2024 NASCAR Schedules

Pretty easy to check the weather reports for dif locations for the last 10 years and see which have weather in Nov that would ruin the race. Wherever it is, no sport wants to hype up a Championship that gets delayed till Tuesday at 10am.

I'm still holding on to the notion there will be no dirt race at Bristol next year. They started promoting this year's race right after last year's dirt race. Not this year, no mention of a dirt race in 2024. A second Bristol date may go the way of the do-do bird before long.

I'm still holding on to the notion there will be no dirt race at Bristol next year. They started promoting this year's race right after last year's dirt race. Not this year, no mention of a dirt race in 2024. A second Bristol date may go the way of the do-do bird before long.

Agree with all accounts. The race fan in me wants 2 races a year at Bristol, but as far as what's best for the track, I think just the night race is fine. With Fox and NASCAR's relationship likely coming to a close, I doubt Fox really pushed NASCAR/SMI to do dirt again next year, especially with it not being the huge ratings Fox was hoping for. Or perhaps NASCAR and SMI said "no" to dirt... specialized parts, a massive time/labor cost for setup/takedown, and it did nothing to move the needle on attendance.

I also think the Bristol night race needs to go back to late August, maybe even make it the last race before the playoffs instead of Daytona. Bristol is only 2 hours from the University of Tennessee. Their football program seems to be good again and most likely will effect attendance there. I know they had a home game against a bad team and the NBC people were crowing about the size of the crowds at both venues. But this year, their game at Florida has been announced as a 7:00 game. It could be the same next year except with a home game. Around here, the fans and the media are totally locked in to UT football once the season starts. None of our stations even talked about Bristol last September.

I also think the Bristol night race needs to go back to late August, maybe even make it the last race before the playoffs instead of Daytona. Bristol is only 2 hours from the University of Tennessee. Their football program seems to be good again and most likely will effect attendance there. I know they had a home game against a bad team and the NBC people were crowing about the size of the crowds at both venues. But this year, their game at Florida has been announced as a 7:00 game. It could be the same next year except with a home game. Around here, the fans and the media are totally locked in to UT football once the season starts. None of our stations even talked about Bristol last September.

Agreed. Bristol switching to September was an awful idea. The night race has been in August since the 70s

This is a pretty rad idea, I hope it happens as Id probably try to attend a game

The Carolina Panthers had to play their first season somewhere while their stadium was built. They first contacted the Univ. of South Carolina. Columbia SC had a convenient airport for visiting teams, and it was an easy interstate drive from Charlotte to Columbia. The AD was notoriously paranoid about any other level of sports drawing attention away from the school's teams, and he told them no.

The Panthers then contacted Clemson, U. of S. Carolina's long-time rival. The Tigers opened their arms wide. They replaced half the orange 'Tiger Paw' banners around the stadium with blue Panther ones. Ditto the large pawprints painted on the incoming roads.

The Columbia chamber of commerce and tourism board were livid. I imagine Daytona Beach would feel the same way.

The Carolina Panthers had to play their first season somewhere while their stadium was built. They first contacted the Univ. of South Carolina. Columbia SC had a convenient airport for visiting teams, and it was an easy interstate drive from Charlotte to Columbia. The AD was notoriously paranoid about any other level of sports drawing attention away from the school's teams, and he told them no.

The Panthers then contacted Clemson, U. of S. Carolina's long-time rival. The Tigers opened their arms wide. They replaced half the orange 'Tiger Paw' banners around the stadium with blue Panther ones. Ditto the large pawprints painted on the incoming roads.

The Columbia chamber of commerce and tourism board were livid. I imagine Daytona Beach would feel the same way.
The city of Jacksonville wants to keep the team in the city. But North Florida and the minor league ballpark are way too small.

Daytona is better than playing in Orlando.

I imagine they’ll end up playing at The Swamp in Gainesville with three games (2 home, 1 away) in London, but this would be cool.
Traveling between Gainesville and Jacksonville sucks. Orlando is a longer drive but a better one and has all the requisite accommodations and whatnot befitting of the NFL. I just can’t see the modern NFL wanting a team housed in Hogtown for a couple of years. It’s a college town through and through.

The Citrus Bowl is also a much nicer stadium after the renovations. 10-15 years it would be a nonstarter as that place was an absolute dump.

Traveling between Gainesville and Jacksonville sucks. Orlando is a longer drive but a better one and has all the requisite accommodations and whatnot befitting of the NFL. I just can’t see the modern NFL wanting a team housed in Hogtown for a couple of years. It’s a college town through and through.

The Citrus Bowl is also a much nicer stadium after the renovations. 10-15 years it would be a nonstarter as that place was an absolute dump.
I’d be surprised if the Jags were going to play in any other city in Florida other than Orlando. Daytona would be incredibly cool, but everything about Orlando is nicer.

