Atlanta Motor Speedway 2022 update

Phelps better call a meeting. This isn't a good look for a series that I think was gaining momentum. Should the drivers be consulted for new venues? Where does it end? I agree with Kyle Petty on this...On NASCAR Radio he said that the drivers should be consulted on everything safety related, but other than that....drive the damn car.

ask a driver: the racing surface at Atlanta is just fine as it is

1625672542375.png

I don't think the drivers are looking for ways to make it difficult to drive. But I think the fans do want it that way. Different perspectives.

Carl Edwards, Dale Jr, Clint Bowyer, Brad Keselowski, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch.

Basically some of the biggest names in the modern era of NASCAR racing.
So two of them that still drives cup. What I don't understand is why does Kyle Busch want's a more difficult track to drive but if they give him a difficult car to drive he screams like a 4 year old that had their favorite toy taken away?

I'm sick of iRacing being taken as gospel, and I iRace. It's good *for a video game*, but they've had a years long battle with things like tire behavior at different temps, how tires react to different camber levels, etc. It gets patched a lot to keep improving it, but it still shouldn't be used to guarantee a real life track change in my opinion. I would rather see the drivers get input on a track reconfig than have a bunch of NASCAR execs who have never raced just watch an iRacing demo and high five.

Thank you. It's an impressive but limited piece of software with abundant flaws to anyone who watches with any discernment. The "simulation" is only as good as the data that the designers feed it.

So two of them that still drives cup. What I don't understand is why does Kyle Busch want's a more difficult track to drive but if they give him a difficult car to drive he screams like a 4 year old that had their favorite toy taken away?
Because a track thats hard to drive but with a car thats competitive relative to the rest of the field is a good challenge. But when your car sucks more all the rest you don't have a challenge, you just have a bad/unproductive day.

Because a track thats hard to drive but with a car thats competitive relative to the rest of the field is a good challenge. But when your car sucks more all the rest you don't have a challenge, you just have a bad/unproductive day.
Thanks, I kind of figured that may be the reason but I just wanted someone to confirm it.

The vast majority of drivers argue for the cars to be more difficult to drive. That means more power and less downforce / grip. It's much more difficult to find a successful driver who actually advocates for something else.

Executives argue in favor of entertainment and "what the fans want", and by that they mean a specific sort of easily bored casual viewer that they have spent decades cultivating and catering to.

Last edited:
The vast majority of drivers argue for the cars to be more difficult to drive. That means more power and less downforce / grip. It's much more difficult to find a successful driver who actually advocates for something else.

Executives argue in favor of entertainment and "what the fans want", and by that they mean a specific sort of easily bored casual viewer that they have spent decades cultivating and catering to.
The third component is the type and difficulty of the track. Watching cars for 3 hours racing single file on a one lane race track hasn't worked for Atlanta. It's time to move on, past the time. The car has.

Nailed it. Especially the part in bold. This has been NASCAR's biggest problem for the last 15-20 years.

yeah the bold part has set two records in the past two weekends. More campers in the infield EVER at Pocono, and the most fans EVER in the long history of Elkhart Lake (Road America)

Tony is weighing in on RFs.com debate, I'll leave this here as I think it is relatable to today's topic of conversation

yeah the bold part has set two records in the past two weekends. More campers in the infield EVER at Pocono, and the most fans EVER in the long history of Elkhart Lake (Road America)

The inclusion of Road America is the opposite of dumbing down or making the series more appealing to casual "sports fans". Which I suppose helps explain the high race fan attendance and lower than normal holiday weekend TV viewership.

The inclusion of Road America is the opposite of dumbing down or making the series more appealing to casual "sports fans". Which I suppose helps explain the high race fan attendance and lower than normal holiday weekend TV viewership.
I would venture to say, casual fans would have no idea what Road America was or where its even located. Thats fine get them out to the track.... make them every week fans... that move I know many hardcore NASCAR fans were very excited to see Road America included on the schedule. I know I was.

I would venture to say, casual fans would have no idea what Road America was or where its even located. Thats fine get them out to the track.... make them every week fans... that move I know many hardcore NASCAR fans were very excited to see Road America included on the schedule. I know I was.
I was seeing how the crowd shots at Road America were showing a much younger crowd and Pocono also. Pretty much B.S. IMO about the so called "real" Nascar fans and the casual fan as it is called. Making up something to fit a narrative I believe they call it. This My fandom is better than your fandom works for some I guess. Seem awful petty to me, and the turnstiles taking the money could care less who thinks what when it is counted. A full house is a full house.

Hell, I didn’t know where Road America was until
I looked it up.

Reactions: sdj

I have to agree with Denny on SMI's track record on messing around with their tracks. They totally messed up Texas by making 1 and 2 the way it is. Kentucky was a decent track. But without seeing how Cup cars would do on it for a long period of time, they tweak it and made it worse. I was in favor of the changes at Bristol. The racing is better, but fans wanting bumping, banging, wrecks, mad drivers. So they spend a fortune to put dirt on it. Now they're taking one of the best tracks on the schedule and making it narrower. Just repave it and leave it alone. In a couple of years of seasoning, Atlanta would be back to itself.

I was seeing how the crowd shots at Road America were showing a much younger crowd and Pocono also. Pretty much B.S. IMO about the so called "real" Nascar fans and the casual fan as it is called. Making up something to fit a narrative I believe they call it. This My fandom is better than your fandom works for some I guess. Seem awful petty to me, and the turnstiles taking the money could care less who thinks what when it is counted. A full house is a full house.
Its not a fandom vs fandom measuring contest. It's making sure these newbies like the product enough to come back the next time the circus comes through town and not just because its the "cool thing" to do. I saw this happen in real time with Chicagoland Speedway, people thought it was great then for some reason whatever it was they stopped showing up, the turnstiles as you referred to up above in your post stopped turning. . Now we're not even on the calendar and rumors are its going to be torn down. I dont think there's anything wrong with trying not to repeat that history.

Its not a fandom vs fandom measuring contest. It's making sure these people like the product enough to come back the next time the circus comes through town and not just because its the "cool thing" to do. I saw this happen in real time with Chicagoland Speedway, people thought it was great then for some reason whatever it was they stopped showing up, the turnstiles as you referred to up above in your post stopped turning. . Now we're not even on the calendar and rumors are its going to be torn down. I dont think there's anything wrong with trying not to repeat that history.
Yeah I said that.

Back
Top Bottom