2024 Next Gen Car

It's difficult to pass because when a car gets behind another, the over body air is being blocked, which means the downforce on the nose is significantly less reduce. And the air from the lead car gets underneath the splitter and creates lift on the nose, and takes the car out of the track

Guys struggle passing because when they're in another car's wake, their getting aero lift and less downforce. Tires aren't wearing that much and off throttle time is less significant.

The racing is okay in some places, but the car deserves all the complaints it's getting him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I agree with all of the aero stuff, but categorically disagree with the last statement. Everything is as close to the same as you can get without being full spec. In order for a car to pass, it has to have an advantage somewhere. NASCAR's new direction of working on the tires makes sense, but you are asking a lot to have Goodyear "fix" all of the racing. We hear so much about parity, but when we get it, we bitch. What other racing series in the world has the aero thing handled?

This car takes a lot of ****, and it's unjust. Take a quasi-spec car, tie down the motors, and put it in the driver's hands they said.....so they did just that.....and then with SMT, you can even make the drivers pretty close to the same.....and we struggle to understand why passing is so difficult. The car is doing what it is supposed to do, the motors are the same, and the drivers don't have any secrets anymore. A first grader could know what to expect from that formula.....but I am okay with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season--just as I have every ****** season. This is a great sport.

IROC cars all.

If the cars start becoming too aero sensitive for the 1.5-mile tracks, the car will be considered a failure long term. So far, it's been good on those types of tracks. It has stunk on the short tracks and I supposed to jury is still out on the road courses. A spec car might be good in theory, but bad in reality.

Reactions: sdj
It's difficult to pass because when a car gets behind another, the over body air is being blocked, which means the downforce on the nose is significantly less reduce. And the air from the lead car gets underneath the splitter and creates lift on the nose, and takes the car out of the track

Guys struggle passing because when they're in another car's wake, their getting aero lift and less downforce. Tires aren't wearing that much and off throttle time is less significant.

The racing is okay in some places, but the car deserves all the complaints it's getting him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sounds like a Gen 6, Gen 5, Gen 4, Gen 3, etc. kind of problem.

It’s solvable to a point … slow the cars down. If there’s another solution, I’d like to hear it.

They've already slowed down the cars. They're running around 650 HP when they could be running 850+.
Compare qualifying and best race laps year over year.

Velocity is the most significant element in every equation used to calculate drag and downforce numbers.

NASCAR needs to do A LOT more testing with the NextGen car to make changes for next year. Weather it be the tire compounds, the size of the tires themselves, aero changes or a different engine package (tapered spacer size), something radical has to be done to make passing at superspeedway and short tracks possible again and to make the cars be able to slide around more on the 1.5 milers.

I've never liked forcing teams to use different tire compounds or styles. I have no objection to having different tires available, I just don't like mandating their use. Let teams choose what they want to use.

But it's the All-Star so I won't be watching anyway.
It’s a live tire test essentially, I’d look at it as more of trying to get a sense of direction to take the short track tires in under the same track conditions and seeing how the compounds hold up against one another. If the soft compound works well it could be the way forward to solving short track shortcomings.

This. Science made the sport, and then "killed' it in the eyes of some. Maybe those who feel that way should move on?
But they live to not except what is, but to whine about some imaginary something somewhere. It is always better somewhere but not here. 😁

This little snippet is in regard to intermediate tracks. A place where the new car has shined. The complaints come from the lack of action on the superspeedways and the beloved short tracks. (road courses are just an over-played gimmick in the Cup series so they don't count)
What tracks draw the most fans and ratings year after year? It isn't the 2 short tracks.
What track size is raced on the most in Nascar? Hint: it isn't short tracks.

Hint. If I was a short track pavement lover, I would invest in a Flo subscription. They have all of the C.A.R.S series and the big Snowball Derby. The Mods etc. Those are the people who are trying to make a living racing on short tracks.

It’s a live tire test essentially, I’d look at it as more of trying to get a sense of direction to take the short track tires in under the same track conditions and seeing how the compounds hold up against one another. If the soft compound works well it could be the way forward to solving short track shortcomings.
No problem as long as it doesn't result in mandatory multiple compounds in points races.

What tracks draw the most fans and ratings year after year? It isn't the 2 short tracks.
What track size is raced on the most in Nascar? Hint: it isn't short tracks.

Hint. If I was a short track pavement lover, I would invest in a Flo subscription. They have all of the C.A.R.S series and the big Snowball Derby. The Mods etc. Those are the people who are trying to make a living racing on short tracks.
I'm sure you understand that the complaints aren't coming from just grumpy old fans. Industry leaders across the board are vocally airing their complaints about the need to do something now to improve the product at the superspeedways and short tracks.

Your reply makes no sense to me. Bristol has 45,000 more seats than Daytona. 45,000! Every one of those seats (plus 15,000 more) were filled for years on end. In the last couple of years, the product has gone from mediocre to bad. We all have the right to be concerned about that.

I'm sure you understand that the complaints aren't coming from just grumpy old fans. Industry leaders across the board are vocally airing their complaints about the need to do something now to improve the product at the superspeedways and short tracks.

Your reply makes no sense to me. Bristol has 45,000 more seats than Daytona. 45,000! Every one of those seats (plus 15,000 more) were filled for years on end. In the last couple of years, the product has gone from mediocre to bad. We all have the right to be concerned about that.
Ancient history. Bristol hasn't been close to filling those seats in years and years. Times change ol' timer. Living in the past instead of the current reality is a choice.