Jordan Bianchi said on his podcast with Jeff Gluck tonight that his sources are pretty confident Bristol Dirt won't be back and if it is back it won't be on Easter. That said they are fairly confident there will still be a race that day, but would not say where.

Jordan Bianchi said on his podcast with Jeff Gluck tonight that his sources are pretty confident Bristol Dirt won't be back and if it is back it won't be on Easter. That said they are fairly confident there will still be a race that day, but would not say where.
Easter can fall any time in a five-week window. It happened to align with Bristol this year, but Bristol could be left at the same calendar date for years without it being on Easter weekend again. Easter is going to align with some track's weekend unless NASCAR returns to not racing that weekend.

Should really be a Saturday night race somewhere not in the Bible Belt.

Easter is as important as Christmas.

I just can’t see the modern NFL wanting a team housed in Hogtown for a couple of years. It’s a college town through and through.
That's what they said about the Panthers at Clemson but it went well. Of course, U. of S. Carolina might have gone just as well or better, given the chance. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why Daytona is the first choice, same as with Columbia.

That's what they said about the Panthers at Clemson but it went well. Of course, U. of S. Carolina might have gone just as well or better, given the chance. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why Daytona is the first choice, same as with Columbia.
NFL stadiums are flashier than ever now though, with more of a focus on premium and luxury seating than raw capacity. Does the league want the Jaguars playing in a place with a capacity of 90k+ or somewhere with nicer and better amenities and arrangements, and a lower overall capacity?

Daytona would also require a lot of infrastructure to build proper seating up around the field. The total grandstand capacity from turn 4 exit to turn 1 entry is 101k. Pit road alone is over four football fields long. There’s very little in the way of good football viewing in the tri-oval area. Fans being far away from the field and a substantial amount of open air doesn’t make for a good football environment. At least Bristol was smaller and bowl shaped, but while the atmosphere was great for one night a lot of the sightlines were still pretty poor. It is a decent novelty but I don’t think you want to do it week in and week out. At that point you pretty much need to build up a significant temporary stadium within the tri-oval itself.

NFL stadiums are flashier than ever now though, with more of a focus on premium and luxury seating than raw capacity. Does the league want the Jaguars playing in a place with a capacity of 90k+ or somewhere with nicer and better amenities and arrangements, and a lower overall capacity?

Daytona would also require a lot of infrastructure to build proper seating up around the field. The total grandstand capacity from turn 4 exit to turn 1 entry is 101k. Pit road alone is over four football fields long. There’s very little in the way of good football viewing in the tri-oval area. Fans being far away from the field and a substantial amount of open air doesn’t make for a good football environment. At least Bristol was smaller and bowl shaped, but while the atmosphere was great for one night a lot of the sightlines were still pretty poor. It is a decent novelty but I don’t think you want to do it week in and week out. At that point you pretty much need to build up a significant temporary stadium within the tri-oval itself.
They could probably make it work, but I just see a fiasco with scheduling.

Forget the summer race, what about January? And I'm sure someone's gonna roll off the cutesy little "it's the Jags they don't play football in January" crap, but they literally just hosted a home playoff game this past season.

27-0.

I still think they'll end up at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando or The Swamp in Gainesville.

But it seems a lot of the experts would rather it go to Daytona for logistical reasons.

Stupid question but I can't seem to find an answer. Is the stadium that hosts the Citrus Bowl used for sports other than the bowl game? Is it home to a college team, or maybe a soccer team?

XFL has a team there, but that's all I can find. Central Florida plays on a stadium on campus.

XFL has a team there, but that's all I can find. Central Florida plays on a stadium on campus.
I think not having a major permanent tenant would be a positive if they decided to go there. The Jags could have pretty much unlimited branding on and around the stadium for the duration of football season and would be the biggest show in town.

Easter can fall any time in a five-week window. It happened to align with Bristol this year, but Bristol could be left at the same calendar date for years without it being on Easter weekend again. Easter is going to align with some track's weekend unless NASCAR returns to not racing that weekend.
Easter fell on two separate weekends the last two years. I believe they did that purposefully for TV purposes. Holidays are a big TV boost for sports, especially since out of home viewing is counted now.

Bianchi did a mailbag earlier this week and said NWS could definitely become the Easter weekend race while there’s movement behind both Indy and the fall Charlotte race to move back to the ovals.

I don't think Bristol dirt is coming back in 2024, which I'm fine with. When you don't have purposely built dirt cars race on dirt, it's kind of a cluster****.

The dirt idea was pushed by the Reddit and Twitter users of the world. It's another example of NASCAR listening to online fans and getting it wrong.

The dirt idea was pushed by the Reddit and Twitter users of the world. It's another example of NASCAR listening to online fans and getting it wrong.
I guess years previous when they had The World of Outlaws at Bristol they forgot and it was a new idea to have a Nascar race there.

Back
Top Bottom