2023 IndyCar News / Misc.

RACER had one particularly interesting sentence in their article:

Although the conclusion of the relationship between ECR and Daly is understood to be one that has more to do with interpersonal relationships than the Hoosier’s on-track results, the reset by the team with the No. 20 Chevy also created an opportunity to draft in the longstanding Andretti Autosport driver to get a handle on what the program will need to vie for routine podiums and wins when the new season begins in 2024.

I mean technically the race track is about 5-10 feet to his right
You can’t expect everyone not to go a bit wide at some points. Lots of youngsters around the world in smaller single seaters are literally breaking their backs launching off these sausage-type curbs. They’re a huge problem.

Scott said series officials are already making sure it’s gone for race weekend.

You can’t expect everyone not to go a bit wide at some points. Lots of youngsters around the world in smaller single seaters are literally breaking their backs launching off these sausage-type curbs. They’re a huge problem.

That's why roadcourses are supposed to have grass. Keeps you on the actual track surface.

This happened almost 4 years ago. I'm surprised these kerbs still exist at some tracks.

Last week some Brazilian papers said that SPTuris, who are helping to bring the WEC back to Interlagos next year, are also working to do so with IndyCar. That would be an incredible track for the series.
Then we'de be hearing it forever that F1 is X seconds faster than Indycar. If you really want a great Indycar race in Canada, go to Mosport.

Ericsson says he’s made it clear to Ganassi that he wants to stay, but he doesn’t have a contract in place for next year. He can start talking formally to other teams in August, though Ganassi holds exclusive negotiating rights until then.

“It’s frustrating, for sure,” Ericsson said. “I’d like to have a contract by now and know where I’d be for the future, but that’s not the case. I just have to keep pushing and keep trying to do my best. That’s all I can do, really.”

Marcus deserves a good offer from Ganassi. Chips top two drivers in Indycar standings, could both be gone if Marcus isn’t offered a fair deal. It was elaborated in practice 1 that the mentality of this ‘contract situation’ sounds to be that Ganassi still expects Ericsson to pay for his spot in the #8.

Marcus deserves a good offer from Ganassi. Chips top two drivers in Indycar standings, could both be gone if Marcus isn’t offered a fair deal. It was elaborated in practice 1 that the mentality of this ‘contract situation’ sounds to be that Ganassi still expects Ericsson to pay for his spot in the #8.
Marcus has more than earned a paid salary and quite a healthy one at that. I think this is where Chip not having made his wealth outside of racing or not having a major investor like the other big teams really hurts. He needs to go out and find sponsorship since he can’t just pay out of pocket, but Marcus has been a source of income himself before this. A team like Andretti or McLaren, who’ve had big money injected the last few years, would have no problem making him a paid driver.

Chip just can’t afford to lose both Palou and Ericsson in the same offseason, especially not when Dixon is as old as he is. Unless his plan is to run paying or cheap F2/Indy NXT grads from this point on…would think there’s enough sponsors on the 10 for Marcus just to slide into Palou’s seat when he leaves. 🤷‍♂️

Palou is one of McLaren’s F1 reserves this season and also part of their development program so he gets to test older-spec cars at some points throughout the season.

Didn't know that! Thank you. I'm always leery of an Indycar driver going to F1, after what happened to Andretti in '93.

After today's race at Chicago, Captains probably on the phone to SVG for 2025. 🤣🤣

In addition to Palou, Ericsson could also be leaving CGR at the end of the year because he is unhappy with his financial situation.

According to motorsport.com CGR could promote both Armstrong and Sato to full-time rides.
Armstrong going full-time seems like a no-brainer but as much as I would love to see it I don't think Taku will be full-time again given that he'll be 47 at the start of next season.
Malukas or Rosenqvist sound like more realistic options to me.

In addition to Palou, Ericsson could also be leaving CGR at the end of the year because he is unhappy with his financial situation.

According to motorsport.com CGR could promote both Armstrong and Sato to full-time rides.
Armstrong going full-time seems like a no-brainer but as much as I would love to see it I don't think Taku will be full-time again given that he'll be 47 at the start of next season.
Nolan Siegel, maybe, especially if he's bringing the NXT Scholarship with him.

This situation sucks for Ericsson because there’s no better place for him to be, CGR are the dominant force in the series right now. He just might get squeezed out because of finances. Several other teams would pay him a healthier sum to drive but they would all be a step down competitively.

Chip will have his choice of cheap young talent between Malukas, Ilott, Shwartzman, etc. regardless. David already said this last weekend he won’t be returning to DCR and he’ll have a number of suitors.

Any news on 2024 schedule updates
I would guess it is more likely than not they it won’t happen but a non-championship race would be at either Argentina (Autódromo Termas de Río Hondo) or somewhere in Australia. Milwaukee still has infrastructure improvements to make but is still a possibility. Nashville is making a new layout due to the Titans’ new stadium construction, but they sound optimistic they’ve created something very big with the new layout.

It doesn’t sound as though they want to say it right now but if anything gets added it would likely be at the expense of the second Indy RC race in August.

I don't see how it could be any worse. Moving it to I-40 and putting pit road in a rest area would be an improvement.
I think it’s really cool minus the super tight 4-8 complex on the back side of the bridge. If they can eliminate a section like that it would be great progress. The bridge aspect is incredible and the stadium/parking lot section isn’t bad.

Back
Top Bottom