If you are naive enough to think that after the yotas showed a way around fuel mileage at the big tracks, again that is your choice. It failed because they couldn't run a straight line, but don't think the other teams saw what was about to happen. BTW the ratings were really good and the stands were full. "industry leaders" (yapping mouths) don't cash the checks. They are parasites working for click baits. They would not exist without the sport.

In the last couple of years, the product has gone from mediocre to bad. We all have the right to be concerned about that.
We do? I don't know about you, but I have no stakes in the game. I'm guessing maybe five people here are in the industry.

They have been riding around on the supers for years, saving the car, saving fuel. There is absolutely nothing new about that. People who make their living chasing clicks decide to make an issue out of it and here we go. Lol.
Short tracks have never been a place where a lot of passing happens. Most Nascar fans haven't watched any of the full time pavement short track racing series. The leader sets the pace and they all follow for the most part. Very little passing occurs. Nascar fans on the other hand see the few short track highlight reels (Hamlin wrecking Elliott over and over), or Earnhardt wrecking Waltrip and think that is what ALL the short track races are supposed to be.

Personally, if a person wants to see some crazy passing at high speeds on a short track, watch the midgets or the Sprint car series on dirt.

We do? I don't know about you, but I have no stakes in the game. I'm guessing maybe five people here are in the industry.
Absolutely.
No matter how much someone poo poos that fact it is inherently true that the fans are invested.

Ancient history. Bristol hasn't been close to filling those seats in years and years. Times change ol' timer. Living in the past instead of the current reality is a choice.

If you are naive enough to think that after the yotas showed a way around fuel mileage at the big tracks, again that is your choice. It failed because they couldn't run a straight line, but don't think the other teams saw what was about to happen. BTW the ratings were really good and the stands were full. "industry leaders" (yapping mouths) don't cash the checks. They are parasites working for click baits. They would not exist without the sport.
LOL.
Ok.

They have been riding around on the supers for years, saving the car, saving fuel. There is absolutely nothing new about that. People who make their living chasing clicks decide to make an issue out of it and here we go. Lol.
Short tracks have never been a place where a lot of passing happens. Most Nascar fans haven't watched any of the full time pavement short track racing series. The leader sets the pace and they all follow for the most part. Very little passing occurs. Nascar fans on the other hand see the few short track highlight reels (Hamlin wrecking Elliott over and over), or Earnhardt wrecking Waltrip and think that is what ALL the short track races are supposed to be.

Personally, if a person wants to see some crazy passing at high speeds on a short track, watch the midgets or the Sprint car series on dirt.
yea its been crazy to me to see this week the amount of angst over fuel mileage races from the media and fans. I guess I'm getting old because I could swear that there used to be about one-two fuel mileage races when they went to the late summer triumphant triumvirate of Pocono-Michigan-New Hampshire-Dover each year. Fuel Mileage races never bothered me, it made the guys sitting on the pit box earn their money too.

There are certain fans that have anointed themselves as chief critics of the sport. Some of the media caters to that bunch. Logic and facts go out the window for click bait. The minute the caution flies these guys are shutting off the motor, it doesn't matter what track it is.
Part of the reason for stages is to make them drive harder.

There are certain fans that have anointed themselves as chief critics of the sport. Some of the media caters to that bunch. Logic and facts go out the window for click bait. The minute the caution flies these guys are shutting off the motor, it doesn't matter what track it is.
Part of the reason for stages is to make them drive harder.

There is a difference between shutting off the engine for yellows and running 3/4s of the race at half throttle like they do at plate tracks.

1714164061318.jpeg

A good example was Love last year at Dega. Dominated the race, ran out front, ran out of gas and finished way down. This year I thought Love was down on power. He wasn't pushing, kept a gap on the car in front, followed Hill when he was leading etc. When others were trying to sip fuel in the closing laps, Love moved out front led the last few laps, won the race and had enough fuel left to do a burnout and drive it to victory lane. He tweeted about it afterwards, can't save fuel eh?
Point being it isn't the car that drives wide open that always wins the race.

No there isn't. It's called saving fuel. I hate to break it to ya but race car drivers don't run wide open unless they have to in most cases.

Outside of the plate tracks cup cars generally aren't going 1/2 throttle for 3/4 of the race. They are wide open on the throttle unless it's breaking traction or cornering. Yeah sometimes it becomes a fuel milage race but that's normally just the last run.

Outside of the plate tracks cup cars generally aren't going 1/2 throttle for 3/4 of the race. They are wide open on the throttle unless it's breaking traction or cornering. Yeah sometimes it becomes a fuel milage race but that's normally just the last run.
That is not true. How many times do you hear the crew telling cars to save on fuel. That means what it says.

yea its been crazy to me to see this week the amount of angst over fuel mileage races from the media and fans. I guess I'm getting old because I could swear that there used to be about one-two fuel mileage races when they went to the late summer triumphant triumvirate of Pocono-Michigan-New Hampshire-Dover each year. Fuel Mileage races never bothered me, it made the guys sitting on the pit box earn their money too.
I don't mind one once in a blue moon, but I don't want a steady diet of them, and I prefer they happen organically during the race, and practiced by a small number of drivers, not the entire field doing it from lap one, and where everyone knows it months ahead of time.

I don't mind one once in a blue moon, but I don't want a steady diet of them, and I prefer they happen organically during the race, and practiced by a small number of drivers, not the entire field doing it from lap one, and where everyone knows it months ahead of time.
I believe that was some of the strategy for part of the teams. The Yotas if they didn't wreck were running a different one.

Back
Top Bottom