At the age of 24 has Chase Elliott gained a couple steps?

Manufacturer points. Ouch if you are an e-yi e-yi Ota fan.

1701573599696.png

You just can’t go ZERO for the year on wins, as the franchise driver of the organization, it’s inexplicable and inexcusable.
I think you are a bit confused. :cuckoo: The award is for most popular driver. They give out a really big trophy AND a small golden car to the winningest driver. I know it is baffling for some of ya, but there are fans that actually like some drivers even though they don't win a race.

I think you are a bit confused. :cuckoo: The award is for most popular driver. They give out a really big trophy AND a small golden car to the winningest driver. I know it is baffling for some of ya, but there are fans that actually like some drivers even though they don't win a race.

woosh

Eddie D’Hondt is leaving. I was hoping for at least one new voice on that radio next year, but I didn’t want it to be Eddie… kinda hope Trey Poole doesn’t replace him.
To me Eddie D’Hondt is partially responsible for some of the times Chase has lost his cool the past few years. Especially the Kansas thing with Larson. He does nothing to calm Chase down and withholds facts he should be relaying to Chase to prevent things like that. In my opinion he talks Chase into getting more angry.

That being said, he was also a great spotter with a ton of experience and whoever comes in is going to have big shoes to fill.

the random ziggy/zaggy lines of HMS paint schemes continue. I do like the solid blue though

Reactions: sdj
the random ziggy/zaggy lines of HMS paint schemes continue. I do like the solid blue though

Ugh.

It doesn't look terrible, but man, these HMS schemes should be sooooooo much better. 75% of their paint schemes have the same thoughtless/lazy/tacky styling elements, so clearly they are using the same designer for the majority of their paint schemes, and whoever it is needs fired.

I like the focus on blue for sure.

Yeah, I'm happy to see the blue. But the rest? It looks like detailing tape that someone forgot to remove around the upper grille. The white striping looks like some kid was practicing how to pinstripe and went overboard, and of course it runs up the A-pillar, because this designer insists on having an A-pillar stripe. Lastly, we have the random vertical zaggy line running up the side. Clearly because they wanted to incorporate some yellow into the scheme, but had no idea how to do it, so sure, let's just make a random yellow line on the side. But hey, at least it forms around the NAPA logo :rolleyes:

Also, I'm pretty sure this "new" '24 scheme is just a combination of last year's standard NAPA scheme, and the NAPA Gold scheme they ran once or twice. So they basically took two bad designs, and combined them. Thoughtless, tacky, LAZY.

Go look at the designs on any RFK or Trackhouse car over the last few years, and tell me these HMS schemes are acceptable. You can't do it.

I don't hate it, but I preferred the mostly white scheme from the last few years . Much easier to see on the track. I agree 100% that the HMS schemes are sub-par at best most of the time. The 24 Axalta and Raptor schemes are beyond awful. The 5 is OK, but that scheme hasn't changed much since Jack Sprague drive the GMAC truck 25 years ago. The Ally schemes range from OK to ehh.

Ugh.

It doesn't look terrible, but man, these HMS schemes should be sooooooo much better. 75% of their paint schemes have the same thoughtless/lazy/tacky styling elements, so clearly they are using the same designer for the majority of their paint schemes, and whoever it is needs fired.
It's a looooonnnggg way from someone talented like Sam Bass designing the 24 and 5 for HMS. You're exactly right, whoever is doing these paint schemes for them is lazy, soulless, clueless and devoid of creativity. It's like they are using a Windows 95 version of Microsoft Paint to do these schemes, I've honestly seen better schemes done by a 13 year old on twitter.

I am having flashbacks to when the blue #9 Coors Light car was introduced for what turned out to be Bill's last year in the 9 Melling car. That year was a large disappointment much like Chase's 2023 season. I am glad to see Chase won MPD again this year. As I have said on other threads, when you go to the tracks I have been to recently, which include Loudon, Richmond, and Talledega - It's not even close judging by gear. Much like it used to be with JR gear, it seems to be 80% Elliott gear and the only other one that really seemed to have major representation was Larson. Yet there seems to be this push to find reasons to dislike Chase and Kyle Busch is saying the gap has narrowed for MPD. What Chase did to Denny at Charlottle last year really has people questioning him. I am sure new Blaney fans will be everywhere now that he won a title so will be interesting to see if Chase continues to have sub-par years how many loyal fans there really are in this sport. Bill won it every year from 1995-2000 without winning a single race.

