2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

Interesting:

Should make for a good finale.

Oh, wow. In hindsight it would’ve been really difficult to pull off the event with all the construction, even despite a new layout.

Put up or shut up time for oval fans…championship event near an important market, this needs to be packed to the brim. NSS didn’t have the best reputation for open wheel racing in the 2000’s; hopefully Firestone puts a lot of work into a specific tire for this event. Very much a unique surface for the series.

I find it interesting how all the major racing series in the last decade are trying to get new street courses going... but most are done after a few seasons.

Politics always a major part of it. These street races are a MAJOR headache for local citizens. As much as I enjoyed the Baltimore race, it was not very popular with a lot of locals.

NASCAR should think about making their street race one that travels to differnet locations each year once the Chicago deal comes to an end.

Politics always a major part of it. These street races are a MAJOR headache for local citizens. As much as I enjoyed the Baltimore race, it was not very popular with a lot of locals.

NASCAR should think about making their street race one that travels to differnet locations each year once the Chicago deal comes to an end.
Doesn't that make it harder, having to figure out new logistics every year, find new local partners, etc?

I find it interesting how all the major racing series in the last decade are trying to get new street courses going... but most are done after a few seasons.
In this case they’re getting pushed out because of the stadium construction…sounds kind of embarrassing, really, how the promoter pushed ahead with the plan for a redesigned course without a full grasp of how the construction was going to disrupt the area and not considering whether there would actually be adequate space for paddocks, etc. Borchetta bought out the remaining partners and fired a bunch of other folks, and said there is really no way of returning until the new place is ready for fall of ‘27.

FOX is reportedly making a real push for the next set of IndyCar TV rights.

There are some ways in which it makes sense - FOX is losing the Coke 600 and could essentially replace it with the Indy 500, and IndyCar could be well-served with a regular presence on Race Hub. Otherwise, it’s hard to get over how poor and cartoonish their NASCAR productions have gotten in recent years. Unless they are the only ones offering significant finances it would be kinda hard to get excited about it.

There are some ways in which it makes sense - FOX is losing the Coke 600 and could essentially replace it with the Indy 500, and IndyCar could be well-served with a regular presence on Race Hub. Otherwise, it’s hard to get over how poor and cartoonish their NASCAR productions have gotten in recent years. Unless they are the only ones offering significant finances it would be kinda hard to get excited about it.

Oh goody, can’t wait for Adam Alexander to call IndyCar races on FOX Sports.

In all seriousness, more bidders for IndyCar is a good thing.

Looks like a lot less conflict/overlap with NASCAR events this year than last, especially against Cup. The major caveat being the Nashville finale starting the same time as the playoff race at Watkins Glen.

IMG_1976.jpeg

Looks like a lot less conflict/overlap with NASCAR events this year than last, especially against Cup. The major caveat being the Nashville finale starting the same time as the playoff race at Watkins Glen.

View attachment 77026
You know with the Nashville change it almost is like road season and oval season. Just how the schedule plays out

Nice schedule lined up. I truly hope IndyCar will find an oval or two before the Indy 500 one of these years again, I enjoyed the Texas races.

View attachment 77026

I like the move to Nashville Superspeedway. Hopefully it is 300 miles. Another oval & road course wouldn’t hurt either.

I have a feeling this will make me miss ABC's god awful coverage.

I have a feeling this will make me miss ABC's god awful coverage.

ABC/ESPN & NBC Sports has been pretty decent coverage.

I think they should have Adam Alexander or Allen Bestwick as lead announcer calling IndyCar on FOX/FS1/FS2. Would have to think of color commentators.

IndyCar really needs to hone in on having a good TV deal for the teams.

Whether it be on NBC/USA/Peacock, ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN+, or FOX/FS1/FS2, or The CW.

ABC/ESPN & NBC Sports has been pretty decent coverage.

I think they should have Adam Alexander or Allen Bestwick as lead announcer calling IndyCar on FOX/FS1/FS2. Would have to think of color commentators.

IndyCar really needs to hone in on having a good TV deal for the teams.

Whether it be on NBC/USA/Peacock, ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN+, or FOX/FS1/FS2, or The CW.

I have a gut feeling most of the races would end up on FS1 or FS2. Fox's strategy seems to be to load up on motorsports to prop up their cable networks. There's A LOT more FS2 on NHRA's schedule this year.

The NBC deal is perfect for fans and exposure. Most of the schedule is on NBC and EVERY race is available on Peacock.

I can't even imagine what pre-race ceremonies and all that would look like for the Indy 500 on Fox. ABC and NBC have always treated the race with reverence. We've seen what Fox has done to the Daytona 500.

I have a gut feeling most of the races would end up on FS1 or FS2. Fox's strategy seems to be to load up on motorsports to prop up their cable networks. There's A LOT more FS2 on NHRA's schedule this year.

The NBC deal is perfect for fans and exposure. Most of the schedule is on NBC and EVERY race is available on Peacock.

I can't even imagine what pre-race ceremonies and all that would look like for the Indy 500 on Fox. ABC and NBC have always treated the race with reverence. We've seen what Fox has done to the Daytona 500.

I have FS2 with our Hulu streaming, but it seems like an expensive useless channel sometimes.

I’m no fan of Peacock, but I think the current TV deal is acceptable.

I don’t think sporting events should have anything more than Amazon Prime, ESPN+, Peacock, Fox Sports App, etc as more than supplemental coverage/some college and occasional games/races. I think they are pricing fans out.

Fox has no respect for motorsports. Their broadcasts give me the impression they think the audience is nothing but toothless 12-toed goobers watching on set next to the still, sitting on old SUV bench seats, arguing during stage breaks whether to grill possum or coon.

I have FS2 with our Hulu streaming, but it seems like an expensive useless channel sometimes.

I’m no fan of Peacock, but I think the current TV deal is acceptable.

I don’t think sporting events should have anything more than Amazon Prime, ESPN+, Peacock, Fox Sports App, etc as more than supplemental coverage/some college and occasional games/races. I think they are pricing fans out.

FS2 has a ton of motorsports programming because a lot of racing coverage gets pushed there by basketball and baseball.

Would have been the perfect weekend for IndyCar to start a 20-21 race schedule with the way NASCAR & the teams don’t want a 1 hour practice shakedown every weekend in each series minimum. 😡

I like the move to Nashville Superspeedway. Hopefully it is 300 miles. Another oval & road course wouldn’t hurt either.
Showing as 200 laps right now, which is what it was in the 2000’s iirc. Would like to see more like 225 or 250 for a championship race.

Showing as 200 laps right now, which is what it was in the 2000’s iirc. Would like to see more like 225 or 250 for a championship race.

I agree. 225 laps/300 miles would be cool considering the Xfinity race is now 188 laps/250 miles & Cup race is 300 laps/400 miles.

Back
Top Bottom