Best broadcasting crew ever

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
I’d have to agree reddit...

22BC9EB2-76B8-4415-9234-2DD09546A41A.png

Ken Squier & Chris Enconomaki on the same broadcast was a winning combo when I heard it.

i became a fan in the 90s... so I heard a good bit of Squier... but I’ve gone back watch watched races where Ken and Chris are apart of the same broadcast and I cannot get enough. It’s magic!

Ken Squier & Chris Enconomaki on the same broadcast was a winning combo when I heard it.

i became a fan in the 90s... so I heard a good bit of Squier... but I’ve gone back watch watched races where Ken and Chris are apart of the same broadcast and I cannot get enough. It’s magic!
I think that was around the time they had the Scottish guy as the pit road/ roving reporter. What was his name- for the life of me I can't remember!?! I liked him- much better goofball than the one they have now LOL!

But nobody cares about Bill "Hurricane Hair" Webber and his meltdown at a Manchester New Hampshire hotel during race week...

Barney Hall and Ned Jarrett on the old MRN.

I think that was around the time they had the Scottish guy as the pit road/ roving reporter. What was his name- for the life of me I can't remember!?! I liked him- much better goofball than the one they have now LOL!

David Hobbs. He was awesome as well!

I've been watching a lot of old races on youtube and never realized until now how good BP and Allen Bestwick were.

In 1964 Eddie Sachs and Dave McDonald were killed on lap 2 of the Indianapolis 500. It was a horrendous crash that had to leave everyone stunned and in shock.

While they were cleaning up the track Sid Collins told the fans and world via radio that Eddie was dead (McDonalds death would be announced two hours later).
Like most all us I was too young to remember the event but the speech or eulogy provided by Collins was an incredibile thing.

He spoke with dignity and respect about Eddie Sachs. He honoured Sachs.

"You heard the announcement from the public address system. There’s not a sound. Men are taking off their hats. People are weeping. There are over 300,000 fans here not moving. Disbelieving. "Some men try to conquer life in a number of ways. These days of our outer space attempts some men try to conquer the universe. Race drivers are courageous men who try to conquer life and death and they calculate their risks. And with talking with them over the years I think we know their inner thoughts in regards to racing. They take it as part of living. "A race driver who leaves this earth mentally when he straps himself into the ****pit to try what for him is the biggest conquest he can make (are) aware of the odds and Eddie Sachs played the odds. He was serious and frivolous. He was fun. He was a wonderful gentleman. He took much needling and he gave much needling. Just as the astronauts do perhaps. "These boys on the racetrack ask no quarter and they give none. If they succeed, they’re a hero and if they fail, they tried. And it was Eddie’s desire and will to try with everything he had, which he always did. So the only healthy way perhaps we can approach the tragedy of the loss of a friend like Eddie Sachs is to know that he would have wanted us to face it as he did. As as it has happened, not as we wish it would have happened. It is God’s will, I’m sure, and we must accept that. "We are all speeding toward death at the rate of 60 minutes every hour, the only difference is, we don’t know how to speed faster, and Eddie Sachs did. So since death has a thousand or more doors, Eddie Sachs exits this earth in a race car. Knowing Eddie, I assume that’s the way he would have wanted it. Byron said, 'who the Gods love die young.' "Eddie was 37. To his widow Nancy we extend our extreme sympathy and regret. And to his two children. This boy won the pole here in 1961 and 1962. He was a proud race driver. Well, as we do at Indianapolis and in racing, as the World Champion Jimmy Clark I’m sure would agree as he’s raced all over the world, the race continues. Unfortunately today without Eddie Sachs. And we’ll be restarting it in just a few moments."

It was a short amount of time he spent in the booth, but Neil Bonnett was one of the very best driver analysts there ever was. Buddy Baker might have been the funniest. Benny Parsons was just a treasure. Even in his over excited moments, he was totally lovable. Bob Jenkins was not the best pure announcer to ever do the job, but he had a lot of good qualities. Barney Hall was the gold standard, and Ned Jarrett was near the top too. We owe a lot to Ken Squier, but I never thought he was really all that great of an actual announcer, but a Hall of Famer either way. The late Larry Nuber was VERY good. I've always been a big Mike Joy guy, but he seemed a little off this year. I thought Bill Weber was a darn good announcer, but maybe just a little stiff sometimes. I wasn't sure about Allen Bestwick early on, but he really grew on me. Sid Collins of Indy 500 fame defined radio race broadcasting for nearly 30 years.

But nobody cares about Bill "Hurricane Hair" Webber and his meltdown at a Manchester New Hampshire hotel during race week...
Refresh me on that? I don’t know that I ever heard the entire story on what got him fired?

