'21 Generation 7 Car news

Spec body, spec chassis, spec engine...manufacturer hybrid system.

I haven’t found the source yet but some guy in the RACER comments claims Corey LaJoie said on a podcast that Five Star will produce the bodies. So essentially becoming like IndyCar where it’s mostly an engine formula with some items open for development (ex: dampers), maybe with some aero tuning options.

It kinda stinks in a way but in the racertainment era and in the interest of cost savings I get why it’s happening.

So Dallara chassis and Five Star bodies?

Btw his podcast is legit. Called "Sunday Money".

So Dallara chassis and Five Star bodies?

Btw his podcast is legit. Called "Sunday Money".
That's what it sounds like. Five Star takes a scan of each OEM, makes a template, and supplies all of the bodies.

I was wondering what it was. I'll have to go and give it a listen, see if he mentioned anything else.

Looks like composite bodies are coming to the cup side, I wondered when that was going to happen. They are working great in the Xfinity series, I wish they would get them in the trucks

End of NASCAR...the last remnants, the last tendons that still connected them to their origins, is being cut...C'est La Vie...BonJour....as they say somewhere else. Or it is just sad...f**k'n BS that they say here in the States.

But it is a great way to promote local racing...believe the short tracks and bull rings will enjoy a rebirth.

Yes I am bummed by the huge distance from “stock” cars being planned by nascar. This will become dark side of the moon from the days of factory cars. I was hoping for standardized chassis by manufacturer, plus bodies that were mush closer to stock dimensions, forcing each brand to compete based on their design and tech (to a point).

I fear future racing begins to look like my grandkid’s 5 year old soccer games, where a big pack of kids just swirls around the ball back and forth on the field...

Perfect analogy...soccer is just another form of babysitting...,appears NASCAR is wanting to go there also. When do the participation trophies start???

Can't say I'm a fan of anything that I'm hearing about the new car.

If you're trying to save cost in the chassis side why not limit teams to a certain number of certified chassis a year?

The bodies I'm kind of up in the air about. I know the body costs have got out of control, but you need to have some areas of freedom. I'm ok with spec nose, tail, and roof but give them the side panels.

Engines are another thing if you're trying to save money make them run them like 5 races instead of 2.

If the past tells us anything team owners aren't trying to save money, they're only trying to find different places to spend the same amount of money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you are trying to attract more manufacturers (competition) to the sport which increases the popularity of the sport, not having to either build a large chassis development operation or buy your parts from a certain team (manufacturer) and pay their price makes getting into the sport much simpler and cost effective are a couple of reasons.

If you are trying to attract more manufacturers (competition) to the sport which increases the popularity of the sport, not having to either build a large chassis development operation or buy your parts from a certain team (manufacturer) and pay their price makes getting into the sport much simpler and cost effective are a couple of reasons.
How is that working out? Seems to me that NASCAR had a much bigger following as far as popularity, and had more manufacturers before. Like in the '80's and '90's prior to the twisted sister cars.

The cars in NASCAR have been basically standardized since the 1970s. Banjo Matthews and Holman Moody built 72% of the winning cars between 1974 and 1985. They build cars for all manufacturers. His sign: "Where money buys speed...how fast do you want to go?". I think good racing comes from an equal playing field which means spec cars and where a driver can make a difference.

NASCAR also has a history where a dominate team can hurt the racing. Carl Kiekhaefer set up a multi-car team back in the 1950's with Chrysler 300s (the predecessor of today's teams), they dominated, got booed, and he left the series because he was racing to advertise Mercury Outboard engines (and booing didn't help sales).

The cars in NASCAR have been basically standardized since the 1970s. Banjo Matthews and Holman Moody built 72% of the winning cars between 1974 and 1985. They build cars for all manufacturers. His sign: "Where money buys speed...how fast do you want to go?". I think good racing comes from an equal playing field which means spec cars and where a driver can make a difference.

NASCAR also has a history where a dominate team can hurt the racing. Carl Kiekhaefer set up a multi-car team back in the 1950's with Chrysler 300s (the predecessor of today's teams), they dominated, got booed, and he left the series because he was racing to advertise Mercury Outboard engines (and booing didn't help sales).
yep and the the bottom line is that if you price the OEM's and their support out of the sport instead of attracting more competition, you have your head in the sand.

ask Buick, Olds, Pontiac etc. The world has changed in 40 years.
In some ways, but not generally. Grandma always used to say, what ever you think is brand new and different, has been tried once before...either nobody wanted it then, or nobody wrote it down.

That being said...why the rush to spec racing? We have had that in spades since the '20's...midgets, champ cars, go-karts, formula racing...can go on and on. So why take something unique and destroy it?

In some ways, but not generally. Grandma always used to say, what ever you think is brand new and different, has been tried once before...either nobody wanted it then, or nobody wrote it down.

That being said...why the rush to spec racing? We have had that in spades since the '20's...midgets, champ cars, go-karts, formula racing...can go on and on. So why take something unique and destroy it?
you say it is spec racing, I don't agree with your opinion except all racing has specifications. And what you are complaining about above has been successful for years. Grandma knows that.

