Aric Almirola

Let's hope so. Nothing against Regan but it's not interesting seeing the same guy being passed around the garage. I liked seeing JGR put Jones in their cars back a couple of years ago.
Hopefully I'm right. Just seems odd to have this press conference Friday and announce this today. Unless the presser is just how long he'll he out, but that almost seems a waste.

^ I was not aware of that "top 50" rule, and it wouldn't seem right if Regan Smith showed up with his own car and wanted to enter the All Star weekend. However, Richard Petty Motorsports is a legitimate entrant, and they have a car built, sponsorship arranged, etc. It makes perfect sense to me that they can hire whoever they want to drive it (subject to some minimum Cup experience, which Smith does possess).

Still, it is a boring, uninteresting choice. I hope Biffle or Bubba is in the car for the World 600 and beyond. JMO.

^ I was not aware of that "top 50" rule, and it wouldn't seem right if Regan Smith showed up with his own car and wanted to enter the All Star weekend.

I wasn't aware of it either, but a Google search seems to reveal that this eligibility rule is real and goes back many years. I'm sure NASCAR would have found a rationale anyway, just as they did with Suarez in the Clash. But Smith was 34th in 2016 Cup points, and it appears Smith would be eligible to show up and drive for any team. I don't get what the exclusivity for a preliminary qualifying race called the "Open" is about anyway. What, are they afraid in this day and age that some unwashed short tracker is going to get his hands on a Cup car and show up and embarrass everyone at freaking Charlotte?

Regan is more deserving than Bubba

I guess that's your opinion...but if you say the guy 10th in truck points is more deserving than the guy 4th in xfinity points than sure...

You know in 2001 Jimmie Johnson wasn't worth a hoot and 99% of people would not say he was deserving of a cup ride either. Guys like Keller, Sawyer, Raines out ran him in the Busch series. Not saying bubba is Jimmie but....just saying.

I guess that's your opinion...but if you say the guy 10th in truck points is more deserving than the guy 4th in xfinity points than sure...

You know in 2001 Jimmie Johnson wasn't worth a hoot and 99% of people would not say he was deserving of a cup ride either. Guys like Keller, Sawyer, Raines out ran him in the Busch series. Not saying bubba is Jimmie but....just saying.
So...I'm confused... first you say Bubba is better because of Xfinity success, then your next thought expresses a view that Xfinity doesn't matter... well, anyway, Regan is a winner at the cup level so he's a pretty good option for a short term sub driver

A Race Organization's Opportunity for a replacement driver:

1. Giving rising talent that is being groomed for a Cup ride-- race experience in a Cup car.
2. Proven Cup veteran with solid race winning experience -- that can help the team improve with his experience and wisdom.

Regan Smith is neither. But I do like Regan, so I'm happy for him.

A Race Organization's Opportunity for a replacement driver:

1. Giving rising talent that is being groomed for a Cup ride-- race experience in a Cup car.
2. Proven Cup veteran with solid race winning experience -- that can help the team improve with his experience and wisdom.

Regan Smith is neither. But I do like Regan, so I'm happy for him.
Smith does have race winning experience.

Reactions: Pat
So...I'm confused... first you say Bubba is better because of Xfinity success, then your next thought expresses a view that Xfinity doesn't matter... well, anyway, Regan is a winner at the cup level so he's a pretty good option for a short term sub driver

Obviously you missed the point..

Yes I said bubba is more deserving at this point in time...Regan has been there done that washed up blah blah

Yes I am using JJ as a comparison because you say Bubba is less deserving....never did I say xfinity doesn't matter. What I'm saying if teams don't give youth a shot the sport will hurt.

so the ford7 you think Jack would let Bubba out of his contract to go drive a Petty car in cup? And Bubba would go in the first place? Doesn't make much sense to me but a pipe dream from a Bubba fan.

so the ford7 you think Jack would let Bubba out of his contract to go drive a Petty car in cup? And Bubba would go in the first place? Doesn't make much sense to me but a pipe dream from a Bubba fan.

Jack is letting Chris Buescher drive a JTG (powered by RCR) Chevrolet.

what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

It means that a Petty FORD who runs ROUSH Yates motors, works with RFR. Is a hell of a lot closer than JTG Chevy. Plus the sponsorship has the 6 car in xfinity status completely unknown. They said they don't have sponsorship after may for that car. By the way I'm not that big of a bubba fan don't see a ton of potential in him.

like I said..what does that have to do with a driver selection for the Petty car. Petty knows who he wanted and he went with Regan Smith for whatever reason..could be anything. But I'm guessing Regan Smith wasn't locked in to drive a truck for Ricky Benton who BTW he is doing a heck of a job for compared to Benton's other years.

like I said..what does that have to do with a driver selection for the Petty car. Petty knows who he wanted and he went with Regan Smith for whatever reason..could be anything. But I'm guessing Regan Smith wasn't locked in to drive nothing but a truck for Ricky Benton who BTW he is doing a heck of a job for compared to Benton's other years.

what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You said that Jack wouldn't let Bubba do it. His past and present actions indicate that he'd have no issue with it. Remember that he also let Greg Biffle sub for Bobby Hamilton in the #55 Chevrolet.

I don't actually support Bubba getting the ride.

You said that Jack wouldn't let Bubba do it. His past and present actions indicate that he'd have no issue with it. Remember that he also let Greg Biffle sub for Bobby Hamilton in the #55 Chevrolet.

Lets not forget Chris Buscher being on loan right now to JTG Daughtry. I dont think for a second that Jack would decline Bubba getting the seat for a bit. I wouldn't mind Bubba in the car for a race or two but he really needs to focus on this Xfinity championship right now as he's having a great season so far and I dont think a win is to far off.

Wasn't that the truck Parker Kligermam was leading the points In?

Need to read that again.

Regan Smith is responsible for running the Sponsor Billboard around the track, and not wrecking RPM's car.

This has got to be the worst job of sponsor censoring Ive ever seen

IMG_9431.PNG

Nobody said Regan is the replacement for entirety of the time Almirola is out either. It's certaintly possible he could only be in for the open.
Exactly.

I mean with the top 50 rule, they didn't have to many choices anyway. They could have maybe got Biffle but that's about it probably. Bubba wouldn't have even an option for this race.

Maybe those others weren't interested in a short exhibition race with little chance of advancing to the main.

no kidding, I'm sure they are beating down the door to drive for a one car underfunded team for a couple of three races. Go out there and wreck one of Petty's race cars trying to make it go fast wheeee

Back
Top Bottom