I remember fondly Benny, Ned, and Bob as they were the usuals when I enjoyed NASCAR the most. I never understood what was so special about Squire and Economacki? They seemed as if the sport had passed them by in the 90’s except to constantly talk about the 3, even when he was a non-factor. Of course, I do understand they were regarded as 2 journalists that helped to get the sport to the forefront. They just annoyed the heck out of me.

@ Ford222 : Weber and commentators Wally Dallenbach, Jr. and Benny Parsons made cameo appearances as themselves in the 2006 Will Ferrell NASCAR comedy Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. In 2009, while in New Hampshire to cover the NASCAR Sprint Cup race, Weber was suspended by TNT and was not allowed to call the race or appear on the air. TNT senior vice president Sal Petruzzi stated: “As this is a private issue, it’s the policy of the company not to discuss personal matters involving our employees.”[4] Other reports indicated that Weber got into a loud confrontation in his hotel lobby regarding complaints about his hotel room.[5] On July 1, 2009, TNT and NASCAR announced that Weber would be replaced by Ralph Sheheen for the final two races of TNT's 2009 schedule.[6] Weber was retained by NBC to call races for its coverage of the American Le Mans Series.[citation

I always thought there HAD to be something more to the Bill Weber story than was reported, But I have no idea what.

Word is he's working as an illusionist in Florida..Sure did make his career disappear...

I never understood what was so special about Squire and Economacki? They seemed as if the sport had passed them by in the 90’s except to constantly talk about the 3, even when he was a non-factor. Of course, I do understand they were regarded as 2 journalists that helped to get the sport to the forefront. They just annoyed the heck out of me.
They were much better in the 70's and 80's. Two of the best.

The best team was Jenkins, Jarrett, and Parsons - not even close.

No love for Bobby Unser here? In addition to announcing Indy, he announced Nascar races for 6 years 1986-1992. Most of you whippersnappers would not remember him, but I appreciated the clear way he explained things.

No love for Bobby Unser here? In addition to announcing Indy, he announced Nascar races for 6 years 1986-1992. Most of you whippersnappers would not remember him, but I appreciated the clear way he explained things.

Bobby is an arrogant a-hole, but his constant berating of Sam Posey was certainly entertaining, if not very professional. Go online and watch Robin Miller's inpersonation of Bobby. Bobby was a legend on the track and an even bigger one in his mind.

Bobby is an arrogant a-hole, but his constant berating of Sam Posey was certainly entertaining, if not very professional. Go online and watch Robin Miller's inpersonation of Bobby. Bobby was a legend on the track and an even bigger one in his mind.
Pompous ass was the words I thought about Bobby Anser when I had to listen to him in the booth or his name was mentioned. ;) Didn't much care for Jackie Stewart, nothing personal, just had a hard time understanding him and he seemed to go off on tangents and go on and on. I think Stewart might have been the idea of another one of those network weasels, hey boys Stewart will bring in more fans who aren't rednecks, add some class with his accent. Hell if I know.

Little brother syndrome- knew he could never be the racer Al was.

Pompous ass was the words I thought about Bobby Anser when I had to listen to him in the booth or his name was mentioned. ;) Didn't much care for Jackie Stewart, nothing personal, just had a hard time understanding him and he seemed to go off on tangents and go on and on. I think Stewart might have been the idea of another one of those network weasels, hey boys Stewart will bring in more fans who aren't rednecks, add some class with his accent. Hell if I know.
I liked Jackie, enjoyed his enthusiasm and he always made it seem like whatever race it was - it was maybe the most important race ever LOL!

I gotta drop buddy bakers name in here... I honestly enjoyed him on some of those broadcasting teams during races. I thought his stories he’d share were absolutely great.

Buddy is easily my favorite of the drivers who stepped into the broadcasting booth.

@ Ford222 : Weber and commentators Wally Dallenbach, Jr. and Benny Parsons made cameo appearances as themselves in the 2006 Will Ferrell NASCAR comedy Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. In 2009, while in New Hampshire to cover the NASCAR Sprint Cup race, Weber was suspended by TNT and was not allowed to call the race or appear on the air. TNT senior vice president Sal Petruzzi stated: “As this is a private issue, it’s the policy of the company not to discuss personal matters involving our employees.”[4] Other reports indicated that Weber got into a loud confrontation in his hotel lobby regarding complaints about his hotel room.[5] On July 1, 2009, TNT and NASCAR announced that Weber would be replaced by Ralph Sheheen for the final two races of TNT's 2009 schedule.[6] Weber was retained by NBC to call races for its coverage of the American Le Mans Series.[citation
Thanks....that seems to be what I recall being released. Like someone else said I believe there had to be more to it than that for him to lose his job over?

Back
Top Bottom