23XI statement on not signing Charter agreement

And the France family are a bunch of hayseeds. lol. Good luck. Pulling the race card a bit early, that is usually after a loss.

Let's not pretend that there's not a good chunk of loud racist fans on the internet, and that we don't have a reputation as sport.

In your case, if he wasn't on a toyota team we wouldn't be having this conversation. You are anybody else isn't going to convince me that Nascar needs Michael Jordan to survive. I don't think Nascar needs any team owner or manufacturer to survive.
I do know one thing. It is going to be interesting to see if those two teams have charters for next year. I think we will find out if that is an issue pretty quick.
NASCAR doesn't need MJ. But losing him is a PR nightmare. Maybe you don't care about how NASCAR is perceived outside of the community, and that's perfectly fine. To some of us who do, losing MJ could paint the sport in a bad light

This isn't Nascar's first rodeo, they have been thru an anti-trust before. Hopefully they have kept dotting their i's and crossing their t's.
This is not a stick and ball case. This is an entertainment business with a completely different structure than a stick and ball league.

If NASCAR has done something illegal, would the above statement still apply?

Teams are losing money, I think that's what this is all about to be honest. It's that simple. Team owners are in NASCAR to make money.

NASCAR is a business, let's not forget.

Teams are losing money. They're using a potential antitrust lawsuit as leverage.

It's so simple and it's entirely transparent.

"We think we're losing money because NASCAR is doing something illegal." I agree. It really is a straightforward lawsuit. They're claiming NASCAR is breaking the law. That's it

NASCAR doesn't need MJ. But losing him is a PR nightmare. Maybe you don't care about how NASCAR is perceived outside of the community, and that's perfectly fine. To some of us who do, losing MJ could paint the sport in a bad light
Maybe because I don't think Jordan is going anywhere. You nervous Nellys worry about that. So save the drama. He's digging for more money. Good luck with that.

if you are the greatest athlete to have ever walked the face of the planet.
Are YOU serious? Sure, he belongs on the basketball Mt. Rushmore. His baseball efforts were less than noteable. Even Deion Sanders pulled off playing in two major sports at the same point in his career. But outside of his chosen sport? Pelè's fans would like a word.

Getting past that sideshow, I keep getting told Jordan is important because he's famous. Okay, I'll take y'all's word. That didn't make Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach important in NASCAR.

Are YOU serious? Sure, he belongs on the basketball Mt. Rushmore. His baseball efforts were less than noteable. Even Deion Sanders pulled off playing in two major sports at the same point in his career. But outside of his chosen sport? Pelè's fans would like a word.

Getting past that sideshow, I keep getting told Jordan is important because he's famous. Okay, I'll take y'all's word. That didn't make Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach important in NASCAR.
Or Smokey and the Bandit's Hal Needham, Or country and western singer/driver Marty Robbins.

It seems to me that the most significant thing about Jordan’s current involvement in NASCAR Cup Series racing is the depth of his pockets.
His pockets are going to get much lighter.
Nascar's legal beagle resume

https://www.lw.com/en/people/chris-yates
Chris Yates, former Global Co-Chair of the firm’s Antitrust & Competition Practice, litigates precedent-setting cases across the US, with particular focus on monopolization and sports antitrust litigation.

If you think that MJ is important because he is famous, then you probably need to do a little research. ESPN's documentary series would be a great place to start. Yep, GOAT. We could go into a discussion "athlete," but that would be boring. Nobody is close. Nobody. Pele.....soccer. Okay.

I agree that MJ is in on a whole different level than the rest of the stars and pseudo stars that have dabbled in NASCAR before, and I think Michael LEAVING NASCAR would be a FAR bigger story than him actually being here.
Well said.

I know who Michael Jordan is from his first stint with the Bulls. Since that time I have no clue what he’s been up to other than with his Nascar team. So far so I’ve not fallen in the water MJ walks on like many others have. 😁

If you think that MJ is important because he is famous, then you probably need to do a little research. ESPN's documentary series would be a great place to start. Yep, GOAT. We could go into a discussion "athlete," but that would be boring. Nobody is close. Nobody. Pele.....soccer. Okay.
"I dont have a gambling problem. I have a competition problem."

I know who Michael Jordan is from his first stint with the Bulls. Since that time I have no clue what he’s been up to other than with his Nascar team. So far so I’ve not fallen in the water MJ walks on like many others have. 😁
Well that aside, MJ is VERY BIG in the demographics that NASCAR, and more importantly many of the NASCAR sponsors want to be in with. It's like the Pitbull thing. I wouldn't recognize him if he walked into my office right now, and I couldn't name a single song of his, but he is big with people that sponsors want to connect with.

What specific & tangible benefits has NASCAR gained from having an affiliation with MJ? Are there more fans in the stands? Have broadcast ratings improved or has NASCAR’s old demographic seen an improvement?

If MJ has not improved those things what has he done?

I couldn't tell ya that much. I heard the name, knew he played basketball, couldn't believe men stacked up boxes of tennis shoes like Hamlin did.

That takes us back to the question of which Jordan is the famous one in 2024, the ball player or the shoe salesman.

IMO if you’re 35 you only know MJ as a McD’s shill (wow that stuff is garbage) and a shoe huckster. I have no idea if he has his own line of shoes or an endorsement deal. If it was important to me I’d know.

What specific & tangible benefits has NASCAR gained from having an affiliation with MJ? Are there more fans in the stands? Have broadcast ratings improved or has NASCAR’s old demographic seen an improvement?

If MJ has not improved those things what has he done?

He helped start a new Cup team.

He’s responsible for that and for none of the other things you mentioned.

I'm only concerned with Jordan within the context of his NASCAR involvement. I don't care why the man is famous or how he made his money. As I noted, the GOAT argument is a sideshow; whether he is or isn't has nothing to do with the lawsuit in question.

If he wasn't famous, only mega-rich from an incredibly successful career doing something boring in obscurity, do you think the uproar over his lawsuit would be as great? If not, then it appears to me the only reason for the hoopla is because he's famous.

Does it really matter?
Good question. I'm not swayed much by endorsements any more. I don't know if it would make any difference to those who listen to celebrity pitchmen. I recall reading that many people who buy the Madden Football game knew him only from his broadcast work and didn't know about his successful coaching career.

Back
Top Bottom