy some people were saying might be finished. All of these are very significant career achievements, and I don't think Helio is done yet.

Helio goes into the Indianapolis 500 as the defending, 4 time champion, and the winner of the last two Rolex. That has never happened before, so let's appreciate the significance of this. No one has ever done this before and it's a feat that it unlikely to ever be duplicated.

I forget what all of the options were but I am surprised to see Texas and Phoenix on the ideal 16-race calendar. OTOH, not surprised to see COTA, Pocono, and Watkins Glen on there.

I think that removes Iowa, Portland, and Nashville.
I started to say that I'd miss Portland if it was gone.

Then I remembered the first turn of the last several races. Now I'm over possibly missing it.

I forget what all of the options were but I am surprised to see Texas and Phoenix on the ideal 16-race calendar. OTOH, not surprised to see COTA, Pocono, and Watkins Glen on there.

I think that removes Iowa, Portland, and Nashville.

They want Phoenix on the schedule but yet not even 10,000 out of these 53,000 surveyed will help bring up the Phoenix attendance to the 25,000-30,000 attendance number it needs to stay on the schedule. If I recall like 18,000 attended the last race or 2 there?

I personally wouldn’t mind seeing the schedule expand a race and have Watkins Glen & New Hampshire alternate a race every year to keep things fresh in the northeast but I guess that’s not how contracts work.

Also Portland is a very nice track IMO and a great city for the series.

Last edited:
New engine + hybrid formula won’t debut until 2024. First prototypes of the ERS and new gearbox won’t arrive until at least June. The ERS was originally due to test this week and the gearboxes in April. Chevy and Honda also reportedly had supply chain concerns about not being able to support all of the growing field with new engines next year.

Imo, it would be good to have a new chassis debut in 2024 as well. It makes little sense to make teams spend money to overhaul an old car that’s due to be replaced soon, and then go out and buy new cars a year or two later.

Texas test from Thursday

Texas isn’t great as it used to be, but I’d rather just see an extra race on the schedule at Milwaukee than lose a Speedway race.

If flights weren’t so expensive I’d consider going this weekend.

Texas is the last relic from the old IRL days and I'd be very sad to see it off the schedule without an adequate replacement.
Adequate means a 1.5 or 2 mile track, not a flat short track where these cars don't race very well.
I still say Homestead should be back on the schedule, but with St. Pete being that first race of the season it makes it a tough sell. Especially down in the middle of nowhere in Homestead, Florida.

It's time for another bigger oval if Texas is being taken off.

Sadly there just aren’t many realistic options whether it’s due to track surface, track ownership, or financing.

Texas needs to overperform against expectations this weekend. If there is anything to be hopeful about it’s some added downforce and cooler temps than usual from the date change.

Back
Top Bottom