It's a looooonnnggg way from someone talented like Sam Bass designing the 24 and 5 for HMS. You're exactly right, whoever is doing these paint schemes for them is lazy, soulless, clueless and devoid of creativity. It's like they are using a Windows 95 version of Microsoft Paint to do these schemes, I've honestly seen better schemes done by a 13 year old on twitter.

Exactly! Well said. I don't know what art school they attended, but they should be embarrassed to call themselves graphic designers. And one thing is clear, they aren't car/racing people, because they have no idea what looks good or how to balance a scheme or work with the body lines in a tasteful manner.

And it's not just HMS who uses these clowns, I have seen them do a couple RCR schemes as well. The random A-pillar stripe is a dead giveaway, and the way they kill the stripe along the side to make room for the number is another of their tacky trademarks......

AD.jpg

It looks like a complete afterthought. Oh, you mean a number needs to go there? Whoops, better clear some room!

Any real designer would simply "wrap" the stripe around the number, which looks 100x better....

TD.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure this "new" '24 scheme is just a combination of last year's standard NAPA scheme, and the NAPA Gold scheme they ran once or twice. So they basically took two bad designs, and combined them. Thoughtless, tacky, LAZY.

Go look at the designs on any RFK or Trackhouse car over the last few years, and tell me these HMS schemes are acceptable. You can't do it.
didnt know Willy B was getting a new Axalta scheme, did it debut today too?

Agreed. It's crazy that we see such ho-hum schemes on track and then you see amateur designers on social media putting out concept schemes for free that are better than the real thing.

On the new 9 NAPA scheme, I'm not a fan. Seems pretty blah to me. Maybe it'll look better on track...

I don't hate it, but I preferred the mostly white scheme from the last few years . Much easier to see on the track. I agree 100% that the HMS schemes are sub-par at best most of the time. The 24 Axalta and Raptor schemes are beyond awful. The 5 is OK, but that scheme hasn't changed much since Jack Sprague drive the GMAC truck 25 years ago. The Ally schemes range from OK to ehh.
Which is crazy because HMS schemes used to knock it out of the park. Or should I say Sam Bass schemes. When you look at the legacy of HMS schemes since the 90s and then look at the crop of designs from the past seven years or so, it's hard to believe the same organization approved all of them.

Ugh.

Hard Days for The Chain Gang. Fanbase is pissed.

To me Eddie D’Hondt is partially responsible for some of the times Chase has lost his cool the past few years. Especially the Kansas thing with Larson. He does nothing to calm Chase down and withholds facts he should be relaying to Chase to prevent things like that. In my opinion he talks Chase into getting more angry.

That being said, he was also a great spotter with a ton of experience and whoever comes in is going to have big shoes to fill.
The only time I got really upset with Eddie was the famous Dover race when Newman blocked him and KFB ran him down. He 1) could t get Newman out of way (then again who could) and 2) made Chase think he was going to be ok with gap and lap times when Gustafson was screaming “tell him to go, that’s not right! He’s going to catch us!”

At the 600 when he hooked Denny, even Eddie was like “whoah, what was that?”

Which is crazy because HMS schemes used to knock it out of the park. Or should I say Sam Bass schemes. When you look at the legacy of HMS schemes since the 90s and then look at the crop of designs from the past seven years or so, it's hard to believe the same organization approved all of them.
Wonder how much of that is from when the switch to wrap versus paint happened and then the emphasis on schemes being used to trick the Hawkeye…. HMS started adding stripes on their A pillars, SHR had the black rear quarters no matter what sponsor…

I think team quit caring about paint schemes when year long sponsors went away. I mean heck even some sponsors have multiple schemes for the same season. It's pretty simple - Increase quantity and decrease quality

Back
Top Bottom