2025 NASCAR TV contract

YouTube TV isn’t a “streaming channel” unless I’m missing something here. It carries channels on a streaming platform.

My point is I’m not a fan of standalone streaming platforms like Amazon Prime. Rather use eBay for a lot of stuff so no need for Amazon sometimes.
These streaming services hardly cost anything, unless you have a bunch and they add up.

Streaming packages are going to end up on a platform most people already have.

NASCAR going to mostly streaming would be an absolute death sentence. NASCAR's core audience does not stream.

NASCAR going to mostly streaming would be an absolute death sentence. NASCAR's core audience does not stream.
I don’t think anyone’s saying “mostly” streaming. But it’s pretty common practice to see sports sell a streaming-exclusive portion of TV rights now. And if you get it on the right platform it can be better exposure to a younger audience. Hell, back when Amazon Prime TNF had better matchups earlier in the season they were getting a better 18-49 rating than the regional FOX/CBS Sunday windows despite having a smaller total audience.

NASCAR's "core" audience
157807.jpg

I mean NASCAR fans come off as the most technologically illiterate people on the planet so I'm sure they will bitch a ton about streaming races.
Everything I watch is streamed, unless its on the Anchor Network

I think Most people, including NASCAR wildly overestimate the energy the majority of the fanbase will expend to watch the races. Unlike many other sports, there is no hometown teams and little fantasy action or gambling. Streaming will also put the final nail in the coffin of the older fanbase. I think it's fine as a companion option, but I think it's a huge mistake to be an only option. I've got Peacock, and I don't think I've looked at it four months.
Whats old? I'm 59 and just as tech savy as my kids.

So many variables.

I still think it'll be Fox and ESPN on the linear TV side. There's been some talk that there could be four broadcast partners. Although, I'm surprised Fox hasn't already renewed.

Wherever TNT's NBA package ends up will be a factor too. If Fox gets NBA, I could actually see them dropping NASCAR. And what if the rumors about Comcast buying WB from Discovery in 2024 are true?
If I were NASCAR I would shy away from having several different networks. The next contract would be a Network that is capable of streaming plus network and cable channel. 2 Networks maximum.

You spent about a year saying races should be on MSNBC rather than on USA.

The complaints from Twitter about USA were, "I don't get USA!!!"

If you got NBCSN before, you get USA. If you get MSNBC, you get USA.

My problems with NBC/USA had nothing to do with the availability of USA (CNBC, however, is a different story). The USA tenure started off very rocky with that Nashville race being dumped off NBC, and then USA not running a ticker, not running an update or anything during the hour or so in-between letting viewers know if and when the race was resuming. As much of a proponent as I am of modern technology, people shouldn't have to check Twitter to know when the race is resuming. And it's been more of the same from USA since.

The second issue with USA is that they don't update guide data for DVR like NBCSN did, or like Fox, FS1, NBC and ESPN do. So, if a race runs long on USA or CNBC and you record it on DVR, you're screwed. If a race on Fox, FS1 or NBC run long, you're usually fine.

The third issue is that, NBC/USA were constantly dumping programming off to CNBC, which nobody watches or knows about. CNBC is not as widely available as USA or MSNBC, to my knowledge. And it's not a known brand. People go to Fox Business or Bloomberg for financial news now, so CNBC has no value. People can have opinions on MSNBC, good or bad, but it's a known brand that's widely available.

The fourth issue is that USA was a bad fit for NASCAR. The network that airs Chrisley Knows Best, Love Island, Temptation Island and other reality programs aimed solely at suburban women isn't going to grow the sport at all.

None of my issues with USA had to do with availability - that was CNBC.

As for NBC's streaming stuff, I firmly believe that, if a race is supposed to be on OTA TV and it gets dumped off to CNBC, it should be available for free online. If a race is supposed to be on USA and it gets dropped from cable altogether, it should be available on the NBC Sports website. And, more importantly, EVERY NBC Sports broadcast should be on Peacock, like they do with INDYCAR. But Comcast is trying to extort fans into watching some races on NBC, some on USA, some on CNBC, and some on Peacock.

I don’t see the big problem with USA or TBS or TNT as far as cable goes. Ratings were up at Michigan at least lol

All the races should be free on NASCAR.com or at least Cup races.

And, more importantly, EVERY NBC Sports broadcast should be on Peacock, like they do with INDYCAR.
Yeah, I'm not a marketing or media exec but if you have the rights to the content, and scheduling conflicts are pretty much non-existent for streaming services, why wouldn't you distribute the content across all platforms? Contact obligations, I guess, but why wouldn't NASCAR want all races streamed on its OTA partner's feeds?

