2023 Xfinity series news

$805 Million for 7 years! Man thats a hell of a deal for NASCAR, makes me wonder what they are gonna get for the New Contract for Cup!
Also in the article I just read evey race will be available for free.

"This is the first time in Xfinity Series history that each Xfinity race will be available on free, over-the-air broadcast television, according to the news release. The races will be produced by NASCAR Productions in close collaboration with The CW."

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article277738808.html#storylink=cpy

Yeah, I checked and I can get an app for my windows desktop...I'm good. :punkrocke

It makes a person's brain explode with the possibilities. It's possible to have more stand a lone racing at different tracks, change the cars up a bit to get into the present racing world tech and attract more cross over drivers from IMSA and Europe etc.

I would imagine just like FX when NASCAR came to Fox and the NFL went to Fox, more CW stations will be added. CW has LIV golf and recently added ACC games. As long as they continue to add more sports, it will become more available.

The lack of availability is in smaller, rural markets.

Ironically, Nexstar owns The CW, and the local CW station that I don't get is also a Nexstar station. But Nexstar places it as a standard definition subchannel, available only through antenna.

I would imagine just like FX when NASCAR came to Fox and the NFL went to Fox, more CW stations will be added. CW has LIV golf and recently added ACC games. As long as they continue to add more sports, it will become more available.
After picking up a portion of the ACC package this makes for a nice regional lineup. Watching a UNC football game that leads into an Xfinity playoff race will be good for the core fan base.

Hopefully they will convince Fox and NBC to add more network televise races to the new Tv deal.
The problem with over-the-air network races is the increased possibility of conflict with whatever game is on before the race. If something else runs long, the race broadcast is delayed. There's also the possibility the local affiliates will bump Saturday races entirely for local college teams.

The lack of availability is in smaller, rural markets.

Ironically, Nexstar owns The CW, and the local CW station that I don't get is also a Nexstar station. But Nexstar places it as a standard definition subchannel, available only through antenna.

The CW isn’t alone here. If my parents put up an antenna, they might get PBS if they’re lucky. A lot of Northern New England is a dead zone for antenna TV and I imagine the same is true for a lot of other mountainous rural places.

But those people are also a small minority. 80% of the country lives in metro areas and another 10-15% live in micropolitan areas with local TV stations. Hard to find a way to appease everyone. At least there’s the free CW app option.

The problem with over-the-air network races is the increased possibility of conflict with whatever game is on before the race. If something else runs long, the race broadcast is delayed. There's also the possibility the local affiliates will bump Saturday races entirely for local college teams.
The app should be a fallback in either case.

I don't think The CW has local/regional broadcasts the way CBS, Fox and ABC do.

The part I'm excited about is that The CW's audience trends much, much younger than The Big Four. So this puts the sport in front of new eyeballs.

Thanks. I don't have much experience with that, esp. since Fox hasn't had one, and I forget it's a possibility.

I don't think I've looked at CW since maybe the last couple of seasons of the original 'Charmed'.

I watched nice, cute, pretty, blonde Supergirl:wub: when that show was on there, usually through the app ever since I moved out here, as well as a few episodes of All-American and the Crisis/Elseworlds crossover events.

The CW isn’t alone here. If my parents put up an antenna, they might get PBS if they’re lucky. A lot of Northern New England is a dead zone for antenna TV and I imagine the same is true for a lot of other mountainous rural places.

But those people are also a small minority. 80% of the country lives in metro areas and another 10-15% live in micropolitan areas with local TV stations. Hard to find a way to appease everyone. At least there’s the free CW app option.
Yeah it looks like if you have a window puter and decent web speed you are good to go if you don't have any of the other.

And in '28 we'll be able to watch stock car racing instead of the Olympics. No scheduling conflicts like NBC.

I'll be interested to see how things shake out with NASCAR and the Olympics, ESPECIALLY if the rumor I've heard recently turns out to be true.

And, if NBC ends up buying WB from Discovery in 2024 Q4 or early 2025 (which has been heavily rumored), that adds TNT and TBS to the rotation.

Honestly, streaming has been a godsend, since I can't get pick up anything except ION and PBS with an antenna.
Sometimes I lie awake in bed, thinking about problems at work, or that water damage I think is coming from the gutters, and then I say to myself,

"At least I don't have to use satellite Internet!"

