Atlanta Motor Speedway 2022 update

Sorry I was confused. Your post 72 said casual fans didn't know where the track was located so I took that to mean only REAL fans filled the place to record attendance.
Oh yeah it did say that but I wasnt meaning to make it a Real vs Casual. Money is money, its all green. Hopefully most everyone if not more come back to RA next year.

I would rather see the drivers get input on a track reconfig than have a bunch of NASCAR execs who have never raced just watch an iRacing demo and high five.
What happens when the drivers disagree?

I was seeing how the crowd shots at Road America were showing a much younger crowd and Pocono also.
So the NASCAR demographic is lowering based on a television viewer's assessment? Okay then! More men than women? Did pets come? What else can you tell me?

Can you imagine what it would be like to get a room full of drivers to agree on anything?
No kidding. The most selfish SOB's on the face of the planet, and that's why we love them.

Executives argue in favor of entertainment and "what the fans want", and by that they mean a specific sort of easily bored casual viewer that they have spent decades cultivating and catering to.
Execs are in favor of what the TV audience wants. That isn't the same thing as what the fans want.

yeah the bold part has set two records in the past two weekends. More campers in the infield EVER at Pocono, and the most fans EVER in the long history of Elkhart Lake (Road America)
Campers are fans. They're only a subset of the TV audience. And a lot those folks are coming off COVID restrictions and would have gone to watch dachshund steeplechase as along as they could attend.

Which is not to say those two tracks didn't put on good races, but they aren't pack races or 1.5-mile tri- / quad-ovals.

Campers are fans. They're only a subset of the TV audience. And a lot those folks are coming off COVID restrictions and would have gone to watch dachshund steeplechase as along as they could attend.

Which is not to say those two tracks didn't put on good races, but they aren't pack races or 1.5-mile tri- / quad-ovals.
Maybe you can help the track owners count the money of this "only a subset". I wonder if the camper subset watches races on TV. The R-F experts when it was first announced that Pocono was going to two dates had their predictable the sky is falling melt down. You weren't one of those were ya?

I have to agree with Denny on SMI's track record on messing around with their tracks. They totally messed up Texas by making 1 and 2 the way it is. Kentucky was a decent track. But without seeing how Cup cars would do on it for a long period of time, they tweak it and made it worse. I was in favor of the changes at Bristol. The racing is better, but fans wanting bumping, banging, wrecks, mad drivers. So they spend a fortune to put dirt on it. Now they're taking one of the best tracks on the schedule and making it narrower. Just repave it and leave it alone. In a couple of years of seasoning, Atlanta would be back to itself.

Bristol is awesome since the redo. I’m not quite sure how a 40’ track will work to be honest. That is incredibly narrow on a fresh track. Good luck passing lol

I'm not asking for all of them to agree. What I'm saying is that their input is valuable and should be considered in the decision making process. A driver is going to give a different perspective than an exec in a suit and may have ideas that had not have been thought of in a boardroom meeting beforehand.

They race like normal. Nobody cares about driver input on how private venues operate their own facilities. They race the track they are presented with. You think 35 extra chefs in the kitchen makes the kitchen operate more efficiently?

Engineers, planners, track execs, general contractors all around the table studying the prints...and somebody says wait! lets go ask Danny Hamlin what he thinks.

Or Kyle Larson. Or Kevin Harvick. Or Tony Stewart. Or take your pick. Let's be clear. This is the "What do those dumb race car drivers know about what good racing is?" position. Suits watching from suites know better.

Or Kyle Larson. Or Kevin Harvick. Or Tony Stewart. Or take your pick. Let's be clear. This is the "What do those dumb race car drivers know about what good racing is?" position. Suits watching from suites know better.
Every driver has a different preferred type of feel and style of driving. How many different opinions is sufficient to make a rational decision?