And what you are complaining about above has been successful for years
And just how successful is NASCAR from a fan point of view compared to the early '90's? or '80's? Do you think it is more popular or less? If it is so successful, why are they intent on still changing it even more? That is what Grandma would say.

And just how successful is NASCAR from a fan point of view compared to the early '90's? or '80's? Do you think it is more popular or less? If it is so successful, why are they intent on still changing it even more? That is what Grandma would say.
This is a thread about the Gen 7 car. If ya want to go back years and years about back in the day there is an attendance thread.

Yeah I miss the old IROC also but the series did become Nascar light towards the end. What most of these IROC ers don't realize or don't care to is that those cars were all built in one shop by the same hands and made as identical as possible, way different to what the Gen 7 cars will be. It's either ignorance or trolling IMO to use that term to describe what is going on now but I guess that is all they can come up with to just about any changes made. I know I am not going to like all of the changes, but time moves on and I bet I like most of them as Nascar continues to evolve under new leadership.

Starting to sound like they are making progress, getting rid of a lot of loopholes with the body and chassis.

I'm not sure if the increase in popularity with more manufactures would be that significant. I'm sure it would be statistical, but I can't imagine it making that much of an impact.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nothing new about teams buying a chassis from an outside source. This is gonna save owners a ton of money and it will definitely help the under funded teams be much more competitive. It will be a bare chassis so what you put on it is what will make it different.

Nothing new about teams buying a chassis from an outside source. This is gonna save owners a ton of money and it will definitely help the under funded teams be much more competitive. It will be a bare chassis so what you put on it is what will make it different.
That last line is why I think it maintains the status quo we have now, if not worse. The “haves” will pour their R&D money into what can be done with the new chassis and body. Since the box to play in is much narrower, those who find minor gains will be even more powerful. I like the idea and I think there should be a standard chassis while we let the OEM’s showcase body and engine prowess (think IMSA). To market this as if Front Row or JTG will suddenly have a chance due to decreased cost is flat out laughable.

Edit: I like a standard chassis as it will eliminate the underpan aero games that were being played. Standardize that portion and put suspension back in the hands of the crew chief. I know, I know. Wishful thinking of bunnies and unicorns here. I’m naive.

Last edited:
I’d also like to see an engine rule similar to F1 like @wi_racefan mentioned: you get X number of engines a year, period. Run same engine multiple races. Give the OEM’s a chance to market and brag about their reliability (or lack thereof)

I’d also like to see an engine rule similar to F1 like @wi_racefan mentioned: you get X number of engines a year, period. Run same engine multiple races. Give the OEM’s a chance to market and brag about their reliability (or lack thereof)
It's a lot easier to place a limit on the number of engines when the races are a LOT shorter than what Cup runs with a lot less variation in race length.. I'm definitely not saying it can't be done but there's a lot more to factor in when setting the limit. It will have to be a higher number of engines as a percentage of number of races than F1, etc. Even limiting it to 18 (two races per engine) has to account for the C600. And would the exhibition races (unique to Cup) be included?

It's a lot easier to place a limit on the number of engines when the races are a LOT shorter than what Cup runs with a lot less variation in race length.. I'm definitely not saying it can't be done but there's a lot more to factor in when setting the limit. It will have to be a higher number of engines as a percentage of number of races than F1, etc. Even limiting it to 18 (two races per engine) has to account for the C600. And would the exhibition races (unique to Cup) be included?
Fair and accurate point. I don't have a good answer as you are 100% correct. If NASCAR does eventually go to the shorter race distances, though...

That last line is why I think it maintains the status quo we have now, if not worse. The “haves” will pour their R&D money into what can be done with the new chassis and body. Since the box to play in is much narrower, those who find minor gains will be even more powerful. I like the idea and I think there should be a standard chassis while we let the OEM’s showcase body and engine prowess (think IMSA). To market this as if Front Row or JTG will suddenly have a chance due to decreased cost is flat out laughable.

Edit: I like a standard chassis as it will eliminate the underpan aero games that were being played. Standardize that portion and put suspension back in the hands of the crew chief. I know, I know. Wishful thinking of bunnies and unicorns here. I’m naive.

You could be right. But "chassis" could also include suspension components or anything between with the vagueness of info the public is getting so far . :idunno: I do agree, whatever happens the "haves" will continue their winning ways. Composite bodies are pretty hard to screw with and a whole lot more damage resistant.

Nascar already has a sealed engine rules. The Cup's is below FWIW. There has been a few engines expire this year who knows if it was because of the rule or it just happened.

NASCAR will expand the use of sealed engines next season, increasing to three long block seals in addition to keeping the current 13-race short block seal requirement.

Still only one Winner per race. 20 some-odd cars are from the bigger Teams -- so doubtful NASCAR's move will redistribute Wins to lesser teams to a meaningful extent, if at all.

But getting costs under control is an admirable sounding pursuit -- just doubtful that Joe, Roger, Hendrick, Haas, Chip, Jack or even Childress aren't going to find other areas of advantage in their budgets. Shifting spending around to achieve better machines, software, engineering, simulation, drivers, crew, etc...

Back
Top Bottom