2024 Next Gen Car

Here are some other notable numbers from the first three races:

• Atlanta Motor Speedway was the third-closest finish in Cup Series history at .003 seconds. However, it was the closest margin in Cup Series history between first place (Suarez) and third place (Busch) at .007 seconds.
  • There have been 407 green flag passes for the race lead, the most through the first three races of the year since the statistic started in 2005.
  • There have been 28 different lap leaders, the second-largest number of lap leaders through the first three races in a season in the modern era (1972-2024).
  • The Cup Series is averaging 37.7 lead changes per race, the second-most in the modern era.
  • The first three races have produced 23,027 green flag passes, the most through the first three races of the year since that statistic began in 2005.

On the championship point standings side, three races have produced three different leaders (Byron, Busch, Larson). It’s the first time since the 2017 season there have been three different point leaders through the first three races.
Well enough, but don't you think those numbers are somewhat skewed by the fact that two of the first three races were "plate" races?

Is NASCAR still awarding trophies, prize money, points and a ticket to the playoffs to winners of “plate” races?
But Kyle Busch once told us that it wasn't real racing.

Chevy may have the most downforce and Ford the least drag, but it's the set up and compromise at a specific track that tells the tale. There is still a very interesting engineering exercise here. What is interesting to me is that while Chevy has the most downforce, they have a history of poles at Daytona with the Camaro.

Interesting excuses.

Is NASCAR still awarding trophies, prize money, points and a ticket to the playoffs to winners of “plate” races?
Well, let's just run Daytona, Talladega and Atlanta twelve times each and cancel all the other races so we can set a record for passes and lead changes that will NEVER be surpassed.

Well, let's just run Daytona, Talladega and Atlanta twelve times each and cancel all the other races so we can set a record for passes and lead changes that will NEVER be surpassed.
Or we could get a government grant to fund an educational program to teach underprivileged children that a record number of passes and lead changes doesn't automatically equal 'great racing'.

And another to teach them to not use run-on sentences.

I just don't understand why they can't at least test some of this stuff if for nothing more than to prove that its not the solution.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

^It's an improvement compared to the 550 HP version of the previous car, which isn't saying much. The cars are way too easy to drive now on all tracks, except the technical road courses.

^It's an improvement compared to the 550 HP version of the previous car, which isn't saying much. The cars are way too easy to drive now on all tracks, except the technical road courses.

Nah, the symmetrical nature of it makes it more difficult on all larger tracks. On short tracks shifting allows for a bailout if you overdrive the corner, same for road courses. That’s the part that sucks to a degree. IMO road course races are way too long anyways, Indy and F1 race considerably fewer laps. That would bring more intensity and strategy in for sure.

I think a lot of the problem is we used to build a car around the tires, now we build the tires to the car. Hell of a spot to put Goodyear in. I’ve said this for years, NASCAR needs a soft and hard compound tire ultimately.

Take Bristol for example, you get 10 sets of tires. Let’s say we do 7 hard and 3 soft. That’d open up a lot more passing thru the race and introduce some wild strategy

Nah, the symmetrical nature of it makes it more difficult on all larger tracks. On short tracks shifting allows for a bailout if you overdrive the corner, same for road courses. That’s the part that sucks to a degree. IMO road course races are way too long anyways, Indy and F1 race considerably fewer laps. That would bring more intensity and strategy in for sure.
Lots of people shifting every lap on short tracks … because it REDUCES LAP TIMES.

Hell, just run the rain tires.
I think a lot of the problem is we used to build a car around the tires, now we build the tires to the car. Hell of a spot to put Goodyear in. I’ve said this for years, NASCAR needs a soft and hard compound tire ultimately.

Take Bristol for example, you get 10 sets of tires. Let’s say we do 7 hard and 3 soft. That’d open up a lot more passing thru the race and introduce some wild strategy
Nice to see the NASCAR competition department lurks here. :D

I've never liked forcing teams to use different tire compounds or styles. I have no objection to having different tires available, I just don't like mandating their use. Let teams choose what they want to use.

But it's the All-Star so I won't be watching anyway.

Makes sense. They use the rain tire mold but with a different compound. Super conservative as usual. I'd like to see the individual teams order how many sets of each they want to run and set up the car accordingly.

Makes sense. They use the rain tire mold but with a different compound. Super conservative as usual. I'd like to see the individual teams order how many sets of each they want to run and set up the car accordingly.
That's wrong above. They are going to use the rain tire compound also.

=IF= it does, I'm sure the number of lugs has little to nothing to do with it.
Never said it did. Just referencing the previously most recent Nascar race cars so as not to befuddle readers, but apparently it did.

Jones hit the wall wide open at 180 very similar to how Dale Earnhardt did the same. Eric Jones walked away.

Jones walked away with a broken vertebrae in his lower back that landed him in the Hospital and out of the car for untold races.

This car cripples you every chance it gets.

Never said it did. Just referencing the previously most recent Nascar race cars so as not to befuddle readers, but apparently it did.

Jones walked away with a broken vertebrae in his lower back that landed him in the Hospital and out of the car for untold races.

This car cripples you every chance it gets.
Oh the drama.

This car takes a lot of ****, and it's unjust. Take a quasi-spec car, tie down the motors, and put it in the driver's hands they said.....so they did just that.....and then with SMT, you can even make the drivers pretty close to the same.....and we struggle to understand why passing is so difficult. The car is doing what it is supposed to do, the motors are the same, and the drivers don't have any secrets anymore. A first grader could know what to expect from that formula.....but I am okay with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season--just as I have every ****** season. This is a great sport.

This car takes a lot of ****, and it's unjust. Take a quasi-spec car, tie down the motors, and put it in the driver's hands they said.....so they did just that.....and then with SMT, you can even make the drivers pretty close to the same.....and we struggle to understand why passing is so difficult. The car is doing what it is supposed to do, the motors are the same, and the drivers don't have any secrets anymore. A first grader could know what to expect from that formula.....but I am okay with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season--just as I have every ****** season. This is a great sport.
It's difficult to pass because when a car gets behind another, the over body air is being blocked, which means the downforce on the nose is significantly less reduce. And the air from the lead car gets underneath the splitter and creates lift on the nose, and takes the car out of the track

Guys struggle passing because when they're in another car's wake, their getting aero lift and less downforce. Tires aren't wearing that much and off throttle time is less significant.

The racing is okay in some places, but the car deserves all the complaints it's getting him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom