24 Heures du Mans 2021

Very glad the #7 finally won and Kamui got to take it home.

Hypercars were very impressive with four new machines, the class swept the top five overall and finished within seven laps of each other. Reliability and execution was a lot better than I expected.

Jim Glickenhaus is a bit of a dumbass at times, but for a first for his team... They did great to recover, I hope the program continues to improve here next year.

Might be the end of that tradition tbh.
Yeah or either have him or her stand as close as possible to the inside wall. It will get the cars that a celebrating to get out of the racing line. That's if another class is racing to the line, it will prevent it.

You maybe right though.

Jim Glickenhaus is a bit of a dumbass at times, but for a first for his team... They did great to recover, I hope the program continues to improve here next year.
To me he comes across as quite likeable during interviews.
He's been very passionate about his projects on the Nordschleife and having both cars finish in the Top 5 without major issues in their first Le Mans 24h race is a great accomplishment.
Colin Kolles couldn't make that happen in 7 years.

Yeah or either have him or her stand as close as possible to the inside wall. It will get the cars that a celebrating to get out of the racing line. That's if another class is racing to the line, it will prevent it.

You maybe right though.
Quite possible they may just move it to the starter's stand where they wave the Tricolour. Honestly the whole way they finishes races is crazy in this age, between guys trying just to finish, stage a photo finish, and race for position it's a recipe for disaster. Amazing they didn't flatten some GTE car there.

I noticed the flagman on the track, I knew it was a tradition. Normally the race is over by the last lap and cars line up for the checker flag photo but one car was still racing today.

I watched a lot of the race and learned some history. I recall they used to start the race with the drivers running across the track, get in their cars, start their cars, and take off in a chaotic start. One of the commentators pointed out that one driver chose to take his time walking to his car, he went on to win the race (don't remember the name of the driver) - he showed how silly that tradition was (some drivers wouldn't properly buckle up and it also became a safety issue).

(some drivers wouldn't properly buckle up and it also became a safety issue).
In 1969, not only did Jonathan Wolfe not buckle up, but he also didn't get the door closed properly, and he was thrown out of the car at the White House curves. That was the last year for the traditional Lemans start.

In 1969, not only did Jonathan Wolfe not buckle up, but he also didn't get the door closed properly, and he was thrown out of the car at the White House curves. That was the last year for the traditional Lemans start.
The year before that Willy Mairesse suffered a career-ending crash trying to close his door while going about 300 kph on the Hunaudieres.
Jacky Ickx used to protest the lack of safety by walking to his car slowly.

The 24 hours Moto still use the traditional start.

I built all the 69 Longtails, and even all the short ones. This was Wolfe's car.

20160103_001021.jpg
20160103_001030[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom