AAF

Blaze

The Midnight Rider
https://aaf.com/

So, this is a new league starting up next year, and some how until tonight I never even heard of it. 8 teams, starting one week after the Super Bowl.

Arizona Hotshots, Atlanta Legends, Birmingham Iron, Memphis Express, Orlando Apollos, Salt Lake Stallions, San Antonio Commanders and San Diego Fleet.

So this is something that’s gonna be with CBS, so I guess I’ll give it a shot. More football the better. Pretty cool the Legends got Aaron Murray as their QB.

I think I heard about this but assumed it would go nowhere.

Well seems they will at least get one season, so I’ll surely check it out.

Same. I love football as much as I love racing. If it's on TV, I'll probably watch. Hell, I even used to watch Arena Football when it was televised, and that sure wasn't anything to write home about

Same. I love football as much as I love racing. If it's on TV, I'll probably watch. Hell, I even used to watch Arena Football when it was televised, and that sure wasn't anything to write home about

Exactly, and the fact I’ll have myself a team to watch and root for from my state makes it better for me. Not to sure about the colors and jerseys yet but hey, I’ll rep the colors haha.

2c827f6734ebae49fdcdac448075d368.jpg

989dce473bc508fcd59ee9196f31fcb2.jpg

These types of leagues typically don’t last but a year or two, but I’ll probably try to watch a few games while it’s here.

Steve Spurrier, Brad Childress, Mike Singletary, and Mike Martz are pretty big coaches
Yeah, the coaches are more impressive then the players.

I'll watch, it's more legit of a football league than the XFL based off the people in charge & coaches/players involved

I'll watch, it's more legit of a football league than the XFL based off the people in charge & coaches/players involved

XFL could be good as well once it starts up, so we should wait to see.

Any different rules? I'll give it a watch, isn't there another league starting up in 2020?

XFL starts up then. So honestly hoping all of these leagues are good, have good fun games. To me the more football I could have the better like I’ve said a few times haha.

XFL could be good as well once it starts up, so we should wait to see.

XFL starts up then. So honestly hoping all of these leagues are good, have good fun games. To me the more football I could have the better like I’ve said a few times haha.
Yeh especially filling that void until baseball starts, as I don't think I'll be watching as much Nascar with the new rules package in 2019.

Yeh especially filling that void until baseball starts, as I don't think I'll be watching as much Nascar with the new rules package in 2019.

I’ll even give the rules package a shot. Tho if it is bad at least then I’ll be able to watch the games without a worry haha.

@Mopardh9 you asked about the rules and this is something I just found.

Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft. The territory assigned to a team consists of at least five colleges plus designated professional teams, one Canadian Football League, and four NFL teams, for those from Big Ten and the Big 12 conferences. Only one quarterback can be taken from their region. A quarterbacks-only "Protect or Pick" draft was conducted in November 2018 in which teams may retain their allocated quarterback or select an unprotected quarterback from another team

Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL

All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks

There will be no kickoffs; halves, odd overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards.(not sure how I feel about this one to be honest...)

The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL

Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic

Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.

No games can end in ties, unlike the NFL

Playoffs will consist of four teams, the top two teams from each conference.

Passing rules are the same as in the NCAA and CFL, in which catches are made with one foot inbounds, unlike the NFL, where they must have both feet inbounds.

@Mopardh9 you asked about the rules and this is something I just found.

Teams will have 50 players on each roster, with some selected by a territorial draft. The territory assigned to a team consists of at least five colleges plus designated professional teams, one Canadian Football League, and four NFL teams, for those from Big Ten and the Big 12 conferences. Only one quarterback can be taken from their region. A quarterbacks-only "Protect or Pick" draft was conducted in November 2018 in which teams may retain their allocated quarterback or select an unprotected quarterback from another team

Telecasts will feature no television timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, with the league aiming for an approximate real-time game length of 150 minutes, down from just over 180 in the NFL

All teams must attempt two-point conversions after each touchdown; there will be no extra point kicks

There will be no kickoffs; halves, odd overtime periods and after scores will begin on each team's own 25-yard line, the same as touchbacks in the NFL and NCAA. In lieu of an onside kick, a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a scrimmage play from their own 35-yard line and gaining at least 10 yards.(not sure how I feel about this one to be honest...)

