2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

CW's target demographic is roughly 14-25 year olds, so cultivating young fans is a good thing.
CW is going away from that and specifically targeting older (>50 years old) men. Indycar would fit that demographic. Not sure it's the smartest move but it ain't my money (I don't think; I'd need to ask where my 403B money is put).

Live sports is an effective way to grow and bring in more viewers. They are showing ACC football & basketball on The CW.

Was thinking of an IndyCar schedule. 10 races on NBC, 8 races on USA, 3 races on Peacock.

1 - St. Petersburg Grand Prix - NBC
Ex. - Thermal Club Challenge / Latin America Race - Peacock
2 - Nashville Indy 300 - USA
3 - Long Beach Grand Prix - USA
4 - Barber Motorsports Park - NBC
5 - Indy Grand Prix - NBC
6 - Indianapolis 500 - NBC***
7 - Detroit Grand Prix / Belle Isle(?) - NBC
8 - Road America - USA
9 - Laguna Seca - USA
10 - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - NBC
11 - Iowa 250 - NBC
12 - Iowa 250 - NBC
13 - Grand Prix of Toronto - Peacock
14 - Denver Grand Prix - NBC
15 - Chicagoland Indy 300 - Peacock
16 - Gateway 500 - USA

17 - Portland International Raceway - USA
18 - Milwaukee Mile 250 - USA
19 - Texas 500 - USA***
20 - Pocono 500 - NBC***

Red = Night Race
Bold = Double Points
*** = Triple Crown 500 Mile Championship

Back on Iracing

Back on Iracing

IndyCar needed some good offseason news. I won’t hold my breath on a console game, but it’s very good to reestablish this relationship and if they wind up producing a console game a few more years down the road it would be the cherry on top.

We might have another lawsuit in the works:

Sting Ray has more ability and potential than Pedersen, and his contract is also wayyyyy more team-friendly to Foyt. Reportedly Pedersen broke the terms of his contract anyhow. Feels like a good move forward for the team.

Sting Ray has more ability and potential than Pedersen, and his contract is also wayyyyy more team-friendly to Foyt. Reportedly Pedersen broke the terms of his contract anyhow. Feels like a good move forward for the team.
I'm not sure if I agree with that on SRR, he and Pedersen are equals more than anything. He had moments, Pedersen to be fair is driving for a Foyt team that is spinning its wheels at times. It maybe good, we'll see how it plays out.

I'm not sure if I agree with that on SRR, he and Pedersen are equals more than anything. He had moments, Pedersen to be fair is driving for a Foyt team that is spinning its wheels at times. It maybe good, we'll see how it plays out.
I don’t think either is the type to light it up at this level, but Sting Ray was more impressive in junior formulae to the point where I could see him hanging around for a few years if he’s developed properly. He’s bringing something close to 3x as much money to the team as Pedersen so hopefully Foyt can make some real headway this season.

I don’t think either is the type to light it up at this level, but Sting Ray was more impressive in junior formulae to the point where I could see him hanging around for a few years if he’s developed properly. He’s bringing something close to 3x as much money to the team as Pedersen so hopefully Foyt can make some real headway this season.
That last season in NXT really helps SRR's case, tbf.

It’s sad they can’t bring back the Freedom 100 race on Carb Day for 2025. The museum renovation looks interesting.

This would be huge along with the Pratt-Miller news:

It's honestly a lot bigger of a get if it happens. Prema's primary owner is Lawrence Stroll. Yes. That one. For all the chatter about the possibility that Honda could leave Indycar, it could just as easily be masking a shell game of badging.

I may be wrong anyways and he's sold his interest. But he is Chairman at Aston Martin, owner of the F1 team, and father of Lance Stroll.

This would be huge along with the Pratt-Miller news:

This would be an awesome addition, since they’re such a well-run program and have ties to drivers all over the globe…but I’m wondering, we’re currently up to around 27 full-time cars, which is already stretching the limits of both engine lease capacity and grid/pit road capacity. Where does it all come from? Even chassis are increasingly hard to come by, I think.

Still a Todd Ault (BitNile) company, so not really a new sponsorship, but at least the car looks nice.

DCR be a good landing spot for Jack if he winds up there.

Three-day test at the Homestead roval starting today, cars equipped with the new 2024-spec stuff minus the hybrid system itself.