Sometimes I lie awake in bed, thinking about problems at work, or that water damage I think is coming from the gutters, and then I say to myself,

"At least I don't have to use satellite Internet!"

I'd use a hotspot before I used satellite internet. Actually did just that before I moved to Nowhereville Creek where I was miraculously able to get high-speed internet.

This is genius. Win-win-win for everyone.

Fans- Whether you're cable, streaming, or antenna, at least one of those channels will work for you. This is going to help the older fan base get comfortable with streaming, and doing that and keeping it free is critical for any future TV deals where Cup may go to streaming (most likely paid).

NASCAR/Xfinity- Xfinity is no longer going to be treated as secondary to Cup in broadcast quality. I think this will be huge in bringing back stand alone weekends. Right now there's little incentive for Fox/NBC to get people tuned into Xfinity as much of their $$$ is made with Cup. With the CW only taking control of Xfinity (and a long, 7 year contract) they're going to do whatever it takes to get people to tune in. Change the schedule, increase broadcast quality, more lead-in/post-race coverage.

Sponsors/Teams- There'll be a loss of viewers for sure compared to today. But it's not going to be a massive 50%+ drop as would've happened had the series gone exclusively to a paid streaming platform. That would've been the death of value for the sponsors.

My only worry is that is this deal happening so that Cup could go to streaming exclusive on the next deal? Is that being talked about and that unnamed partner said "you need to keep Xfinity on cable/free streaming so we can put Cup on a paid streaming deal and no one else profits from any NASCAR series in regard to paid streaming except us".

The thing The CW does have is name value, even people in their 20s have heard of them too. Sure mostly for Arrow and Riverdale

My only worry is that is this deal happening so that Cup could go to streaming exclusive on the next deal? Is that being talked about and that unnamed partner said "you need to keep Xfinity on cable/free streaming so we can put Cup on a paid streaming deal and no one else profits from any NASCAR series in regard to paid streaming except us".

Definitely not for this upcoming TV deal. The most likely outcome still sounds to be FOX and NBC continuing to split the season, with Amazon taking over some of NBC’s current summer slate to put exclusively behind Prime Video.

There are a lot of recent concerns about the long-term viability of streaming-heavy packages.

Definitely not for this upcoming TV deal. The most likely outcome still sounds to be FOX and NBC continuing to split the season, with Amazon taking over some of NBC’s current summer slate to put exclusively behind Prime Video.

There are a lot of recent concerns about the long-term viability of streaming-heavy packages.
Streaming isn't the cash cow the gate keepers thought it would be, they will have to eliminate most of the competition before they can start making huge proffits if that can be achieved. I have faith in those greedy bastards.

Not sure it's true, but the rumor I heard today is that Fox is out.

Person who told me is in the know and pretty connected, but it's literally unbelievable.

Person who told me is in the know and pretty connected, but it's literally unbelievable.
No ****!, but I can believe it, FOX Sports has been phoning it in the last few years and reminds of how ESPN was their last few years, following the break up of the FOX properties , the quality of the FOX's coverage has been going down, no doubt a lot of budget cuts too.

No ****!, but I can believe it, FOX Sports has been phoning it in the last few years and reminds of how ESPN was their last few years, following the break up of the FOX properties , the quality of the FOX's coverage has been going down, no doubt a lot of budget cuts too.

I wonder if the NBC package would include simultaneous streaming on Peacock.

If this is true then I think Harvick ends up at The CW.

NASCAR's had a 20+ year relationship with Fox, they're not eager to end that. And Fox has said publicly how important the Daytona 500 is.

The second part of the rumor is that, if Fox is out, NBC will get exclusive rights to Cup.

You TV guys were so insightful about CW acquiring the rights for Xfinity, I'm all ears about what Fox is going to do or not do.

NASCAR's had a 20+ year relationship with Fox, they're not eager to end that. And Fox has said publicly how important the Daytona 500 is.

The second part of the rumor is that, if Fox is out, NBC will get exclusive rights to Cup.
That’s gonna piss off some folks

Hell, I've wanted Fox out for years. I'd be content if NBC picked up the whole Cup season. NBC gerbils not great; Fox production MUCH worse.

Back
Top Bottom