The play clock will run only 30 seconds, 10 seconds shorter than in the NFL

Two coach's challenges per team are the only replays; no challenges in last two minutes of either half nor any overtime period, as they are automatic

Outside organizations will handle head-safety protocols.

No games can end in ties, unlike the NFL

Playoffs will consist of four teams, the top two teams from each conference.

Passing rules are the same as in the NCAA and CFL, in which catches are made with one foot inbounds, unlike the NFL, where they must have both feet inbounds.
Hmm intersting rule about onside kick, I'd have to see how that works. I don't like the 1 foot inbounds rule, but othere than that, seems ok.

Hmm intersting rule about onside kick, I'd have to see how that works. I don't like the 1 foot inbounds rule, but othere than that, seems ok.

That’s part of why I like college is for the one foot inbounds rule. But I mean it’s not one I have to have.

But yeah the onside kick thing, I hope honestly it’s not something people can abuse, because if some game you really are getting the best of a team you can probably abuse it and I wouldn’t really care for it. So hopefully it gets explained better later on and it’s something you can’t just do unless in a moment where you need to do it.

I might go check out the Orlando Apollos, they'll play at UCF and after looking at the roster and learning that it's more of a regional type of thing it seems kinda cool. Lots of former Gators, Hurricanes, Knights, etc. and Steve Spurrier is the coach.

Having a TV contract, live streaming, and gambling are all pretty good for business so maybe they'll make it last for a while.

That’s part of why I like college is for the one foot inbounds rule. But I mean it’s not one I have to have.

But yeah the onside kick thing, I hope honestly it’s not something people can abuse, because if some game you really are getting the best of a team you can probably abuse it and I wouldn’t really care for it. So hopefully it gets explained better later on and it’s something you can’t just do unless in a moment where you need to do it.
I think it needs to be more than 10 yards. 4th & 10 has a way higher conversion rate than an onside kick.

I might go check out the Orlando Apollos, they'll play at UCF and after looking at the roster and learning that it's more of a regional type of thing it seems kinda cool. Lots of former Gators, Hurricanes, Knights, etc. and Steve Spurrier is the coach.

Having a TV contract, live streaming, and gambling are all pretty good for business so maybe they'll make it last for a while.
Closest team to me would be the Memphis Express, but I saw enough of Zach Mettenberger when he was here.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn...lliance-american-football-season?platform=amp

Instead of an onside kick, if a team is trailing by 17 points or there's five minutes or less left in the fourth quarter, a team can attempt an onside conversion. They get the ball on their own 28-yard line and have to convert a fourth-and-12. If they do, they keep the ball and keep going. Don't convert, and the opponent takes over from the point at which they stop them.

I'll watch, but will definitely be confused by the rules for the first few weeks. Should be able to watch 3 out of 4 games each week. I have no idea what B-R Live is though.

I'll watch, but will definitely be confused by the rules for the first few weeks. Should be able to watch 3 out of 4 games each week. I have no idea what B-R Live is though.
Bleacher Report Live app. I never had to use it before so Idk how it'll be...

I'm tempted to go see the Apollos tomorrow but at the very least I'll be watching on TV.

Bleacher Report Live app. I never had to use it before so Idk how it'll be...

I'm tempted to go see the Apollos tomorrow but at the very least I'll be watching on TV.
I'd consider going to a game if there were any teams close to here, which isn't the case. It would also depend on ticket price. I go to our arena football team games now and then just because tickets are affordable.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25900439/everything-need-know-first-alliance-american-football-season?platform=amp

Instead of an onside kick, if a team is trailing by 17 points or there's five minutes or less left in the fourth quarter, a team can attempt an onside conversion. They get the ball on their own 28-yard line and have to convert a fourth-and-12. If they do, they keep the ball and keep going. Don't convert, and the opponent takes over from the point at which they stop them.

Okay, glad that rule actually really got explained because I was sitting here thinking if a team was really good could just do that a couple times during a game and make that lead go up. This is much much better.

There is a hockey game on and Wichita State is playing, yet I will probably tune into the football game. I'm just very curious to see what kind of excitement this new league produces. Hopefully it's not a dud.

Back
Top Bottom