60th Rolex 24 at Daytona

I caught an interview with Kyle Petty last night comparing running the race when he ran back in the day to today. He pointed out that drivers only had to show up for practice and the race, today it requires a much bigger time commitment. He had a good perspective and saluted all the drivers who participate in the race.

One hour to go and there's no way to tell who's going to win. Just crazy. If they run this hard today, how bonkers are the sprint races going to be?
Seriously, why doesn't this series draw more attention / viewers? It consistently offers good solid racing. With multiple classes, you can usually find a battle for the lead in at least one of them.

This is fantastic!

Can we talk about Heylen in the 16 staying in contact with the GTD Pro cars?

That's pretty nutty pace only being like a tenth off of the Pro/Factory teams.
Wasn't he being told to stay there? Where would he be if they took the leash off?

Can we talk about Heylen in the 16 staying in contact with the GTD Pro cars?

That's pretty nutty pace only being like a tenth off of the Pro/Factory teams.
Choosing to keep GTD Pro and GTD on the same BoP table was a great decision. Plenty of pros in GTD that are just as quick as the next class. Hope they keep it that way.

Now Deletraz is right on Herta for the LMP2 lead too.

#60 27 second pit with a driver change. 4 seconds faster than the #10.

It's a long run from that pit road across the grass if someone wanted to climb that fence...

If I am following this correctly, the Shank car is leading, which is remarkable considering the two laps they lost to the puncture. It's going to be a disappointment if they don't win. This could thrust Helio into the discussion about GOATs.

One caution since around 7:20am or so. The Yellow Fever evaporated with the morning frost. Good to see this decided under green like it should be.

Seriously, why doesn't this series draw more attention / viewers? It consistently offers good solid racing. With multiple classes, you can usually find a battle for the lead in at least one of them.
Sportscar racing always gets the short end of the stick. It's always been this way. Even in 1970, the supposed golden era, there was no one there. Literally, no one. Check the old photos of the stands have maybe a dozen people in it, yet those were to good old days. As long as we get to see it, I'm not too worried about "popularity." We've seen "popular" series fold up and disappear, so I'll take what we have now because it's sustainable.

That, and Damm, what a wild race. Sure, beats the domination we see in F1. Any DPI can win this race, and I've given up trying to follow DTD because it changes every lap. This race is like nothing I've ever seen.

The caution rule where cars in class get grouped together keeps more cars in touch with the leader because they don't have to pass other classes after the caution.

I was hoping there wouldn't be a late caution. There seem to be a lot of full course cautions.

Back
Top Bottom