Every driver has a different preferred type of feel and style of driving. How many different opinions is sufficient to make a rational decision?
Yeah, Briscoe on Race Hub wanted a track like Homestead. They already have a Homestead. I'm happy they are getting rid of yet another 1.5. It's getting close to if you don't like the track come back next week it will be different. Instead of if you didn't like 1.5 racing you were stuck with a whole season of it to look forward to. There are going to be fans who are going to like the new config of Atlanta next year. ;) I know I will, it would be really hard to make the racing worse. The fans have been screaming for more track variety for years. Now they get it and it is like oh no, not THAT variety.

There is a clear and obvious driver consensus on several broad topics involving car and track design. These preferences are known, and those who seek to obscure or discount them (usually by making fun of a single driver who speaks out) are those who happen to disagree and desire low power pack racing.

Of course there are differences of opinion on finer points among all groups. Pointedly demeaning the knowledge and consensus preferences of drivers is poor management. Those who engage in it have a shaky track record themselves, which is what Hamlin pointed out.

I was seeing how the crowd shots at Road America were showing a much younger crowd and Pocono also. Pretty much B.S. IMO about the so called "real" Nascar fans and the casual fan as it is called. Making up something to fit a narrative I believe they call it. This My fandom is better than your fandom works for some I guess. Seem awful petty to me, and the turnstiles taking the money could care less who thinks what when it is counted. A full house is a full house.

Its not a fandom vs fandom measuring contest. It's making sure these newbies like the product enough to come back the next time the circus comes through town and not just because its the "cool thing" to do. I saw this happen in real time with Chicagoland Speedway, people thought it was great then for some reason whatever it was they stopped showing up, the turnstiles as you referred to up above in your post stopped turning. . Now we're not even on the calendar and rumors are its going to be torn down. I dont think there's anything wrong with trying not to repeat that history.
Back in the late 90s and the turn of the century, NASCAR was filling every seat available BECAUSE it was the cool thing to do. So many of those butts in the seat were never race fans. We used to go to Charlotte every year and at one point there were 20 of us. Out of those 20, only a handful actually watched the races on TV or followed NASCAR in any form each week. Out of those 20 I only know of 2 of us still closely following. You are right,, NASCAR does have to cater to the casual fan.

Maybe it was just Dennis that wasn’t consulted

The SMI executive that they chose to field questions on the day of the announcement, Steve Swift, answered a question about whether drivers were consulted by disparaging the opinions of drivers as not the direction they want to go.

Marcus Smith is a better speaker, so he's smoothing things over. He didn't name a single driver, and no driver has said a word about being involved.

In the words of Eddie Gossage " Shut up and Drive"
If I was one of the driver's Eddie was talking about when he said that, I would have punched him in the mouth. The track was absolutely unsafe at that point.

I'm more interested in being able to see the continuing progress of the construction than what Hambone thinks about it. They don't have much time to get it all done.

going to have to do some splaining on that one.
Sorry for the delay.

TV audiences include casual viewers who aren't necessarily fans. All those campers in the infield are fans, but they're only a hundred thousand or so at most. TV's goal is to get as many eyeballs as possible, and to do whatever is legal to get them. Their preferred techniques to draw millions in aren't necessarily what track owners would use to get a 100K-plus. But since TV writes the big checks these days, NASCAR understandably pays attention. See playoffs and stage breaks, for example.

That was all of a point I was trying to make.

Plates have been announced?
I admit I'm basing my opinion on the 'Changes to schedule' discussion, where pack racing is presented as a done deal. =IF= that's not true, I have no objections to the reconfiguration. If the teams aren't forced into a Talladega- / Daytona-style pack, I won't care what SMI does to the place.

Sorry for the delay.

TV audiences include casual viewers who aren't necessarily fans. All those campers in the infield are fans, but they're only a hundred thousand or so at most. TV's goal is to get as many eyeballs as possible, and to do whatever is legal to get them. Their preferred techniques to draw millions in aren't necessarily what track owners would use to get a 100K-plus. But since TV writes the big checks these days, NASCAR understandably pays attention. See playoffs and stage breaks, for example.

That was all of a point I was trying to make.

I wonder how many REAL fans watched in comparison to UNREAL fans, Can't have UNREAL campers

Today we take a crusty old 1977 Coachmen Leprechaun on a 500 mile road trip to a NASCAR RACE!!

Back
Top Bottom