2024 Next Gen Car

Tyler Reddick says the NextGen car needs at least 1,000 HP to make a noticeable difference from the current engine limitations.

Probably noticed, I infrequently comment here anymore. Because of things just like this. Couldn't be more obvious but some refuse to reason it out. Or can't...off to move stuff in the shed...
We have soldiered on in your absence.

It wasn’t difficult. .

Probably noticed, I infrequently comment here anymore. Because of things just like this. Couldn't be more obvious but some refuse to reason it out. Or can't...off to move stuff in the shed...
Welcome back.....and hope to see you soon,

Tyler Reddick says the NextGen car needs at least 1,000 HP to make a noticeable difference from the current engine limitations.

He's probably right. I've beat this dead horse for awhile, but why NASCAR doesn't have different compounds is beyond me. That's likely what we need, the ability to go soft-medium-hard would fix a lot in all honesty.

Interesting. The VP of engines at ECR was saying on a clip from Sirius that 750 HP was no problem for sealed engines and in the time between reading it and posting it on here the tweet disappeared.

Well that sure as hell isn’t happening, but there’s no reason they can’t at least test 750. I think it’s three different engine builders have said now 750 would hardly be an issue, but NASCAR doesn’t want to talk about it for whatever reason. Maybe these cars do have too much inherent mechanical grip and drag for that to make much of a difference, but you won’t know for sure until you try.

It's back

I don't understand why we don't do this just from an awesomeness/marketing standpoint. The only ones of that speed you can buy outside of the foreign luxury brands are the SRT Hellcat Redeye series from Dodge, along with the TRX Ram. Even then, those are all supercharged V8's with high octane fuel.

750 HP of pure power without turbo or supercharging is just plain awesome. I do wince at people overall hating on this car, while it's not as wild on short tracks/road courses, the racing is incredibly better at the 1 mile and up tracks. Also the car itself looks considerably better

Well that sure as hell isn’t happening, but there’s no reason they can’t at least test 750. I think it’s three different engine builders have said now 750 would hardly be an issue, but NASCAR doesn’t want to talk about it for whatever reason. Maybe these cars do have too much inherent mechanical grip and drag for that to make much of a difference, but you won’t know for sure until you try.
When they tested at the 670 level their wasn't much difference according to the article.

It's only a 20% increase in power. That's not a lot for an engine to be honest and I think it would be most noticeable on shifts & in the lower gears.

I don't think the engine is actually the biggest concern when jumping up in hp. To me it drivetrain, in particular the transaxle. Yes I'm sure it could handle the power, but I think it would significantly reduce the time between rebuilds and it sounds like that process is already maxed out with the current manufactures.

Listening to Todd Gordon the other night I can't believe as part of this test they haven't tried narrower tires. I guess with the aluminum wheels and drive pins teams are not getting anywhere near a full season on a set of wheels so requiring them to buy new wheels for a skinny tire would be relatively small costs. You could alter the wheel offset so when the tires were on the car it would not appear visually different than current tire.

Listening to Todd Gordon the other night I can't believe as part of this test they haven't tried narrower tires. I guess with the aluminum wheels and drive pins teams are not getting anywhere near a full season on a set of wheels so requiring them to buy new wheels for a skinny tire would be relatively small costs. You could alter the wheel offset so when the tires were on the car it would not appear visually different than current tire.
Which set of wheels?

Set 1? Set 11? Set 20?

How many wheels do 4 car teams bring to the track for a race?

How many wheels do 4 car teams bring to the track for a race?
No idea? 12 sets a car? The point is they can't get anywhere near a full season on a set so replacing them with a narrower wheel wouldn't be a huge additional expense.

How long do the wheels last?
Like I said less than a season. The way he was talking the steel wheels they could sometimes get 2 seasons out of them. The way he made it sound they don't even get a half season with the aluminum ones

Not sure if this will work?

nascar next gen brake rotors​

$2
Listed 2 days ago in Albemarle, NC

1702857395072.png

I’m sure the naysayers will say otherwise but the lack of a decent HP package has killed my enthusiasm for the season. They could have a 900-1000 for the short tracks & road courses and 670-750 for the intermediates & Daytona/Talladega/Atlanta what they are.

^Yep, same old, same old. Racing shines in the boom times and suffers in the down years. With the novelty of the NextGen car wearing off, it'll take more than new aero parts to get the average fan excited.

Chevy may have the most downforce and Ford the least drag, but it's the set up and compromise at a specific track that tells the tale. There is still a very interesting engineering exercise here. What is interesting to me is that while Chevy has the most downforce, they have a history of poles at Daytona with the Camaro.

Here are some other notable numbers from the first three races:

• Atlanta Motor Speedway was the third-closest finish in Cup Series history at .003 seconds. However, it was the closest margin in Cup Series history between first place (Suarez) and third place (Busch) at .007 seconds.
  • There have been 407 green flag passes for the race lead, the most through the first three races of the year since the statistic started in 2005.
  • There have been 28 different lap leaders, the second-largest number of lap leaders through the first three races in a season in the modern era (1972-2024).
  • The Cup Series is averaging 37.7 lead changes per race, the second-most in the modern era.
  • The first three races have produced 23,027 green flag passes, the most through the first three races of the year since that statistic began in 2005.

On the championship point standings side, three races have produced three different leaders (Byron, Busch, Larson). It’s the first time since the 2017 season there have been three different point leaders through the first three races.

Here are some other notable numbers from the first three races:

• Atlanta Motor Speedway was the third-closest finish in Cup Series history at .003 seconds. However, it was the closest margin in Cup Series history between first place (Suarez) and third place (Busch) at .007 seconds.
  • There have been 407 green flag passes for the race lead, the most through the first three races of the year since the statistic started in 2005.
  • There have been 28 different lap leaders, the second-largest number of lap leaders through the first three races in a season in the modern era (1972-2024).
  • The Cup Series is averaging 37.7 lead changes per race, the second-most in the modern era.
  • The first three races have produced 23,027 green flag passes, the most through the first three races of the year since that statistic began in 2005.

On the championship point standings side, three races have produced three different leaders (Byron, Busch, Larson). It’s the first time since the 2017 season there have been three different point leaders through the first three races.

I hate the term "great racing." I think every race is great. I don't give a **** about anybody's opinion about that.....Having said that, if you hate this season....in the words of the once great KFB...."Don't even watch!"

I’m sure the naysayers will say otherwise but the lack of a decent HP package has killed my enthusiasm for the season. They could have a 900-1000 for the short tracks & road courses and 670-750 for the intermediates & Daytona/Talladega/Atlanta what they are.

That’s weird. The racing is pretty good, short tracks are meh right now but other than that it’s an entertaining series

Back
Top Bottom