NFL fans aren't complaining about Amazon Prime or NFL+. So far, the only game that's been on streaming that people complained about was the Broncos/Jaguars game on ESPN+. And that's only because it wasn't included on NFL+ like the Prime games are.

Only reason MLB fans complain about Apple TV is because the coverage sucks. The biggest complaint with streaming in MLB is the fact that you can't stream "home" teams on ESPN+ or MLB.TV.

NHL has a package with ESPN+ and, as far as I can tell, there haven't been any complaints about it.

The people who are complaining about races moving to streaming are the same ones who complained when the races aren't on Fox or NBC and think every race should be on ABC or CBS like it used to be back in the 19-nevers.
Exactly. If people want it bad enough, they'll adapt and pay for it.

Denver/Jacksonville was on local TV too.

ESPN+ is the only good streaming service. Apple & Amazon are a joke. Not everyone likes it.

Denver/Jacksonville was on local TV too.

ESPN+ is the only good streaming service. Apple & Amazon are a joke. Not everyone likes it.

Amazon's NFL coverage has gotten near-universal praise. Everything is comparable to an NBC or CBS broadcast.

Apple TV's MLB coverage sucks. Great video quality and camera work. Everything else is just weird. The announcing crews are terrible and the graphics are weird.

I mean streaming simulcasts aren't a bad idea, and cable is dying.

But how does NASCAR move into streaming without alienating it's sizeable rural fanbase who may not have internet capable of streaming

I'm hoping, for the sake of the fans, that EVERY race is available on streaming, 20+ races on OTA or linear cable.

Peacock and ESPN+ would be optimal, as neither service is steep. Over 40% of Disney+ subscribers get ESPN+ for free since they're on the "Disney Bundle" and most of them don't even know they have ESPN+.

Amazon's NFL coverage has gotten near-universal praise. Everything is comparable to an NBC or CBS broadcast.

Apple TV's MLB coverage sucks. Great video quality and camera work. Everything else is just weird. The announcing crews are terrible and the graphics are weird.

$12.99 a month to watch one game a week. No? It’s w/e agree to disagree. Don’t know why people like giving Bezos money.

The 4 major networks probably have garbage on Thursday Nights now.

I don’t have a problem with streaming but it should be a complimentary service, not exclusive for major sports or major races that have always been on TV.

I mean streaming simulcasts aren't a bad idea, and cable is dying.

But how does NASCAR move into streaming without alienating it's sizeable rural fanbase who may not have internet capable of streaming

Rural internet gap is closing fast.

The US Government, Microsoft, the telecoms and state governments have invested heavily in it. Over $65 billion was allocated to broadband (primarily for expansion into Rural America) in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. Just about every cell phone provider has an option for home internet through 4G/5G now. My workplace actually runs entirely off an AT&T mobile hotspot.

All I watch on tv is nascar outside of a football game here and there. I’m all for a nascar streaming service for $10-20 a month instead of YouTube tv for $60 something a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASCAR Could Seek Close To $1B Annually For Next Rights Deal​

They'll get it. If not more.

MLS is getting close to $300 million per year Apple TV. Their last contract was about $65 million per year. And there was no bidding war either, nobody else was even interested.

They signed a deal with an AAV of $820M a decade ago, I’d be shocked if they didn’t get well above $1B now. That honestly feels like a low estimation. The rights fees increases are going up by insane rates these days.

They signed a deal with an AAV of $820M a decade ago, I’d be shocked if they didn’t get well above $1B now. That honestly feels like a low estimation. The rights fees increases are going up by insane rates these days.

NASCAR should be asking for $1.5-$2bn honestly and would probably get it.

Someone's going to offer an utterly and incomprehensively stupid amount of money for streaming rights.

I'd be more than happy to pay $20-$30 a month to be able to see all nascar events on one streaming platform. Not having to figure out what network has the race this week and what network it will get bumped to if it runs over would be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

NBC might need to pay $1bn for NASCAR now that the entirety of USA primetime is gone.

I'd be more than happy to pay $20-$30 a month to be able to see all nascar events on one streaming platform. Not having to figure out what network has the race this week and what network it will get bumped to if it runs over would be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'd be fine with that, but in reality you would probably need to pay for 2 or 3 streaming services to see all nascar events.

Sort of related ... ESPN Thursday Night Thunder being revived by SRX and the House of Mouse.

Curious if this is a timebuy or another indicator that ESPN is serious about motorsports coverage.

Anything to get Alan Bestwick back to calling NASCAR races. Him with Jr and Kyle Petty would be a dream booth when Fox is done

Back
Top Bottom