2022 IndyCar News/Misc.

I still have to binge from Gateway to the end of the season, hopefully I’ll get it done by thanksgiving.

This hardly seems like an inspiring circuit, and the double-sided pit lane seems absurd, but since it seems to benefit all involved it’ll probably happen. Residents get the island park back, GM is featured more prominently with the layout racing around the Ren Cen, and 50% of the track is supposed to be viewable for free.

This hardly seems like an inspiring circuit, and the double-sided pit lane seems absurd, but since it seems to benefit all involved it’ll probably happen. Residents get the island park back, GM is featured more prominently with the layout racing around the Ren Cen, and 50% of the track is supposed to be viewable for free.

Just run Michigan

Most successful Road to Indy driver ever. Here’s hoping that scholarship can lead to a full ride somewhere in the series instead of having to go **** off in Formula E or something for a year.

More like politics and safety. They could partner with NASCAR more if operating costs are a big deal.
NASCAR isn’t going to partner with them on sanctioning fees or anything. There’s no reason to. The reason why Iowa is coming back and Homestead isn’t is they had a sponsor to help recoup costs for renting out Iowa. Homestead wanted to come back and ultimately didn’t get the thumbs up from corporate because it wasn’t a track rental deal, no sponsor was behind it.

They’ve rented out a few NASCAR tracks like Phoenix and Watkins Glen in the past and had to drop them because they were drawing flies and losing money.

My gosh, that's a boring layout, even more so than Nashville.

Few weeks ago Coyne said there was an 80 percent chance.
Money will be a big deal with Coyne. Takuma should still have the likes of Nissin, Panasonic, and Honda behind him.

RLL confirmed Sato is leaving today:

How does a guy who won the 500 be out of a ride two years later? Indycar needs to address these sorts of things. Many, many 500 champions hung around well past their prime, just because a 500 winner could always get a ride. The race was that important and the champions too revered.

Sato's not even past it. He's still got another win or two left in him, maybe even another 500. Especially the 500.

Sato's two wins were for the ages. He beat four time (then three time) champion Helio wheel to wheel to win the 2017 race. In 2020 beat Scott Dixon in a straight up duel and simply drove away in what was then maybe the greatest Indianapolis 500 of all time.

It would be ridiculous if Sato couldn't get a good drive.

How does a guy who won the 500 be out of a ride two years later? Indycar needs to address these sorts of things. Many, many 500 champions hung around well past their prime, just because a 500 winner could always get a ride. The race was that important and the champions too revered.

Sato's not even past it. He's still got another win or two left in him, maybe even another 500. Especially the 500.

Sato's two wins were for the ages. He beat four time (then three time) champion Helio wheel to wheel to win the 2017 race. In 2020 beat Scott Dixon in a straight up duel and simply drove away in what was then maybe the greatest Indianapolis 500 of all time.

It would be ridiculous if Sato couldn't get a good drive.
It sounds like Honda hasn’t committed a 2022 sponsorship budget to Sato yet.

It sounds like Honda hasn’t committed a 2022 sponsorship budget to Sato yet.

I hope Sato lands somewhere really competitive, like say, Shank. Honda certainly has the money for that, I would think.

When does Honda think they are going to get another Japanese Indianapolis 500 champion? Look how long it took to get one, and look what they already have invested. Now that we have a Japanese champion, why isn't Honda doing everything they can to keep him in a competitive ride?

I hope Sato lands somewhere really competitive, like say, Shank. Honda certainly has the money for that, I would think.

When does Honda think they are going to get another Japanese Indianapolis 500 champion? Look how long it took to get one, and look what they already have invested. Now that we have a Japanese champion, why isn't Honda doing everything they can to keep him in a competitive ride?
2021 was pretty pedestrian for Sato. First year without a podium since 2016, no poles, didn’t finish Top 10 in points. Maybe they just find it more reasonable to spend a smaller budget on an Indy 500 deal or something a smaller team like Coyne is willing to accept. He’s not getting any younger, for sure.

