#88 driver announcement - It's Bowman

Funny story, my buddy was a big Bill Elliott fan, we were going to the stock car races and he said come over a little early I want to show you my wife's new car. I got over there bright red Thunderbird haha. Wife said she liked it, my wife visited his, so after the race my wife tells me she likes the car but she didn't like the red.

I can't if both of them make the play offs, it's impressive for any driver to make it to the first round, lucky winners notwithstanding. Blaney didn't get his win by luck. Blaney IMO ha a more fan friendly personality compared to Elliott, and like it or not in the future that is becoming more important to keeping employed by being a sponsor's darling. Chase is working on it, but Blaney has it.
Chase has commercials for KBB, Mountain Dew, NAPA, Hooters...

I don't know that there's a more sponsor darling driver in the sport outside of Dale.

Anywho, not trying to make it all about Chase, just trying to get some real reasoning out of folks.

Very happy that Bowman got the ride! Figured it would be announced this week.

Chase has commercials for KBB, Mountain Dew, NAPA, Hooters...

I don't know that there's a more sponsor darling driver in the sport outside of Dale.

Anywho, not trying to make it all about Chase, just trying to get some real reasoning out of folks.

yeah I hear that, I think it has a lot to do with being hooked up with Hendrick myself, He's the best by far with sponsors.

I'm guessing the Axalta increasing its sponsorship means either Byron will not be going to Cup next year or if he is it will be a different sponsor.

I mean, he did really great in the races he did in the car last year, so I mean he showed he can wheel a car when in a good ride. I see him getting at least two wins next year.

3 top 10's in ten starts

led laps in 2 races

wouldnt call that great

My initial reaction was to come in here and ask what exactly makes him so deserving in the eyes of so many in here, but I didn't want to dump on the thread lol. You could argue a guy like Allgaier is more deserving, at least he's won Xfinity races with JRM equipment...

I'm struggling to wrap my head around all the love.
Apparently you missed him subbing for Jr last season

More interesting to me is a guy like Byron whose arrow has been pointing upward non stop from the moment he sat behind a real steering wheel gets the raw end of the deal. I get the sponsorship angle, but how is that kid not one of the easiest sells in the sport? He wins, and wins a lot.
Byron said himself he wants to do another year in Xfinity before he moves to Cup.

3 top 10's in ten starts

led laps in 2 races

wouldnt call that great
Top 10 at New Hampshire before contact cut a tire down

Top 10 at Michigan before a mechanical issue

3rd at Charlotte before a tire went down

Dominated Phoenix

Was in the Top 5 at Talladega before spinning on his own as well, and how many times have Joonya, Jimmie, and Chase done that on a plate track recently?

Dominated Phoenix

Was in the Top 5 at Talladega before spinning on his own as well, and how many times have Joonya, Jimmie, and Chase done that on a plate track recently?
Bingo.

A lot or people always look at the numbers of where they finish, they never look at how they ended up finishing there or anything. He should have had a win and plenty more top 10s and top 5s

Dominated Phoenix

I mean...Chase was 3 laps from winning the biggest race of the year and ran out of fuel. Then got turned by Dinger at Talladega running 2nd with about 25 to go. So in terms of doing great on plate tracks and not having anything to show for it - yeah I think he's got Bowman covered lol.

He also won a duel race.

Dominated Phoenix

But the finish is what matters at the end

Don't finish the race see how long you'll still be in the car...unless you have the sponsor behind you or someone's paying for you that just wants you

HMS can probably choose just about anyone that they'd like to sign on the dotted line and get behind the wheel of that #88 car. They chose Bowman. HMS obviously has faith in his abilities. Anyone who watched what the kid did as a fill in that can't see what a fine job he did is either in a state of denial or has unrealistic expectations.

Bowman in the ten races in a Hendrick car for an average finish of 19.7. Elliott in the first 5 races he ran for Hendrick had an average finish of 26th. Based on what Elliott hs been able to do since that time, I would say Bowman won't have any problem in cup. Sorry I don't have any footbah comparisons, but I do remember Fatty Arbuckle was given supporting roles because of his name.

Bowman in the ten races in a Hendrick car for an average finish of 19.7. Elliott in the first 5 races he ran for Hendrick had an average finish of 26th. Based on what Elliott hs been able to do since that time, I would say Bowman won't have any problem in cup. Sorry I don't have any footbah comparisons, but I do remember Fatty Arbuckle was given supporting roles because of his name.
I'll bite.

What you didn't mention is those 5 starts were Chase's first time ever sitting in a cup car, 19 yrs old, at some of the most difficult tracks/races on the schedule. Indy, Darlington, Martinsville, the 600...

But who needs context around here, right?

HMS can probably choose just about anyone that they'd like to sign on the dotted line and get behind the wheel of that #88 car. They chose Bowman. HMS obviously has faith in his abilities. Anyone who watched what the kid did as a fill in that can't see what a fine job he did is either in a state of denial or has unrealistic expectations.

This and the fact that Junior Nation seems to actually like him, at least the hardcore race fans.

The fact that Junior endorsed Bowman as his replacement in the 88 says a lot. He gave Alex a shot in his Xfinity cars after getting the boot from TBR. He requested Alex as a substitute last year when he was out. He obviously thinks a lot of him. That's good enough for me.

The last two "protégés" of Dale Jr (Keselowski, Truex Jr) turned out okay.

you can bite all ya want. some of us aren't obsessed about any driver
I'm not obsessed, I'm a fan. No different than supporting your favorite football team. Maybe you're just a different type of sports fan than I am :idunno:

In general, I've seen a lot of half-assed arguments when it comes to this kid with nothing to back it up. It's obviously nothing personal against you, but being the type of fan I am, I'm going to point it out when I see it.

first up, just about any mention of Bowman who has nothing to do with Chase except he is a teammate like somehow that is a slap on Chase might be your first sign. ;) Last time I looked, this thread doesn't say up top..Bowman is better than Chase, and specifically none of my posts say so.

I'll honestly say that I'm not sold on Bowman. That being said, I wasn't sold on Jimmie Johnson and I thought Robert Pressley, Casey Atwood and Brian Vickers would be legends. I am glad to see a young guy who gambled on a team see that gamble and faith pay off.

Bowman has worked his ass off to try to get to the top... he said himself last year it was either breakout or find a real job. Jr gave him a shot and he should have won Pheonix. The kid has a lot of talent like him or not and I'll be a big fan of his next year. And I think a lot of jr fans feel the same way I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I just want to see him race, it's always interesting when a new face shows up IMO. They all are a question mark when they show up in cup. It looked like Larson for a while was going to be a dud, the talking heads were throwing him under the bus, some fans who think this stuff is easy were wondering , some much more negative than that. Now we have win less Jones and Elliott and there are already rumblings, soon to become more so if they don't get a win soon.from some. I believe there have been 8 different winners so far this year. Nobody has that diversity. And young Showman Bowman is getting thrown into the fire. Good stuff. Still a good possibility of more open seats that need filled also.

Soon enough Chase will be getting the Dale Jr treatment for not winning enough lol

Back
Top Bottom