Another build thread + Racing Updates

Whizzer

Gig'em
Contributor
Geeze!! The hood is sticking up and needs adjustment and no antenna for the radio. How's he gonna drive that thing? No tunes ......................... :idunno:

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
He and his dad are in Oklahoma for Rocky Mountain Race week
His Dakota truck was teched in and he's ready to race it.
Track is going hot in about 30 minutes.

What an interesting name for an event in OK, which I recall as ending well short of the Rockies.

Geeze!! The hood is sticking up and needs adjustment and no antenna for the radio. How's he gonna drive that thing? No tunes ......................... :idunno:

Dad stayed home. I ran solo-ish. Had a couple local friends that got in as well, so hung with them all week.

I just got home at 7:30 AM after a 4 hour nap at a rest stop.

The engine makes its own music.

RMRW runs in the Colorado and Kansas region every summer for the last 10 or so years. Last year they added a second event in September for the Kansas-Oklahoma-Texas region.

Finished the week 20th in class. Logged a touch over 1,000 miles while racing at 4 tracks in 5 days.

Day 1 - Oklahoma City, OK - 13.276
Day 2 - Dallas, TX - 13.124
Day 3 - Tulsa, OK - 13.121
Day 4 - Arkansas City, KS - 13.70 (track was ****)
Day 5 - Oklahoma City - 13.366
5-Day average: 13.3174 (good for 20th place on a 13.0 index)

I made a bonsai run at the very end, went 11.956 @ 114.05 at 8.5 pounds of boost. Truck weighs 4400 pounds with me in it. Empty weights are 2470 front, 1740 rear.

Last edited:

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
drained the oil - had a brassy look to it but dad's not concerned considering the number of miles - probably the brass distributor bushing. no copper, and the oil filter has zero metal in it.

Took the LF shock off and I'm within 1/8" of bottoming out the shock, it's riding on the metal bump-stops. So I need to do something with the springs. Shooting an email to Landrum.

Have tried to reach out to FTI about re-stalling the converter yesterday. Looks like getting a hold of the guy I need may be a chore.

Going to relocate the battery from front of bed to back of bed. Also going to add a second battery.

Going to look into getting a roll bar put in the cab. (I've known this would happen and have a rough idea already).

Going to look into changing seats to better accommodate a proper 5-point harness. May or may not have to remove center console.

Going to ditch the troublesome electric shifter & package in a regular one.

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
best pass:

0060': 1.785
0330': 4.980
0660': 7.678 @ 91.11
1000': 9.998
1320': 11.956 @ 114.05

@Nitro Dude

Nice pass. Did you see that Bobby Bode qualified #3 in St Louis with his best pass ever with a 3.89 at 322 mph? It seems like it was just yesterday that I was bouncing him on my knee and pushing him around in his stroller. :)

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Found some 2.5" coil spacerscandidates from Supreme Suspensions, sent them an email

Heard from Justin at FTI, $400 and 3 weeks to adjust the torque converter (plus shipping)

Going to put a red top in each rear corner

Seats are going to get back-burnered

Got the new blower pulley today

Need to get a water/methanol injection system and get it plumbed in

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Things have been a little crazy since that last post.

Found a Rocky Mountain Race Week Sponsor that was able to do my converter re-stall in 2 weeks - for $200, and I was able to drop off and pick it up, as they are an hour from me. That made life easy.

Dad got me a different gearset for my birthday, so we pulled and rebuilt the transmission. 1.80 low gear came out, 1.98 went in. That will artificially tighten the converter in low gear, plus the ~500 rpm re-stall tightening.

I also picked up some traction bars.

All I lack is putting the exhaust Y-pipe on, then it will be track ready with ONLY the mechanical 60' improvements made (converter might make a little difference downtrack).

Then I will bring it back, change blower pulley, put the water/methanol system on it, move the battery, and add a second battery.

Did some basic diagnostics on the dragster engine with ~28 runs on this cycle. The findings?

It's scattered apart on the bench. Again.

And we still haven't found what the issue is for what we found.

But we did find some stuff messed up bad.

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Took the Dakota to the track this weekend. It was bitter cold and wet - 62 degrees ambient, 75% humidity (incidentally, 75 grains), 1700 feet DA.

The gear change made a huge difference. Not sure if the converter change did anything at all.