Marshall Pruett said this week he was going to be done at the end of 2020 until he won the 500 in August, so he already got an extra year from everyone involved. Fwiw, I don’t think getting a 500 seat is that big of a hurdle, which is where he can probably still be competitive for another few years.

2021 was pretty pedestrian for Sato. First year without a podium since 2016, no poles, didn’t finish Top 10 in points. Maybe they just find it more reasonable to spend a smaller budget on an Indy 500 deal or something a smaller team like Coyne is willing to accept. He’s not getting any younger, for sure.

Marshall Pruett said this week he was going to be done at the end of 2020 until he won the 500 in August, so he already got an extra year from everyone involved. Fwiw, I don’t think getting a 500 seat is that big of a hurdle, which is where he can probably still be competitive for another few years.
It was, he was down on pace at the road courses this year. Especially in qualifying, Taku's race pace and overtaking ability is still there. I just feel he still has a lot left in the tank, he's extremely pedestrian in qualifying trim now.

Consistent as well, maybe RLL thought it was time for a younger driver. Also, I've heard Rahal and Sato's driving style being completely different. Graham was supposedly not happy about that either, no clue, but eh. Graham hasn't won since 2017 surprisingly.

The part that doesn't makes sense is the amount of money Honda spent putting Japanese drivers in cars, and when they get a double Indianapolis 500 champion they let this happen.

Sure, he can land a 500 drive, but those usually aren't winners. It certainly was this year, but I believe the last 500 winner not to compete the entire year was Dan Wheldon. Before that, the last non-championship runner to win the 500 I can remember is big Al in 87. You need more time to build continuity with the team and we don't have a full month any more. You've got roughly a week.

I don't want to see Sato go away, and I don't want to see a two time winner slogging around in anything less than a capable car. I hope he lands in WEC or IMSA with Acura (Honda) or something, maybe with Kamui Kobayashi. What a savage combo that would.

Thank you Sato for no attack, no chance.

I have a feeling Lundguaard will be in the 30, I guess HyVee was okay with Harvey being in the 45.

Askew and Santino will more than likely be sitting on the sidelines.
Good on HyVee for that honestly, Harvey and Lundgaard are probably the best duo you could make of that bunch. So much for them being hell-bent on having a young American. Alpine supposedly have a lot to give to a team for running Lundgaard.

I’m guessing Askew lands in IMSA in some capacity and not sure about Santino. I wouldn’t mind him with DCR again but I don’t think he’s made up for the personal funding he lost at the end of last year. Maybe some more NASCAR.

Good on HyVee for that honestly, Harvey and Lundgaard are probably the best duo you could make of that bunch. So much for them being hell-bent on having a young American. Alpine supposedly have a lot to give to a team for running Lundgaard.

I’m guessing Askew lands in IMSA in some capacity and not sure about Santino. I wouldn’t mind him with DCR again but I don’t think he’s made up for the personal funding he lost at the end of last year. Maybe some more NASCAR.
Askew, I think is a better fit for IMSA. He's fantastic in LMP3, I think he should focus on that and see with the future influx of LMDh/LMH programs to see where he could possibly land.

Santino has been pretty good in NASCAR, tbh. He's been one of the better drivers in the 26 and TRD seems to like him a lot.

Building bridges back toward USAC and short track racing is good in my book, and it's a nice opportunity for Jones, who had an impressive USAC driving career.

A lot of moving parts.

I'm more interested in Dalton Sargent testing for Foyt.
RHR testing for ECR.
David Malukas testing for DCR.

Pretty surprised to see Sargeant on there, would’ve thought he’d be looking at F2 next year. All things considered he did well with Charouz this year.

I think Ryan would be a good fit with Carpenter and people are going to like David Malukas, really upbeat kid.

Kirkwood in the 26 again means something, I’m sure.

Pretty surprised to see Sargeant on there, would’ve thought he’d be looking at F2 next year. All things considered he did well with Charouz this year.

I think Ryan would be a good fit with Carpenter and people are going to like David Malukas, really upbeat kid.

Kirkwood in the 26 again means something, I’m sure.
I think you confused Dalton with Logan, Daltons the one who had a truck ride.

Back
Top Bottom