Adjustable splitters/spoilers....Why not?

They lower the ride height so far and then tune a boat load of negative camber into the thing
13671928_1125936297464658_539181795_n.jpg
Can I assume that's because it's currently regarded as the height (or depth) of automotive fashion, and that there are no functional or performance benefits?

Negative camber? The tire manufacturers must love that.

I usually wonder if the ride is bumpy; there can't be much air in those shallow tires. Sometimes I wonder what putting on larger or smaller tires does to the odometer.

EDIT: and I wonder how well those coffee cans work when you try to sneak your girlfriend in after her curfew.

I usually wonder if the ride is bumpy; there can't be much air in those shallow tires. Sometimes I wonder what putting on larger or smaller tires does to the odometer.
More thought than I could give it. I can't get past wondering why/how someone has a passion for doing something like that to a perfectly good vehicle.

EDIT: and I wonder how well those coffee cans work when you try to sneak your girlfriend in after her curfew.
Throws it off unless the speedo relies on GPS.

More thought than I could give it. I can't get past wondering why/how someone has a passion for doing something like that to a perfectly good vehicle.
As long as nobody living near me installs a loud exhaust or stereo, I figure it's their money to waste. I assume most of them lack the skills to do their own work and are paying a shop to make the alterations. Hopefully that shop will use the profits to fund its own actual, legitimate race car.

The Japan car culture would like to disagree with you, all that stuff is still very much alive and well, right now the craze is over fenders on slambered cars , with those coffee cans exhaust. The tuning car world is very much alive and well and thriving, but because we have such a sort attention span here, its not trendy thing to do anymore here

Yeah, but it has morphed quite a bit over the years. Now it's all about being "JDM" and all that stance/slammed BS. The modded tuner cars from 10 years ago would be laughed at by today's import tuner crowd.

Personally, I laugh at both of them. The "stance nation" kids with their ridiculous camber and stretched tires are just as tacky as the primered Bomex body kit and aluminum park bench wing on a stock 1997 Civic.

Yeah, but it has morphed quite a bit over the years. Now it's all about being "JDM" and all that stance/slammed BS. The modded tuner cars from 10 years ago would be laughed at by today's import tuner crowd.

Personally, I laugh at both of them. The "stance nation" kids with their ridiculous camber and stretched tires are just as tacky as the primered Bomex body kit and aluminum park bench wing on a stock 1997 Civic.
I never got the term 'JDM'. Isn't a Camry from a plant in Japan the same as one from a US plant? Minus compliance with government regulations, of course. Is a Civic build for the Japanese domestic market that much different from one built for the US?

Tacky? Nothing was worse than boomerang antennas, vinyl roofs with oddly shaped rear windows, chrome bimbo hood ornament, and curb feelers. The classic '70s pimpmobile.

I never got the term 'JDM'. Isn't a Camry from a plant in Japan the same as one from a US plant? Minus compliance with government regulations, of course. Is a Civic build for the Japanese domestic market that much different from one built for the US?

Potentially not:

Compared to the United States where vehicle owners are now owning vehicles for a longer period of time, with the average age of the American vehicle fleet at 10.8 years,[1] Japanese owners contend with a strict motor vehicle inspection system which forces them to pay more each year to own a car, or to sell or scrap it as the costs increase.

Japanese domestic market vehicles may differ greatly from the cars that Japanese manufacturers build for export and vehicles derived from the same platforms built in other countries. The Japanese car owner looks more toward innovation than long-term ownership which forces Japanese carmakers to refine new technologies and designs first in domestic vehicles.

Japanese owners contend with a strict motor vehicle inspection system which forces them to pay more each year to own a car, or to sell or scrap it as the costs increase.
Huh. I wonder what the point of that is, other than to drive up manufacturer profits.

I believe the driver controls are on the other side of the cabin.

Tacky? Nothing was worse than boomerang antennas, vinyl roofs with oddly shaped rear windows, chrome bimbo hood ornament, and curb feelers. The classic '70s pimpmobile.[/QUOTE]

Watch it there buddy, some of us have fond memories of those old boats. If you haven't courted a girl in the back of a 59 Buick, you don't know cars.:D

Huh. I wonder what the point of that is, other than to drive up manufacturer profits.

That's the whole point, to support their own auto industry. They also leverage very high taxes against imported cars to help their own. In Japan the value of used cars is much, much lower than used cars here in the US due to the afformentioned inspections and costs.

Pending on the model of car there are some very key differences. The US typically used to get watered down versions of Japanese performance cars. In the 90s the home market got better engines, sometimes better seats, different front fascias than us, etc. It's desirable if you're into Japanese cars to have them the way they're "supposed to be", the way that they actually are in Japan.

Same thing in the watch community. A Seiko that is made in Japan is worth significantly more money than the same model that was made in South Korea. A Japanese product that's actually made there and is intended for Japanese consumption has a more authentic feel to a lot of people

That's the whole point, to support their own auto industry. They also leverage very high taxes against imported cars to help their own. In Japan the value of used cars is much, much lower than used cars here in the US due to the afformentioned inspections and costs.
One government's 'support the auto industry' is this guy's 'force me to unnecessarily replace a functional item'. I hope that truly stupid idea never gets over here.

I must be the only person that still looks forward to the plate races.
Oh no. I am right there with ya. My first official big Nascar race
was 1982 Daytona. My second was 1982 Talladega. To this day ,
both those tracks on race day are my Christmas
mornings.

Tacky? Nothing was worse than boomerang antennas, vinyl roofs with oddly shaped rear windows, chrome bimbo hood ornament, and curb feelers. The classic '70s pimpmobile.

Watch it there buddy, some of us have fond memories of those old boats. If you haven't courted a girl in the back of a 59 Buick, you don't know cars.:D[/QUOTE]

Theres nothing like taking a curve a little to fast and sliding that cute girl over next to you. I love vinyl bench seats with a little wax on them!

Back
Top Bottom