It’s so annoying to me how IndyCar & Penske run their series when there’s interest for 20 races. Just a shame they can’t 1-2 more ovals and a market like Utah Motorsports Campus (Miller Motorsports Park) or Denver Street to try something new.

It’s so annoying to me how IndyCar & Penske run their series when there’s interest for 20 races. Just a shame they can’t 1-2 more ovals and a market like Utah Motorsports Campus (Miller Motorsports Park) or Denver Street to try something new.
My main issue is that the series really doesn’t do anything to provide fans with a sort of roadmap or vision for the future. Pretty much any other major racing series can tell you theirs. Hopefully come St. Pete weekend there’s something positive to point to. If F1 keep looking like a band of jabronies - and that looks likely - it would be a good time to make some waves.

My main issue is that the series really doesn’t do anything to provide fans with a sort of roadmap or vision for the future. Pretty much any other major racing series can tell you theirs. Hopefully come St. Pete weekend there’s something positive to point to. If F1 keep looking like a band of jabronies - and that looks likely - it would be a good time to make some waves.

I feel like IndyCar in general does a piss poor job of some things compared to NASCAR. They could get a bigger TV deal, a 20 race schedule if they wanted to, some of the top tier drivers could get promoted more.

I also find the Month of May to be a bit dull now that they dropped the Freedom 100 Indy NXT race. That was the classic race of the Indy Lights schedule on Friday of Carb Day & Penske Entertainment claimed costs while they still run other ovals.

I feel like IndyCar in general does a piss poor job of some things compared to NASCAR. They could get a bigger TV deal, a 20 race schedule if they wanted to, some of the top tier drivers could get promoted more.

I also find the Month of May to be a bit dull now that they dropped the Freedom 100 Indy NXT race. That was the classic race of the Indy Lights schedule on Friday of Carb Day & Penske Entertainment claimed costs while they still run other ovals.
The media rights market has tightened up so much over the last year or so I’m not sure they’ll get much of an increase, if any. I can’t disagree that their marketing and promotion is a joke - it has been for many years now. A lot of their marketing campaigns were so bad they were embarrassing (#INDYRIVALS, DEFY EVERYTHING).

The Freedom 100 was fun but also a major deterrent to the rest of the championship because of how many cars were being written off and how risk-averse drivers were to running a season with it. NXT in general is as healthy as it’s been in many years right now, and it makes more sense for younger drivers to learn high speed ovals in an actual Indy car once they reach the top level, which has more safety features than an NXT car. Nor do team owners lose a car or two each May.

The media rights market has tightened up so much over the last year or so I’m not sure they’ll get much of an increase, if any. I can’t disagree that their marketing and promotion is a joke - it has been for many years now. A lot of their marketing campaigns were so bad they were embarrassing (#INDYRIVALS, DEFY EVERYTHING).

The Freedom 100 was fun but also a major deterrent to the rest of the championship because of how many cars were being written off and how risk-averse drivers were to running a season with it. NXT in general is as healthy as it’s been in many years right now, and it makes more sense for younger drivers to learn high speed ovals in an actual Indy car once they reach the top level, which has more safety features than an NXT car. Nor do team owners lose a car or two each May.

I dunno. I get IndyCar needs a healthy NXT series but the Freedom 100 was arguably better than the Indianapolis 500. More room to move around the facility, shorter attention span crowd, epic finishes, etc.

It won't happen this year but eventually NASCAR drivers doing the Double will come back with on-track hybrid experience. Their comments may be interesting.

Whenever the hybrid winds up coming on line, drivers should be able to engage the standard turbo-based P2P and new ERS independently or combined - ultimately offering ~850hp at peak power.

Most likely rumored debut race right now is Mid-Ohio at the beginning of July.

Ganassi Racing leaving Extreme E.

Ganassi Racing leaving Extreme E.
Elizabeth Blackstock's husband was mouthing off online about them basically trying to ramp up doing bigger scale autocross/Stadium Super Trucks stuff along with the shift to hydrogen propulsion. What they're doing now - where they're running events in the middle of the Saudi Desert or Greenland - is so stupid. There's literally no live audience for most of what they do and there is no way whatsoever that a spec racing series with cars that aren't from a real manufacturer trying to recoup costs on TV deals is gonna work. At least doing some Mickey Thompson Stadium show stuff gives them a chance at getting people to see it and promote in cities, but I'm sure the FIA will screw that up too.

Back
Top Bottom