Austin Dillon's #3 Cup ride in 2014?

Rumored but unconfirmed sponsors for the No. 3 include Dow Chemical, which has a long history with RCR, General Mills and Jack Daniel's.

from here

Will that be accompanied by a huge public outcry from Earnhardt fans about the use of the #3 , thereby demeaning fans of such iconic numbers as the 43 , 9 , 21 , 28 , and many more ?

Will that be accompanied by a huge public outcry from Earnhardt fans about the use of the #3 , thereby demeaning fans of such iconic numbers as the 43 , 9 , 21 , 28 , and many more ?
Not from this Earnhardt fan. I can't wait to see the number back on the track Sunday afternoons. I'll enjoy being able to root for the 3 once again. If for some unforeseen reason AD turns out to be a total ahole then I'll complain but win or lose I'll be there.

Not from this Earnhardt fan. I can't wait to see the number back on the track Sunday afternoons. I'll enjoy being able to root for the 3 once again. If for some unforeseen reason AD turns out to be a total ahole then I'll complain but win or lose I'll be there.
I won't complain, either. I WANT to see that number back on the track. Just like I want to see the 28 come back.
I loved to watch Richard Petty in the 43. When I see it now, it brings good memories --- I'd hate to see it disappear.

It's time to bring the 3 back out. Let'er rip, Austin.

I won't complain, either. I WANT to see that number back on the track. Just like I want to see the 28 come back.
I loved to watch Richard Petty in the 43. When I see it now, it brings good memories --- I'd hate to see it disappear.

It's time to bring the 3 back out. Let'er rip, Austin.
Just so you know..... I tried to click the 'Like' button twice but that didn't work so you'll have to settle for just one 'Like' from me. ;)

I'm talking about Austin, of course.

The point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of second and third generation drivers in the sport. Richard followed his father and had a lot of money even though it was sponsor dollars.

All 43 cup drivers are the top 43 in the world. There are literally hundreds of people who have gone bankrupt trying to race at cup level. All the money in the world will not make a driver competitive and keep them in the sport.

The point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of second and third generation drivers in the sport. Richard followed his father and had a lot of money even though it was sponsor dollars.

All 43 cup drivers are the top 43 in the world. There are literally hundreds of people who have gone bankrupt trying to race at cup level. All the money in the world will not make a driver competitive and keep them in the sport.

I completely agree.
I was just giving my opinion to dp's question as to why some people don't like him.

Austin got the 'opportunity' to race in the big leagues due to his family connections like a very long list of drivers before him. IMO he's proven himself worthy of being where he is. I'm fine with him, and don't have a problem with him racing the 3 in the Cup series. I had a feeling years ago it would be him.

Its like RCR is trying to make a huge deal about this and making an attempt to hide something everyone already knows

Gil Martin to be Austin Dillon crew chief: Sponsors ... Dow Chemicals, Bass Pro; Realtree, General Mills.

BbOGzSAIQAAEmLb.jpg:large

No argument from Dale Jr. over No. 3's return

Dale Jr.: 'The number is more of a bank that you just deposit history into.'

The No. 3 will ride again in NASCAR's premier series, and the son of the driver who made it famous is just fine with the return of one of NASCAR's most iconic car numbers.

Richard Childress Racing has announced that NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Austin Dillon will make the jump to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series next year, and bring with him the No. 3 he's used at the national level to this point. That means the number will return to competition at NASCAR's highest level for the first time since the Daytona 500 in 2001, Dale Earnhardt's final race.

Earnhardt also drove for Childress, who used the number himself before the Intimidator took it over in 1984. Dillon, who is Childress' grandson, has used the No. 3 throughout a career that's included two full seasons on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series as well as a pair of campaigns on the Nationwide tour. Now he'll carry it to the Sprint Cup level, and there's been no bigger proponent of such a move than Dale Earnhardt Jr.

read the rest here

I've got not problem with them running the 3, but i'd prefer if they didnt bring back the white 3 on the black background. I'm sure Austin would rather make his own story with his own style 3 instead of trying to run in Dale's shadow.

I like what Jr. said too.

He will do fine. Austin will be a fine driver, but that with the three on the roof of that DOW version gives me goosebumps. Both cars look very nice, but I hope Austin makes his own story with it.

@dcaraviello
Bottom line on Austin in 3: If it's OK with RC, and it's OK with Dale Jr., and it's OK with Big E's friends and crewmen, then deal with it.

I've got not problem with them running the 3, but i'd prefer if they didnt bring back the white 3 on the black background. I'm sure Austin would rather make his own story with his own style 3 instead of trying to run in Dale's shadow.

I like what Jr. said too.

I agree and have also been saying Dillon's #3 should have a different styling to differentiate himself from Earnhardt. At least the number on Dillon's primary car is red, so hopefully he will be associated with that instead of the white three.

I'm indifferent to the 3 coming back, but both of those paint schemes look pretty good. I like it.

I got no issue's, I like both paintschemes, can't wait to see them on track...

Back
Top Bottom