Taking these 6 year old DOT radials off and putting a 28x9 slick on. Gonna try to go back out December 4th, weather permitting.

Even on the crappy old tires, it's lifting the left front tire off the ground for just a moment. But initial traction isn't happening. Hopefully the slicks fix that.

Also need to adjust the traction bars significantly.

Best pass was 7.32 (previous 7.67)

@Nitro Dude @BobbyFord

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
Took the Dakota to the track this weekend. It was bitter cold and wet - 62 degrees ambient, 75% humidity (incidentally, 75 grains), 1700 feet DA.

The gear change made a huge difference. Not sure if the converter change did anything at all.

Taking these 6 year old DOT radials off and putting a 28x9 slick on. Gonna try to go back out December 4th, weather permitting.

Even on the crappy old tires, it's lifting the left front tire off the ground for just a moment. But initial traction isn't happening. Hopefully the slicks fix that.

Also need to adjust the traction bars significantly.

Best pass was 7.32 (previous 7.67)

@Nitro Dude @BobbyFord
Nice job staging... you flickered the bottom bulb perfect. Big Jim would have been proud of you. But, it did look like you rolled a little before you hit the gas and that would have threw the whole run off in a nitro car. :)

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Nice job staging... you flickered the bottom bulb perfect. Big Jim would have been proud of you. But, it did look like you rolled a little before you hit the gas and that would have threw the whole run off in a nitro car. :)
The crosspin in the differential has about 1/2 turn of driveshaft slop in it. The trans itself doesn't seem to have any creep in it, fortunately. I can't remember if I took an intentional bite or not when it flickered.

The pro tree is hard to concentrate on. Trying to start the recorder, stage, set the brake, swap feet, then let go - is alot to go on in only a couple of seconds. Same with using a delay box on long tree / top bulb.

I like the long tree / bottom bulb much better.

Picked up the 28x9 Pro Bracket Radials at Summit today. Tried to fit the metal stems in the wheels, no go. Will have to figure something out to get a socket on them, or grind the wheel.

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Got the stems in the wheels yesterday (channel-locks and a screwdriver, but working on grinding down a socket for long term needs), and got them mounted and balanced today. Also changed the traction bar configuration.

I need to work on:

Mount the water-methanol injection system pump
Move the data logger and wideband to a rocker switch instead of ignition
Move the primary battery
Add a second battery
Adjust the band
Make the front loop crossmember
Make the front loop transmission tie
Make the front loop attachment points
Make the exhaust tie strap

I want to test on December 4th or 5th ideally. Maybe not with all the changes fixed, but start working that direction.

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Been crawling around under the truck this week. Got the front driveshaft loop all done and driveshaft back in.

Figured out how to run the battery cables for the combined adding a battery & moving the existing battery. Also looked at my anchoring options.

I have a general idea for where to put the methanol injection pump, on the carrier bearing crossmember. Going to put the tank over/in front of the left rear fender.

As much as I really want the air compressor to be behind the axle, I am not sure it will be feasible. I found out the Viair compressors are not rated for "wet duty", so I am apprehensive to put it under the right rear bed corner like I was going to. I'd have to make a pretty big shield to keep it from getting coated in debris and spray. The entire back of the truck already has a layer of burnout rubber. It's also supposed to be mounted upright and in a well ventilated place.

My second thought was to mount it to the shock crossmember, but there's not really enough room for that without adding alot of structure.

So i may just put the compressor and tank where the battery is now. The compressor is 11 pounds, figure the tank is 4, call it 15 total. The battery is 38 pounds. So I'll still be adding 38 pounds to the left rear and moving 23 pounds behind the right rear. I can put both up high and leave the bed clear for putting supplies under. Also have to remember that I'll likely have roll cage bars going through the front of the bed, too.

I need to move the logger and wideband over to a rocker switch and make the tiebar for the exhaust.

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
I need to work on:

Mount the water-methanol injection system pump
Move the data logger and wideband to a rocker switch instead of ignition
Move the primary battery
Add a second battery
Adjust the band
Make the front loop crossmember
Make the front loop transmission tie
Make the front loop attachment points
Make the exhaust tie strap
Locate two camera mounting points

Need to adjust the band tomorrow night before putting it on the trailer.

Otherwise, ready for Saturday.

Top Bottom